Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2011, 08:24   #31
Common Sense Member

Re: Permanent gypsy sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker View Post
i take that is sarcasm Ken i am only saying what the public think if we move them off one part of hyndburn and get a court order that should be to remove them from hyndburn completely

if i have your response wrong them i apologise
Yes it was sarcasm, Nick. It amazes me that the same allegations of bias haven't been levelled at sorting out the Spring Street derelicts in Rishton which are about 20 yards from my front door.

Hyndburn has always made provision for travellers over and above what is required of us and neighbouring councils are trying to get us to provide even more. Faster action has been needed for some time but the main problem lies with the attitude of those who simply land on a site and proceed to leave it in a foul state. They do themselves no favours by acting this way but it has come to the point where serious bills are being incurred by the taxpayer due to wilful negligence and I agree that we should be coming down far more heavily on rogue travellers.

It is being discussed at present by members of the Cabinet.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2011, 08:35   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

it dont take long surely to decide the best action to deal wi rouge travellers?
Old 28-06-2011, 08:37   #33
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
it dont take long surely to decide the best action to deal wi rouge travellers?
Maybe not the decision Cashy but the actual enforcement has taken longer in the past than people are happy with and rightly so.

Old 28-06-2011, 08:49   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

perhaps why the enforcement takes a while would be a better discussion? n ways to remedy that?
Old 28-06-2011, 09:12   #35
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
perhaps why the enforcement takes a while would be a better discussion? n ways to remedy that?
That's part of what Cabinet are discussing. Cllr Clare Pritchard is also currently doing a lot of investigative work into making enforcement in several areas of the council much more swift and effective.

It's what people want so it's what we're trying to do.

Old 28-06-2011, 09:19   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker View Post
i aggree bernard but the court order to move them off surely should be to remove them from hyndburn or the court order process needs looking at as this can get expensive if we keep moving them around hyndburn surely the object of a court order is to remove them from Hybndburn
The problem is obtaining a court order that covers all of Hyndburn. They tend to site specific. The Council does already have certain powers as Graham pointed out. We need to make more use use of them in the future, where appropriate.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 10:04   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
That's part of what Cabinet are discussing. Cllr Clare Pritchard is also currently doing a lot of investigative work into making enforcement in several areas of the council much more swift and effective.

It's what people want so it's what we're trying to do.
I think the problem is that the courts are unable to issue an injunction which covers land owned by two different parties and as has been said they seem to like being specific when issuing of these injunctions
Old 28-06-2011, 13:08   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
The problem is obtaining a court order that covers all of Hyndburn. They tend to site specific. The Council does already have certain powers as Graham pointed out. We need to make more use use of them in the future, where appropriate.
I thought the powers mentioned were the powers of the police, maybe we need them to use them more often like the ones I mentioned about driving vehicles off road.
Old 28-06-2011, 13:50   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I thought the powers mentioned were the powers of the police, maybe we need them to use them more often like the ones I mentioned about driving vehicles off road.
Quite right Neil police powers. But the Council do have a role in encouraging the police to use those powers.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 16:07   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Quite right Neil police powers. But the Council do have a role in encouraging the police to use those powers.
Its a shame you have to persuade them to act on the law at times, well done and keep up the good work.
Old 29-06-2011, 10:03   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Yes it was sarcasm, Nick. It amazes me that the same allegations of bias haven't been levelled at sorting out the Spring Street derelicts in Rishton which are about 20 yards from my front door.

Hyndburn has always made provision for travellers over and above what is required of us and neighbouring councils are trying to get us to provide even more. Faster action has been needed for some time but the main problem lies with the attitude of those who simply land on a site and proceed to leave it in a foul state. They do themselves no favours by acting this way but it has come to the point where serious bills are being incurred by the taxpayer due to wilful negligence and I agree that we should be coming down far more heavily on rogue travellers.

It is being discussed at present by members of the Cabinet.
sorry ken just reading this again i have not levelled any critisism of anyone about moving travellers because they were in anyones back yard in fact in huncoat it could be said they were in my back yard please dont tar every one with the same brush if i have any commendt to make i will. My comment was to the report that they had gone within a day and they had not so please read the details before being paranoind
Whittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:17   #42

Isn't it about time we acted with a little more authority than we do with these people, If I left the type of mess in my front garden I would expect a large fine, so here is my plan.
Travellers arrive on site, police attend because somebody reports a crime, the crime is trespass
Police remove vehicle keys,check fuel in all vehicles, check mot, licences, insurance etc.
Check chassis numbers on caravans.
Travellers now not capable of raiding your back yard, crime figures down. Ability to generate waste is removed by removing their ability to collect the rubbish
No vehicle movements mean no income, travellers will move on very quickly
Travellers will soon be chatting to all of their friends and Hyndburn would soon become a traveller free zone. Come on councillors have some balls get it sorted, the people of Hyndburn are sick to death of these people and only you lot can sort it out
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..