Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2009, 19:01   #31

Re: One for our Councillors

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes, yes ... I've been used ... USED I tell ya' !! Still nowt new as far as fellas are concerned, and now Claytonender will hate me forever .....
How could I hate you Katex.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2009, 19:41   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
How could I hate you Katex.
Extremely gracious of you Claytonender.

Now, back to the subject matter. I do not see a bus route on Hyndburn Road as being a viable option at all. My reasons are as follows :-

Access : Buses would have to divert down Henry Street/Dill Hall Lane to gain access to Hyndburn Road ... busy routes at the best of times.

Bus Stops: From the lights to the Fire Station ... no suitable off-loading points due to distance between lights .. and would block exits on many occasions for this Emergency Service. Fire station to end of Hyndburn Road roundabout, now double yellow lines, and why ? Because halting traffic would again interfere with flow of traffic on this gateway road.

Resident's access: How many resident's do have access to Hyndburn Road now ? ... a small handful (at the bottom of the streets on a few blocks) .. whereas on Blackburn Road ... population on either side.

Bus to Station on Peel Street: Would have to travel along Union Street .. gawd what a journey that would be, or along onto the ring road. Would improve though when we get the new bus station on Crawshaw Street.

Less's access to Railway: Further to walk from drop-off point over-riding his walk to pick-up point.

Need I go on ?? No, forget it in my opinion.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 19:52   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Extremely gracious of you Claytonender.

Now, back to the subject matter. I do not see a bus route on Hyndburn Road as being a viable option at all. My reasons are as follows :-

Access : Buses would have to divert down Henry Street/Dill Hall Lane to gain access to Hyndburn Road ... busy routes at the best of times.

Bus Stops: From the lights to the Fire Station ... no suitable off-loading points due to distance between lights .. and would block exits on many occasions for this Emergency Service. Fire station to end of Hyndburn Road roundabout, now double yellow lines, and why ? Because halting traffic would again interfere with flow of traffic on this gateway road.

Resident's access: How many resident's do have access to Hyndburn Road now ? ... a small handful (at the bottom of the streets on a few blocks) .. whereas on Blackburn Road ... population on either side.

Bus to Station on Peel Street: Would have to travel along Union Street .. gawd what a journey that would be, or along onto the ring road. Would improve though when we get the new bus station on Crawshaw Street.

Less's access to Railway: Further to walk from drop-off point over-riding his walk to pick-up point.

Need I go on ?? No, forget it in my opinion.
My initial thought about buses along Hyndburn Rd,was why not. But having thought about it, and also looked at Hyndburn Rd, there are problems as you say
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 19:54   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

used to be buses used it, went riding barn street dunno if thats still the case, anyway talking about some not all. theres people live both sides down that way mainly elderly, but still sod them.
Old 24-09-2009, 20:02   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
used to be buses used it, went riding barn street dunno if thats still the case, anyway talking about some not all. theres people live both sides down that way mainly elderly, but still sod them.
Your'e right cashman there used to be quite a good service round that area, now it seems that the powers that be think everyone has a car. Even the services that do run anywhere near a lot of older people stop at about half five in the evening and many have no Sunday services at all
Old 24-09-2009, 20:20   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
I was trying to think what buses have used Hyndburn Rd in the past. I think the problem would be more the town centre side of Hyndburn Rd than the Church side.

Problems are there to be solved Cashy. And if there is a demand for buses to run along Hyndburn Rd, then the Bus companies should look at ways of meeting that demand.
Old 24-09-2009, 20:41   #37
God Member

Dill Hall bus used to run on Hyndburn Road
Old 24-09-2009, 20:54   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I remember that now Bernie that's right. You would think if it could be done then,it could be done now.
Old 24-09-2009, 21:14   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I remember that now Bernie that's right. You would think if it could be done then,it could be done now.
that was my thought, though like bernard could not remember which service used it ta bernie.
Old 24-09-2009, 21:16   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post

Problems are there to be solved Cashy. And if there is a demand for buses to run along Hyndburn Rd, then the Bus companies should look at ways of meeting that demand.
Get real Bernard ... what demand could there possibly be ? 'Cept people visiting Asda of course .. Still they will be all going to Tesco shortly, won't they ? (and we all know what bribing bullies they are).. which will increase the demand for a drop off point on Blackburn Road. Mind you, with the new bus station .... that'll solve it.

Haven't seen any movement on accepted planning for bus parking on Asda car park ... what happened to that then ??

We will be all slaves to the easiest bus routes to supermarkets soon.

Put yer hands up those who have a demand for a bus to run along Hyndburn Road as against Blackburn Road (Cashy 'n Less excluded) ...
Old 24-09-2009, 21:49   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Get real Bernard ... what demand could there possibly be ? 'Cept people visiting Asda of course .. Still they will be all going to Tesco shortly, won't they ? (and we all know what bribing bullies they are).. which will increase the demand for a drop off point on Blackburn Road. Mind you, with the new bus station .... that'll solve it.

Haven't seen any movement on accepted planning for bus parking on Asda car park ... what happened to that then ??

We will be all slaves to the easiest bus routes to supermarkets soon.

Put yer hands up those who have a demand for a bus to run along Hyndburn Road as against Blackburn Road (Cashy 'n Less excluded) ...
I don't know what the demand would be Kate. Could be as you say just Asda. It's not an issue that I can remember being raised too often over the years.

The new bus station and tesco will change things as you say. Whether it's for the good,we shall see.
Old 24-09-2009, 21:58   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

thats pathetic, never expected from you, do you actually know many people around buckingham grove? many elderly wouldn't know what a computer is like, at least a study or summat to acess viabilty, of course that don't matter much to mobile owd farts like me, differance being i care.
Old 24-09-2009, 22:11   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
thats pathetic, never expected from you, do you actually know many people around buckingham grove? many elderly wouldn't know what a computer is like, at least a study or summat to acess viabilty, of course that don't matter much to mobile owd farts like me, differance being i care.
Was not meant to be a serious hand count Cashy .. metaphoric licence so to speak.

Please do not throw out a red herring and accuse me of not caring about the elderly (crumbs 66 meself !) .. played an unfair card there.

Can say that about all areas of a heavy population of the elderly or young mothers pushing babies, etc.

This is a serious issue of growing transport problems for all of us against increased traffic on the roads and not much voluntary pedestrian footfall, ie. nobody wishes to walk anymore.
Old 24-09-2009, 22:16   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

most serious problem in my book these days is nobody gives a toss about elderly that struggle, metaphorically speaking of course.
Old 25-09-2009, 10:27   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes, yes ... I've been used ... USED I tell ya' !! Still nowt new as far as fellas are concerned, and now Claytonender will hate me forever .....
I'm cut to the quick kate, not all fellas (as you put it) are the same, there are those of us that still treat the fair sex as ladeeeeeees,
And Joan's not like that she'll forgive you I'm sure

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..