Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 20:33   #1
God Member

Mitral Valve Replacement

My dad had one 16 years ago, they are only apparently supposed to last for 12 years then it may need to be done again

my dad has had a terrible cough for the last few weeks which he cant get rid of, and he thinks this has something to do with his heart and that the valve is failing, he is on warfarin to thin his blood and is going to see the doctor tomorrow because he thinks his time is up and may need another valve replacement, he nearly died the last time he had it done because his veins collapsed

i've been dreading this for years, he's the only parent i have left, mum passed away when i was 15 and i couldnt stand being without him

has anyone else had this procedure done more than once?
Old 06-01-2008, 20:38   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Mitral Valve Replacement

I have no experience of the procedure Shaz but hope all goes well for your Dad. Perhaps things have moved on a lot since he had the original op.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 20:41   #3
God Member

thanks for that willow, he's had a dodgy heart since he was little, he's 62 now and has had a great life so far, he's been a bit of a ****** in his time (now you know where i get it from) but has always pulled though, fingers crossed hey
Old 06-01-2008, 20:42   #4
God Member

Sorry to hear that your dad's not well. Hope all goes ok for him.
Old 06-01-2008, 20:44   #5
God Member

he's still active, still doing his usual mooching about, he just seems to be getting tired a lot
Old 06-01-2008, 20:45   #6

hiya hun, i hope ure Dad is ok? and docs can sort everything out, let me know how he gets on, xx
p.s when you comming up for that brew and a good all catch up lol xx
howarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 20:47   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howarth View Post
hiya hun, i hope ure Dad is ok? and docs can sort everything out, let me know how he gets on, xx
p.s when you comming up for that brew and a good all catch up lol xx

Em i'm fostering a dog for a few weeks from tomorrow, as soon as our kerry has been i'll give you a ring
Old 06-01-2008, 20:56   #8
Beacon of light

A persistent cough can be one of the symptoms of a worsening heart condition....he really needs to see his doctor and get checked over...and maybe an echocardiogram done too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 21:06   #9

hey no probs hun, im a cheeky c*w, theres nout stopping me from doing that great big 2hour treck to yours is there lol will bell you one day ths week xx oh i do hope your dad gets him self sorted, and all is well soon xxxx
howarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 21:51   #10
God Member

Hope your dad gets sorted soon flashy.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 18:07   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
A persistent cough can be one of the symptoms of a worsening heart condition....he really needs to see his doctor and get checked over...and maybe an echocardiogram done too.

Margaret, dad went to the doctors this morning and had to DEMAND an ECG (he used to be a nurse) the locum doctor didnt seem interested at all, he then took the results to her and she said 'i'll have a look at them later' so now he has to wait for the results....thats Larkhill Health Center(sp) for ya
Old 07-01-2008, 18:26   #12
Senior Member+

A lot depends on the valve he has Flashy, carbon valves are designed to last for the patient's lifespan, tissue valves aren't as robust. Signs of the valve failing are tiredness and shortness of breath. No reason why he couldn't have another fitted if he is up to the anaesthetic though.
Old 07-01-2008, 18:45   #13
God Member

I had mitral and aortic valves replaced with mechanical ones just over 2 years ago.. at the time I was told these would be good for 25 years+..if your dads replacement was with a tissue valve they are supposed to last around 15 years or so.
In my case the mitral valve is leaking severely and I am due an operation to repair this in Feb.
Believe me I can understand your dads fears because it is not a very nice operation to undergo to say the least (as I'm sure you know)..I can say that I have been in wards with men in their 80's who have had this operation and have recovered very well..the technics have improved immensly over the last ten years ..I wish him well!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 22:36   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hey shaz hope yer dad gets sorted also you mancie as well, good luck to both of ya.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:08   #15
Resident Waffler

Good luck to you too Mancie for the op in Feb.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

« Where?? | viaduct »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..