Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2012, 22:12   #1

Morris Dancing

Are there any local Morris dancing groups that are looking for new members. Help is much appreciated
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-12-2012, 22:21   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Morris Dancing

May be worth sending Kipax a P.M. he may well know.
Old 17-12-2012, 15:39   #3

Just googled this and came up with the 'Britannia Coconut Dancers' based in Bacup.

Then there's dancers at Preston, Bolton, Manchester & Bradford.
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 16:26   #4
Senior Member+

There is an organisation which produces a magazine which lists all morris 'teams' and bands. I will have a looksee. There's a team at Nelson or Colne.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 17:06   #5

Thanks to you all
Old 17-12-2012, 18:16   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeylass View Post
Just googled this and came up with the 'Britannia Coconut Dancers' based in Bacup.

Then there's dancers at Preston, Bolton, Manchester & Bradford.
Bacup Coco nutters are the only bunch I've heard of in the last 30 years, used to see them regularly when I worked in Bacup back in the seventies
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 20:27   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Bacup Coco nutters are the only bunch I've heard of in the last 30 years, used to see them regularly when I worked in Bacup back in the seventies
They are a breed of their own aren't they? I don't think they are Morris Dancers, but I stand to be corrected.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 20:42   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post

There's a song which goes " Bacup's got a lovely bunch of coconutters"

Yes, they are morris dancers. They blacken their faces to appear as Moors, from whence comes the word 'morris' They dance in the 'processional morris' style. They are not 'clog dancers', just a team who dance in clogs. Clog dancers dance as do tap dancers .
Old 17-12-2012, 21:03   #9
God Member

Bacup Coco Nutters? You'll have to be quick if you want to joint that lot - the PC brigade are tyrying to shut 'em down big time. Google it and find out. And once thay go, the rest of the Morris Dancing tradition will quickly follow - it started off in the 12thC as English Crusader lads taking the pee out of their opponents, the Moors..Moorish..Morris. Anyway, it's still considered an insult to Islam...so get in there quick. I reckon you've got five years at the most.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 09:40   #10
Senior Member+

Their true name is the Britannia Coconutters, It has nowt to do with Old England, but with the fact that they started up in an areas of Bacup called Britannia. Of course, their dancing and dress style has become part of Old England - and long may it be so. I haven't yet loked at their website, but I suspect that there'll be plenty of local lads who want to become a Nutter.
Old 18-12-2012, 09:44   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
They are a breed of their own aren't they? I don't think they are Morris Dancers, but I stand to be corrected.
Oh ya they are Morris Dancers Max, they just add coconuts strapped to the inside of their knees in fact they are very very cleaver in what they do
Old 18-12-2012, 13:59   #12
Senior Member+

Claytoner - Google 'Lancashire folk' and a list comes up. If you need further info , try Roy Smith on 01772 716772
Old 18-12-2012, 15:36   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
There's a song which goes " Bacup's got a lovely bunch of coconutters"

Yes, they are morris dancers. They blacken their faces to appear as Moors, from whence comes the word 'morris' They dance in the 'processional morris' style. They are not 'clog dancers', just a team who dance in clogs. Clog dancers dance as do tap dancers .
Reminds me of the Irish Tap Dancer..........He fell in the sink. P.S. thats a bit of a wander. pmsl.
Old 18-12-2012, 17:21   #14

Thanks for everyone's help
Old 18-12-2012, 17:54   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Reminds me of the Irish Tap Dancer..........He fell in the sink. P.S. thats a bit of a wander. pmsl.
There you go trying to upset one of our part time members again cashy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..