Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2008, 14:05   #1
I am Banned

New york calling

I am going to New York in April next year woo hooooo

Has anybody been ? Any advice for good eateries/shopping.
we wil be staying in Manhattan on fifth street.
Any advice?

thanks Lisa
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-08-2008, 14:45   #2

Re: New york calling

You'll never want to go anywhere else again - brilliant place - was there this time last year

Plan what you really want to see - the time goes really fast so planning ahead is useful
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 14:47   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
I am going to New York in April next year woo hooooo

Has anybody been ? Any advice for good eateries/shopping.
we wil be staying in Manhattan on fifth street.
Any advice?

thanks Lisa

That would be sooo cool!

How long ya going for?

Never been but am sure ya'll have a great time!
Old 26-08-2008, 15:10   #4
God Member

I must be one of the few people who weren't impressed with New York, mind you it was only a day trip. Round the harbour in a boat, trip round the aircraft carrier and up the Empire States building was all I had time for

Mind you I'm glad I wasn't there 12 months later, I went on 11th Sept 2000
Old 26-08-2008, 15:15   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

right we went fer 5 days 2002, take yer passport if ya wanna go up empire state building, we went last day n never knew so were dissapointed, its a fabulous city summat fer everybody.
Old 26-08-2008, 16:11   #6
Resting in Peace

Bring us a stick of rock back Keetah
Old 26-08-2008, 17:41   #7
I am Banned

Well its a trip for the course I am doing in graphic design - we are going to look at design inspiration - but will also be doing all the normal "touristy" things. O h and it's fifth avenue not fifth street ( cant you tell I have never left Accrington - joke )

jaysay - i shall try for a stick of rock - but it might be regarded as a lethal weapon at the airport
Old 26-08-2008, 19:35   #8
God Member

The Red open top buses are a must, they take you all over and you can hop on and off as much as you want........if you have a full itinery i`d probably give the Statue Of Liberty a miss, a lot of queing up a spiral staircase for a quick peep out of a porthole..............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 20:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
The Red open top buses are a must, they take you all over and you can hop on and off as much as you want........if you have a full itinery i`d probably give the Statue Of Liberty a miss, a lot of queing up a spiral staircase for a quick peep out of a porthole..............
They don't let you on the island anymore - terror threat.

Yes to the tour buses - god send. 5th Avenue is the expensive area Get yourself over to Times Square - lots of good stuff around there
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 20:17   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

can't remember what number street we stayed in manhatten, may have been 5th? it was on the corner of "Broadway" there was a great irish bar/eatery right across the street, if ya walked down Broadway a few blocks it brought ya right into times square, using that route the Empire State was off Times to the right, all within easy walking distance.
Old 26-08-2008, 20:24   #11
God Member

The Big Apple ... great city .... stay in the tourist areas tho' .... but in New York, there is something for everyone ... for me it's Yankee Stadium when Jeter is on a hot streak; nothing like rounders with a ninety mph fastball. If you don't stay in the city all the time, upstate New York is gorgeous .... and for those interested in fast, heavy iron, visit Orange County Choppers.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 21:15   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
stay in the tourist areas tho'
Come, come, Eric, you've been reading too many guidebooks. Harlem's the place to go...get the subway up to 125th Street, have some soul food, then into the Lenox Lounge for a few beers and some good music. Far, far safer than downtown Manchester!
Old 26-08-2008, 21:34   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Come, come, Eric, you've been reading too many guidebooks. Harlem's the place to go...get the subway up to 125th Street, have some soul food, then into the Lenox Lounge for a few beers and some good music. Far, far safer than downtown Manchester!
From what I hear, downtown Baghdad is far safer than downtown Manchester I like guide books; they have pictures in them that you don't even have to color
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 21:57   #14
I am Banned

Well sounds great so far
I was expecting you all to be frightening me with horror stories lol.

Think I had better stock up on flash cards for my camera
we are staying at the Hotel Gershwin which is pretty funky in itself.
Old 26-08-2008, 22:01   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Keetah ya can't go wrong,you will have a ball.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..