Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2008, 11:46   #1
Senior Member+

How much xmas spends?

I know christmas is not about the dosh but im interested.
Im spending minimal on family as they all know were scrimping and scraping due to that thing weddingy thing we did 7 weeks ago (i get a clearance book from Avon so most of their pressies are from there).
So far i have spent about £100 on Jack and reckon il spend another £20/30 on bits n pieces n stocking fillers (he gets alot of pressies cos im not with his dad so he gets him as much as i do usually so i never go overboard).
Im not sure how much im spending on hubby in total as he doesnt know what he wants
and on trimmings/food/drink and extras we will probaby spend about £100 in total (im good at budgeting and there is only 3 of us!)...
So how much are you lot spending on everyone/everything?

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2008, 11:56   #2

Re: How much xmas spends?

I have spent about £100 on each of my kids,about £20 on husband.
Everybody who doesnt have kids are getting a calender and a bottle of wine-equalling about £40 and those with kids are getting a tin of chocs-equalling about £20.
But unfortunatly its my husbands 30th birthday on boxing day and we are doing him a surprise birthday party which is costing about £550.
So even though christmas is under control boxing day isnt
mumtotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 12:15   #3
Senior Member+

Have got most of the boys stuff, just a few stocking fillers to get now and know i have easy spent £300 so far (havent kept count coz that would just be scary) Have 3 nieces and 2 nephews and they will get about £20 each spent on them and have spent £20 on fellas daughter. The adults will get about £10 / £20 each spent on them, not sure what fella wants so dont know what that will cost and then theres the children of close friends who will get little something and will probably spend around £100 on food shopping for the week over Xmas / New Year including treats, so all in all its bloody expensive!!!
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 12:26   #4
God Member

I've got four hundred pounds of high street vouchers plus hundred on Asda card, just can't motivate myself to get started.
Old 15-11-2008, 14:00   #5
God Member

i usually spend £200 on Reece, he wants a PSP this year so i'll buy him that and loads of other stuff, only spending a fiver each on my nieces and nephews this year cos i have so many of them, they usually get a tenner but i cant afford it this year so they'll just get what they are given
Old 15-11-2008, 16:03   #6
Passed away 25-11-09

We've had this discussion in the past and I'll repeat what I said before. I hate the way Christmas has become a spend-fest with people feeling they must spend at least £100 on each child and, often, buying them sackfuls of presents that cost a lot more. It's become a contest, with some people, how much they spend and that's not what Christmas should be about.

My grandchildren (one of whom is 23) will have about £30 worth each from me. My grown up children and their partners/spouses have everything they want so they get something a bit "different", say a food item or something they wouldn't normally buy, and it may only cost a few quid but it doesn't matter. It's us all being together that counts.
Old 15-11-2008, 16:16   #7

last year but one i sent all my loved ones a framed picture of myself only a post card size picture though,nobody complained, well to my face anyway,last year i gave them all a five pound voucher from argo's, i've never seen such a joyious look in my life like they say there's more happiness giving than receiving
stevie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 16:25   #8
Resting in Peace

the best present you can give kids is your TIME ..... :-) so I am told.
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 16:40   #9
God Member

Any amount spent at Christmas is to much in my opinion, i hate it, its all about money, money, money.......it puts people who can`t really afford it into debt and those that can just throw money at the kids.! i`m a real xmas humbug
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 17:02   #10
God Member

I have only 4 prezzies to 'buy' - they get £30 each cash
....I don't send cards......I don't trim up.....cos its all humbug

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 17:22   #11
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I have 2 kids and each are getting £200, my eldest wants cash...well she will be 15, bit old for toys now!
The youngest wants toys, but havent even started getting owt yet
Just doesnt feel like xmas anymore

I hope we get a white xmas
Old 15-11-2008, 17:35   #12

I couldn't even say!! We have 7 kids so as you can imagine, a flippin' fortune!!

Gail xxxx

http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/
'erindoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 17:57   #13
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Any amount spent at Christmas is to much in my opinion, i hate it, its all about money, money, money.......it puts people who can`t really afford it into debt and those that can just throw money at the kids.! i`m a real xmas humbug

Totally agree! It's ok when kiddies are little coz it can be quite magical. But for grown ups...

The adults...over 18..in our close & extended family don't buy prezzies for each other anymore. That way we can go and buy something for ourselves if we want to, that is really wanted/needed.

Haven't bought cards for a few years either, just make a small donation to a charity instead.

Only prezzies myself and Brian will be getting are for my 2 grandsons and his grandaughter.

As for the food...that has always annoyed me. It's a few days, can't justify the expense some people go to, it's ludicrous.

As for how much to spend on kiddies, you cut your cloth don't you? If you spend beyond your means to provide for Christmas, it sets a precedent all year round.

Remember one Christmas when my older kids were little, the only things they got were from jumbles, or cuddly toys I had made. Don't remember any complaints!

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 18:22   #14
God Member

[quote=Caz;651067)

As for the food...that has always annoyed me. It's a few days, can't justify the expense some people go to, it's ludicrous.

[/quote]

Yes, people start buying it in september....whats all that about..?
Old 15-11-2008, 18:23   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have only 4 prezzies to 'buy' - they get £30 each cash
....I don't send cards......I don't trim up.....cos its all humbug

EXCELLENT.......

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..