Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2009, 11:21   #1
God Member

MasterCare Coverplan?

Hi, does anyone have a MasterCare insurance plan for anything electrical bought from Currys or Dixons?
My washing machine is covered by this plan & have never had any bother with it but I have now been trying for 4 days to get through on the phone to them with absolutely no joy.
The automated service goes through all the options, which product, area you live etc, but then cuts off completely.
Anyone got any ideas on how I can find out if they've gone bust???
I've tried ringing various Curry's stores but it's the same damned automated service no matter which number you ring - Help!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-11-2009, 13:17   #2
God Member

Re: MasterCare Coverplan?

Can you not get over to Whitebirk to the shop? I know you shouldn't have to do that but could be a way of getting things sorted
Old 18-11-2009, 18:57   #3
God Member

Was thinking I may have to make the trek Bernadette, not easy with no transport, but I finally got through today and an engineer is coming on Friday. OK, it's an all-day call out meaning I'll be stuck in but not bothered, just hope he can fix it and doesn't need to order any parts.
Old 18-11-2009, 19:06   #4
God Member

Oh good at least you will get sorted, bit of a pain waiting in but has to be done
Old 18-11-2009, 21:10   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
OK, it's an all-day call out meaning I'll be stuck in but not bothered, just hope he can fix it and doesn't need to order any parts.
Well you should be bothered. I bet they did not tell you what poor service you were paying for when they took the money from you for the coverplan.

How old is the washing machine?
Old 18-11-2009, 21:16   #6
God Member

I never take these insurances out with anything I buy, tell them its covered on my house insurance, then get told it doesn't cover breakdowns, a reply "does if i drop it down the steps when moving it" usually stops them from pestering any further

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 07:24   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Well you should be bothered. I bet they did not tell you what poor service you were paying for when they took the money from you for the coverplan.

How old is the washing machine?
To be fair (which I wasn't feeling when I wrote the first post ) I've had this cover for a few years now, and it has been worth the money as they've repaired it a few times with no question.
The washer is nearly ten years old now, and it's the first time I've had this sort of problem with them.
Old 19-11-2009, 08:30   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
To be fair (which I wasn't feeling when I wrote the first post ) I've had this cover for a few years now, and it has been worth the money as they've repaired it a few times with no question.
The washer is nearly ten years old now, and it's the first time I've had this sort of problem with them.
Out of interest what do they charge you each year to cover a washing machine? I get these reminders my appliance warranty is up and an offer of a coverplan and just bin them.
Old 19-11-2009, 11:11   #9
God Member

It's about £67 for the year which I pay in 3 installments - not bad really for peace of mind that it's covered whenever it goes wrong, either for a repair or if it's too far gone, they'd replace it with a new one.
Old 19-11-2009, 11:42   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Work out what you have paid over 10 year though and add on the cost of the machine.

You can buy machine machines with a 10year parts and labour warranty from the manufacturer. You get a better machine as well.
Old 19-11-2009, 15:04   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

never had one of those never will, just regard em as a con to screw ya,bought a telly fer 600 plus in 97, which i though was pricey at the time, from dixons i think it was on squires gate rd blackpool,when i lived just around the corner, was faulty within days of installation, rang em they took it after 3/4 days saying ya will have it back tomorrow or day after, 5 weeks later after many phone calls n popping in, cos they had a repair place in that building, i got it back, had no relacement tv in that time, boy was i glad i never bought Mastercare.
Old 19-11-2009, 15:53   #12
God Member

Quote:
Work out what you have paid over 10 year though and add on the cost of the machine.

You can buy machine machines with a 10year parts and labour warranty from the manufacturer. You get a better machine as well.
Fair comment, but it's a matter of what was affordable to me at the time I bought the machine and now that it's so old I know I can get it repaired without any more expense (at least I can when I can get through on the phone )
Old 20-11-2009, 10:40   #13

Extended warranties are only really needed if you don't want the hassle of exercising your statutory rights, or want to extend your scope for claims beyond what you get as a consumer automatically.

A machine which comes with its own ten-year warranty goes beyond your statutory rights anyway, and may also cover other eventualities too (wear and tear, accidental damage)

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 11:23   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Extended warranties are only really needed if you don't want the hassle of exercising your statutory rights,
What would you class as a reasonable life span for a washing machine under the sale of goods act, 5 years?
Old 20-11-2009, 16:19   #15

Quote:
What would you class as a reasonable life span for a washing machine under the sale of goods act, 5 years?
Therein lies the problem - it all comes down to personal opinion and how good the consumer is when it comes to convincing the district judge of what's "reasonable".

My own opinion is that a washing machine, indeed all white goods, should last into double figures. There was a thing on the radio some time ago about a fridge which was over 75 years old.

However, like everything, the unit cost is the bottom line now, and items are being mass produced without consideration for ease of servicing later in the product's life.

The Sale Of Goods act (as amended) means that you have, in effect, a six year limitation on the amount of time you can sure for badly manufactured or badly designed goods. If an item fails within six months of purchase, the retailer (note, not the manufacturer) is obliged to prove it's through misuse or negligence rather than a design or manufacturing fault. After that, the consumer takes on the responsibility of proving it.

The six year limit is just the time in which you can sue - it doesn't mean the item is expected to last that long, it just means that for something that is valuable enough and should reasonably be expected to last that long, you are able to take action.

When our new washing machine died after just 14 months, we should really have pursued it, but in the end, we couldn't be bothered. It's that sort of wussy modern attitude that manufacturers are relying on.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..