Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2009, 06:02   #1
God Member

Natural Spring (Water)- any nearby?

Does anyone know the location of natural springs within easy travelling distance of Ossy?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2009, 06:20   #2
God Member

Re: Natural Spring (Water)- any nearby?

going back a few years but is there not a spring on Pendle Hill about halfway between the Wellsprings pub and the cattle grid on the other side from Sabden (on the downhill side ) not sure if it 'ran' all year or was seasonal

Last edited by steeljack; 25-11-2009 at 06:23.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 06:29   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
going back a few years but is there not a spring on Pendle Hill about halfway between the Wellsprings pub and the cattle grid on the other side from Sabden (on the downhill side ) not sure if it 'ran' all year or was seasonal
Thanks for that Jack - hoping there is one nearer, but that sounds accessible by car so might fit the bill

Old 25-11-2009, 06:48   #4
God Member

Thinking about it , it may be nearer to the cattle grid on the right hand side than the pub , but obviously just by the name (Wellsprings) there are springs up there
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 07:12   #5
God Member

I have been researching natural water.
This chap has a lot of youtube clips and seems to know his water

I've got the wellies and the water carrier ready

Old 25-11-2009, 08:40   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It would appear there are several natural springs in the park. If you want to drink it is up to you though.
Old 25-11-2009, 08:42   #7
Senior Member+

I remember a spring near the top of the Coppice, on the Arden Hall side, at the side of one of the paths. It flowed even during summer and was so refreshing. Sorry that I cant't give more details but it is around 60 nyears ago that I last drank from there.
Old 25-11-2009, 08:44   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
This chap has a lot of youtube clips and seems to know his water
Deciding to drink water based on PH and TDS does not make him smart. He says himself it could contain poisons that he can not detect - that makes him stupid in my book.
Old 25-11-2009, 08:54   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Deciding to drink water based on PH and TDS does not make him smart. He says himself it could contain poisons that he can not detect - that makes him stupid in my book.
maybe he shoudl stick to the spring at tescos in the fridge , the water even comes in a bottle ready to drink

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 09:49   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
maybe he shoudl stick to the spring at tescos in the fridge , the water even comes in a bottle ready to drink
Quote:
Peckham Spring Water - Mother Nature's Son (1992)
Del's Spiel: 'Peckham Spring water, from a natural and ancient source.'

The Real Deal: 'Well its from the Thames, you can't get more ancient and natural than that!'
Seems a bit irresponsible using all our limited fuel resources to go pick up what comes through the tap, what about 'Global Warming', Saving the World for our children's children?

Or is this a case of sod them Jack I'm going to be alright?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 10:36   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
When I find a spring I will get it tested unless it is already regularly being consumed by others who look healthy
I have a supply of water purification drops which are safely used by 'rugged outdoor types' whilst on their treks.
Where are the springs in Rhyddings Park?

Old 25-11-2009, 11:24   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Where are the springs in Rhyddings Park?
If you go for a walk today you won't be able to miss the wet bits.

I would not recommend you drink any of the water though
Old 25-11-2009, 11:34   #13

I would'nt trust the one up Pendle, for a start it smells like a rotten kipper, as of last week anyhoo while my dog was digging in it !!! And a few months back he was diggin in it again and within a few days he had a huge "puss" filled scab on the back of his neck !!! the dog doc said he had been bitten by something and I can only assume it cam from there...

On a positive though I always go up the Trough of Bowland these days just passed Dunsop Bridge, now i'm not sure why but i bottled some water from up there and 2 years on its still crystal clear and now they have "Bowland" water in shops !!! if only I would of been a bit quicker I could of been filthy rich !!! but hey ho, I would say this is much better for drinking than the skank we find round here....

Cheers
Bob97531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 12:16   #14
Resting in Peace

Bowland Spring Water

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 12:36   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
When I tried the 'more info' link on that page, it didn't work.
I have found this info from Loughborough UNI
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/well/resource...ng-springs.pdf
If you look at Fig2, you can see that some springs rise into ponds.
When we were discussing local brooks recently, I could see that both Tinker brook and Antley brook arise from such ponds.
This is handy to know in case a widespread power failure causes a breakdown of municipal water supply.
I was hoping that someone knew of a roadside spring which is regularly used by locals, or one that is less than 10 minutes walk from a road, and does not require the trespass on private land to get to it.
I will not buy it ready bottled, because the plastic bottles ruin the value of it, and there is always the risk that it is actually tap water.
At the moment, I am attempting to improve the quality of the water I drink by -
Carbon filtration to remove chlorine
Restoring mineral content by adding a soluable mineral tablet
Passing it through a small device to spin a vortex to restore mollecular structure, and storing it in the fridge to retain the qualities I have added to it.
This provides a better water than the recycled pee that comes from some taps, but it is inferior to what is available from a natural source.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..