Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2006, 09:46   #31

Re: Need Some Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I'm up for giving pillion rides to anyone who wants a go on the back of a bike. I'm a very safe rider partcularly with new passengers.

Go On, if you've always wanted a go but never had teh opportunity nows your chance
I'm too scared, I think (I know - I'm a wimp ) but what kind of bike you got? Stupid question, but is it fast?!

Sarah -> OMG! I think I would have chosen the wall too. I'm surprised you even want to get in a car again!! I see loads of people driving that kind of car (school run included) that obviously shouldn't. They are way too big to get out of the way if the driver (of the land rover) isn't experienced. Having said that, I did once witness a very short chinese man reverse park a HUGE 4 x 4 into a space just about big enough for a fiesta (or so I thought) AND he got back out again - very impressive
Glad you're OK after that, and your car sounds like it will make a full recovery too - hope you sued him?
AccyRach is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-03-2006, 10:33   #32
God Member

Choice of 3 at the moment.

Honda Varadero, Big comfy trial bike, 1000cc V twin, top speed alledgely 145 ish 0-100 is very quick though

Classic Moto Guzzi, 950cc but a lot slower than the Honda, A nice 'potterer'. not as comfy but still not bad

honda CB250 'Rat' bike, ugly, slow, noisy, the anti social member of the garage.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 10:35   #33
God Member

Sorry, forgot to say, I can't ride sports bikes anymore as I was knocked off 3 years ago and broke my back. I miss them a bit but don't miss the agony that I would be in after 30 mins.

Old 21-03-2006, 10:51   #34

!! must have been one of those 'good' breaks I hear about!? Does something like that give you the "live life to the fullest" attitude? I suppose if you go in for that kind of sport, the risks are there for everyone to see - good obviously outweighs the bad though. I don't know, I seem to be getting more and more wimpy in my old (!) age.
Just checked your profile and we live quite close, maybe I'll catch you riding one day (- ooops! I'm not allowed in the over 18's bit yet ) If you look safe I might take you up on the offer.
You're not an axe-weilding maniac, are you........?
Old 21-03-2006, 11:30   #35
God Member

Err. come to the meet and find out

Live life to the fullest? yes I guess I do, but I did before the accident as well. I've bungee'd twice, parachuted, white water rafted, did rallying and other motorsport. Most people forget this is not a rehersal for another life, what you see is what you get.

Old 22-03-2006, 17:24   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyRach
I'm too scared, I think (I know - I'm a wimp ) but what kind of bike you got? Stupid question, but is it fast?!

Sarah -> OMG! I think I would have chosen the wall too. I'm surprised you even want to get in a car again!! I see loads of people driving that kind of car (school run included) that obviously shouldn't. They are way too big to get out of the way if the driver (of the land rover) isn't experienced. Having said that, I did once witness a very short chinese man reverse park a HUGE 4 x 4 into a space just about big enough for a fiesta (or so I thought) AND he got back out again - very impressive
Glad you're OK after that, and your car sounds like it will make a full recovery too - hope you sued him?
He never stopped, so I've got to sort it all out. Could have been worse.
Old 22-03-2006, 21:14   #37

Unbelievable. Cant imagine forcing someone into a wall and then just carrying on with my day as if nothings happened?!?
Lucky for him that you are OK - jailable offence, leaving the scene of an accident. Git.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:41   #38

Well, it's been 2 weeks and four days since my 'offence' and - even allowing for the postal service - it's too late to send a NIP now. :engsmil:
Thanks for all your support, it's much appreciated! And apologies to anyone who gets stuck behind me in traffic now - I haven't even been speeding up to let people out behind me (I know what I mean!!) Although I'm sure the cat that I missed last night appreciated the short burst of speed I put on so that it ran behind my car and not straight under the wheels - sometimes speeding is justified, eh?
Old 02-04-2006, 11:31   #39

Glad to hear everything is okay Rach.

Since my 'scare' with the speed camera, I have been driving everywhere about 5mph less than the speed limit just to make sure, or in fact last weekend I just handed my keys over, and got someone else to drive.
Old 02-04-2006, 16:41   #40
God Member

Glad your clear Rach!

It does slow you down a bit though doesn't it

Old 02-04-2006, 20:43   #41
Beacon of light

It is over 40 years since I last rode pillion....1963 to be exact.....my boyfriend(now hubby) had a BSA 500 Gold Star. It was his pride and joy. I liked riding pillion, but I often wonder if I would have had the same arthritic problems with my hips and knees if I had not got petrified with cold on the back of the bike so many times. It WAS fun though!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 21:46   #42
Resting in Peace

Well, that's a relief.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 22:36   #43

Interesting that most of the GATSO cameras in Lancashire are not in operation due to the high running costs, will be totally different when the next generation digital ones replace them. The Drivers Survival handbook, the one the boys in blue wanted banning coz it was written by a former Yorks traffic cop, offers the information that if you have genuinely never been in trouble before, write to the traffic inspector stating your record & that had you been given the opportunity, you would have accepted a caution. This applies when being pulled & booked for a motoring offence too. As for the mobile guys, with their dinky orange lights- they are breaking the regs as the sign warning of camera operating has to be aprox 100 metres from the vehicle & how many have I seen with the sign hiding the operator-aprox 100%. Should be good for court but don't think it has been challenged yet. If so I am sure someone will let me know.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:15   #44

Thanks big al, will remember that for the future. The sign was in the back of the police car - as are all the signs I've seen before with the mobile units. I wasn't aware that they had to be further away, but I am now
Old 11-04-2006, 15:08   #45
Senior Member+

Actually if it was a technical problem and you got it fixed show them your bill for repairs and explain what happenned you could get away wi it then

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..