Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 15:08   #1

help on behalf of my elderly mum

My mum has been suffering for months with ants in her council flat, she has been told by hyndburn homes to buy powder and pesticides which you spray/ sprinkle in your carpet. She has been doing this and has spent a fortune on the stuff. I told her to ring hyndburn homes to get them to sort it out, she doesn't own the flat. She rang today firstly to be told ring enviro health, she did who told her to pay 25 pounds to come out and spray with an insecticide. She can't afford 25.pounds, and why should someone who is on pension and doesn't own the building pay this fee, the guy at hyndburn honest the second time was quite rude, you either pay the 25 pounds or put up with it?
Old 02-06-2011, 15:50   #2
God Member

Re: help on behalf of my elderly mum

We had an ant problem in the communal lounge, I went to Wilkinsons and got some Antstop and it cleared the problem in no time. Could be worth a try, it was less than four pounds
Old 02-06-2011, 16:03   #3
God Member

Some cheap home remedies here -
Home Remedies for Ants | eHow.com

The insecticides that would be used for the £25 treatment would do your mum more harm than the ants do, and there would be no guarantee that the ants wouldn't return.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 16:36   #4
God Member

Had a quick look to see who is responsible for pest control, I think it's the landlord and not the tenant .

The Standard Residential Tenancy Terms say that tenants must keep the place clean and not damage the premises (clause 63). If you follow your responsibilities under the Act and don’t cause an infestation of pests, then the landlord will be responsible for pest control as part of their responsibility to maintain the premises.

Tenants' Checklist
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 17:09   #5
God Member

The site you have linked looks like it is Australian (see web address)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 17:09   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
We had an ant problem in the communal lounge, I went to Wilkinsons and got some Antstop and it cleared the problem in no time. Could be worth a try, it was less than four pounds
I've had some problems over the years, with ants, I got some ant powder from the supermarket, the little blitters sure don't like it, they're soon on their way.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:18   #7
Resting in Peace

Tell here to get some "Nippon" it comes in small tubes its like a clear syrup all you do is put a few drops on a bit of slate or something and put it down where they are coming in to the flat or if you cant find where that is find a main path they are taking the ants will think its sugar and take it back to the queen it only takes a few days add a few drops each day .
no more ants costs a few pounds and well worth it.
I think Wilkinsons sell it but if you cant find it let me know as i still have a tube of it you can have as i say it only takes a few drops and no more ants

Last edited by Mick; 03-06-2011 at 04:21.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 20:27   #8

Just to let you all know we got some Nippon its in a bait box....no trace since, apart from a tonne of corpses! All's well that ends well.
Old 12-07-2011, 20:46   #9
Beacon of light

I like a happy ending......well, for your mum that is........the ants weren't so lucky I guess.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 09:54   #10
Resting in Peace

I haven't seen any in my gaff for months, yet on Sunday Joan was sweeping the passage outside my flat and she dashed back in asking where the ant powder was, it seems that on one of the walls in the corridor was covered with ants lots with wings, unfortunately for these little pests their lives were short lived they dont seem to like a squirt of this stuff, she looked the morning after no sign of movement what so ever just plenty of corpses, was wondering whether to send for Ducky
Old 14-07-2011, 14:56   #11

Glad the ant problem is sorted. I'm just as concerned with the rude attitude from the Hyndburn Homes member of staff that was so rude to you and feel strongly you should complain to them. Hyndburn homes spend umpteen thousands on promoting a good customer focused and caring attitude. Phone or write to Nigel Fenton the company's general manager.
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 17:52   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejoed View Post
Glad the ant problem is sorted. I'm just as concerned with the rude attitude from the Hyndburn Homes member of staff that was so rude to you and feel strongly you should complain to them. Hyndburn homes spend umpteen thousands on promoting a good customer focused and caring attitude. Phone or write to Nigel Fenton the company's general manager.
To be quite honest I've never ever had any problems whilst dealing with HH or for that matter HBC, things might change now concerning HBC because I may start moan more
Old 18-07-2011, 11:18   #13
Junior Member+

The thing to remember about ants is that when they go foraging, they leave a pheremone trail that they follow back home, and since at any one time there are probably many ants out foraging, they can turn up again after most of the nest is destroyed. If the queen is still alive they'll rebuild the nest so it's important to make sure the nest is completely destroyed and that the surrounding area of the nest is thoroughly cleaned to get rid of the pheremone trails.

The nest can actualy be completely destroyed without using any chemicals or poisons (not good if you have pets or small children) by simply pouring boiling water on it. This also causes any eggs to 'pop'.
Old 18-07-2011, 12:01   #14
God Member

was in Home and Bargain on Sunday and they had Nippon in there at 99p a tube if anyone wants some.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 19:30   #15
Bee
I am Banned

Buy it from B&Q Extra Blackburn, I believe they do a decent cheap one.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..