Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2010, 00:59   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Pennine Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
what a load of cack, if ya never been held up on blackburn rd is either porkies or ya dont use it regular at certain times. am sure no-one will be smiling smugly at ANY cuts, yer either boiled or losing it.
Blackburn Road would have been the key area for a massive change in this route and our best chance of solving this problem for good. Now, we are just reliant on the traffic wardens to sort out the bad parkers unless other restrictions are implemented and strictly monitored.

I said smugly due to some folks seemed pleased that the scheme has been dropped, including the bus station.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-05-2010, 01:16   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Blackburn Road would have been the key area for a massive change in this route and our best chance of solving this problem for good. Now, we are just reliant on the traffic wardens to sort out the bad parkers unless other restrictions are implemented and strictly monitored.

I said smugly due to some folks seemed pleased that the scheme has been dropped, including the bus station.
For the sake of the economic future of the many businesses along the route, I'll be thrilled if the scheme doesn't materialise.

On the stretch of Blackburn Road I'm referring to, there are already double yellow lines, as there would be along the entire Pennine Reach, but these are ignored, by the drivers who constantly park there to do there shopping, and by the wardens, who apparently see this as a no go area, and prefer to stay busily issuing tickets in the town centre.

It's not sour grapes, by the way, I've never had a parking ticket.

Just a frustrated observation from my twice weekly visit, driving that way into Accy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 01:26   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Now, we are just reliant on the traffic wardens to sort out the bad parkers unless other restrictions are implemented and strictly monitored.
That is what traffic wardens are for.
Old 25-05-2010, 01:30   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is what traffic wardens are for.
Perhaps they should be offered a 'sweetener', to target areas which have constant breaches of parking offences.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 06:02   #50
God Member

Quote:
You are only against it because you fear it will take trade away from your own business.
Seems a perfectly valid reason to me
Old 25-05-2010, 08:39   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Not valid at all...........to a bus lane Zealot.
Old 25-05-2010, 09:57   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Problem i can see with Double yellows on major bus routes is wi deliveries to local businesses, i encountered this stupidity when i lived n delivered in Blackpool, Traffic Wardens take no Prisoners.!
Thats why they have a yellow band round their hats cashy, so no one will park on them
Old 25-05-2010, 10:00   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps they should be offered a 'sweetener', to target areas which have constant breaches of parking offences.

Ya reght Garinda, and be labeled racists, come on, because we all know that's what would happen and why the stupid parking is already allowed to go on
Old 25-05-2010, 10:06   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya reght Garinda, and be labeled racists, come on, because we all know that's what would happen and why the stupid parking is already allowed to go on
yeh altered that just in time.
Old 25-05-2010, 10:53   #55
Beacon of light

Well, Kate...I don't feel smug about the decision to shelve this plan.
While I agree that Peel Street is not an ideal bus station....and I don't think it was ever 'planned'....it just sort of evolved.
I am pleased that the bus station isn't going to be where the train station is......that would be a fair old uphill hoik for many folk who use buses on a regular basis.......and would be another move away from the current town centre....which would be detrimental to trade.....well, other than perhaps Tesco's....... who don't need our money.

I do agree that Accrington needs some radical changes to make it glorious again...but in the current financial climate I think that this is unlikely to happen........the planners will continue to tinker around the edges....which never ever provides any real benefits.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 11:03   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Ya' always make me laugh Dave ... at least you are honest about it, which I think some people may not be ... no names mentioned of course.

Quote:
Too late ... saw it ...

To be honest, was never 100% in favour of the Pennine Reach although there were going to be some good benefits attached to it. Just very disappointed about the bus station basically and the new square..

Still, only says 'may' be axed .. nothing definite as yet.

Unfortunately, people in the transport section are being made redundant this very morning and other schemes are under scrutiny like the High Speed Rail and Crossrail under review.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 12:20   #57
God Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, people in the transport section are being made redundant this very morning and other schemes are under scrutiny like the High Speed Rail and Crossrail under review.

Thats a shame, High Speed rail link and move the train station to Peel St would have been a great idea
Old 25-05-2010, 12:27   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Ya' always make me laugh Dave ... at least you are honest about it, which I think some people may not be ... no names mentioned of course.

Too late ... saw it ...
good lass

redundant!!! that was a question they wouldn't answer when announcing the cuts.
Old 25-05-2010, 15:10   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Quick of the mark me cashy nearly got my Maurice mixed up with my Doris again
Old 25-05-2010, 15:12   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Too late ... saw it ...
Trouble is your a fast cat kate

Last edited by Neil; 25-05-2010 at 22:07. Reason: fixed quote
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..