Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By maxthecollie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2013, 00:08   #1

Heights Cottages

I used to live in one of Heights Cottages, on Sandy Lane around 1963. I remember the long walks to school (Benjamin Hargreaves) and there being no indoor toilets or hot water! But it was a magical place for a 9 year old to explore. The fields were endless, it seemed, and the Gamblers Caves were tantalizing. Does anyone know any history of these cottages?
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2013, 12:16   #2
I am Banned

Re: Heights Cottages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I used to live in one of Heights Cottages, on Sandy Lane around 1963. I remember the long walks to school (Benjamin Hargreaves) and there being no indoor toilets or hot water! But it was a magical place for a 9 year old to explore. The fields were endless, it seemed, and the Gamblers Caves were tantalizing. Does anyone know any history of these cottages?
Are these the ones, if so they were not actually in Sandy Lane, They are attached to Whittams farm, but you had to go up Sandy Lane to get there, then turn right at New House Farm, then into ????? puzzle for you. Not many people know the name of that lane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heights Cottages.a.jpg (64.6 KB, 56 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 17:38   #3

Hi Retlaw: yes, they look about right! Thanks for this photo - taken around 1900 I'm guessing? I lived in number 4, three from the right side of the picture if I'm not mistaken.

And just looking on Google Earth I can see what you mean by not being on Sandy Lane. Funny how memory deceives! Sadly I don't remember the name of the lane they were on, but the postal address was "Heights Cottages, Sandy Lane" (just found an old letter to my Dad with that address).

I remember from that time I had a kitten that got stuck up one of the trees in front. We got him down, but he soon disappeared for good. I was told he went to live with a lady cat over on Spire Farm, but I found out recently he actually got run over in the lane. Parents thought it kinder to lie to me, I guess!

Oh, the cold knees walking to school! Girls weren't allowed to wear long pants in those days - but they did make us run around for gym class in our knickers, go figure!!!

Thanks for letting me reminisce!
Turtle
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 20:26   #4
Senior Member+

The dry stone walls have now gone but the cottages are still there. It's on of our daily walks with Max
Turtle likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..