Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2007, 12:05   #1
God Member

Question Job Apps

Got an application form for a job & its a bit long winded 6 sheets of paper that my CV answers in 2 plus its modified specifically to the job & its applicable skills to the job in form too.

Is it a case i fill in the bits where i need to & apply the cv to the rest - in fact 4 sheets of paper would be saved - plus less writers cramp [thus proving im resourceful & time saving].

What do u think? Go for resourcefulness or go for the drawling templated application form

Advice appreciated

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-11-2007, 12:19   #2
God Member

Re: Job Apps

Ring and ask the secretary/foreman/whoever

I would fill it in, as they wouldn't give out a 6 page application form if they didn't want it filling in.
AccyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 12:50   #3
God Member

Depends what sort of Job it is.

In my game I would send CV.

If it was standard factory job where they might have hundreds of people doing same job I'd fill in their form.

I guess do you want to be seen as an awkward sod before you even start?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 12:53   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

They probably scan through the form to weed candidates before going through CVs. If you miss bits out, your form is more likely to end up in the WPB (Waste Paper Bin).

Good luck with the application.
Old 28-11-2007, 13:06   #5
God Member

Its to work in a school so its one of them long winded standard LCC non specific job app forms, personally WPB [like that westender lol] after trying to scan one of them things for key points of skills etc, whereas my cv is more specific to the job & to the point of interest to the employer, which is why i get more success with cover letter & cv rather than standard app forms as they all look the same.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 28-11-2007, 13:25   #6
God Member

Though it's a pain sounds like your best bet is to fill in the form and send your CV as well.
Old 28-11-2007, 13:31   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I guess do you want to be seen as an awkward sod before you even start?
Erm yes why lie Sounds like u got me sussed

Back to reading 'how to conform' or aka just do as im told & say nowt - its a very short book hehehe.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 28-11-2007, 13:34   #8
God Member

Ah well so its a no, I shall fill in the darn blasted form as i have time to waste

Thanks people, for the advice

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 28-11-2007, 13:35   #9

Double check the notes on the application form - some LCC forms state NOT to attach a CV as it will not be considered and will be removed from your application. So if you haven't filled in the details on the form you probably won't meet the minimum criteria for interview.
Old 28-11-2007, 13:39   #10
God Member

Cheers Nikkival, yep it does tho had a recheck online to find that out, typical of LCC to be really awkward & picky - cant see a difference between cv & form but im doing as im told even tho i hate filling them in hehehehe.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 28-11-2007, 13:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Cheers Nikkival, yep it does tho had a recheck online to find that out, typical of LCC to be really awkward & picky - cant see a difference between cv & form but im doing as im told even tho i hate filling them in hehehehe.
I know - personally I prefer a CV as it gives you an idea of desktop publishing skills, it's easier to pick out key skills and there is a lot less rambling to get through!
Old 28-11-2007, 13:48   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkival View Post
I know - personally I prefer a CV as it gives you an idea of desktop publishing skills, it's easier to pick out key skills and there is a lot less rambling to get through!
LOL, especially when ICT skills are necessary for the job lol, most places do prefer it but seems lcc arn't, im a straight to the point person & hate warballing about the same thing with the repetative questions plus not enough space for the important stuff & my professional cv is going to waste here lol......ah well any tips for writers cramp??

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 28-11-2007, 13:59   #13

Is the form available on-line in PDF? - If so you type the details in or could copy & paste bits from your CV over to the form, then just print it off.
Old 28-11-2007, 15:16   #14
God Member

It's so that everything is laid out exactly the same for each person and they can compare each person and treat them equally. CVs are laid out differently and there are no direct comparisons.

Fill out the form, add as much information as you possibly can, work through the job specification points one-by-one and list how and why you're suitable for the job. Nowadays getting a good job is ultra competitive and you have to really respond to their needs and forms. Throw your CV away and stick to their form and their job and person specs totally. Always write more than you need to as well.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 19:15   #15

As somebody who works in HR for LCC, I can confirm that Gayle is spot on, its much more convienient to compare like with like than having to trawl through a CV trying to find evidence.

LCC is about to launch a new recruitment service whereby once you've registered you will be able to submit an online application and if wish to apply for a further post you can resubmit your application and add to your application. I understand it launches next Monday but i don't think initially it will apply to posts in schools

Good luck with your application what type of post are you applying for?
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..