Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2003, 14:45   #1
Junior Member+

Post Post Office closures

Ive just been reading the Citizen and saw an article about the possible closure of 6 of the 22 post offices that hyndburn has.  What do u think about losing any ? and do you think  the general public are listened to when making a stand against any closures ?

Personally I don't think theres a cat in hells chance of changing Royal Mails minds.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2003, 14:59   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Post Re: Post Office closures

The royal mail has been losing money for years, and have had all kinds of cutbacks in the past. How much money was wasted changing the name to Consignia?  Only for it to be changed back again. My mum is a postwoman and had all new uniforms etc.
I feel sorry for the elderly and disabled who would struggle sometimes to get to a main post office and prefer to use local. I know that pensions can now be paid straight into the bank account, but not everybody wants that, and not everyone can get to the bank, if they are frail and it is miles from where they live.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 15:23   #3
Resting in Peace

They are also trying to get income and disability payed stright into the bank i have had a few letters asking me to change instead of a book.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 17:47   #4

The sad thing is that no one really would like to see a loss of their own local post office or the service the Royal Mail postman brings.

But with this new fangled thing like the internet and e mail then an awful lot of transactions which were done by post in the past are now increasingly being done over the net.

I cannot remember the last time I went into my bank to do anything.

I suppose it is a price that we are going to have to pay for the convenience of doing things online in the future.

I do think though, that it should be providing more of a reason to find ways of keeping the personal service, rather than just cutting them out wholesale. After all, look what happened to the railways after Beeching in the early 60's.

Whilst we had a major rail network which should have been gearing itself up to take freight traffic from town to town, we built motorways instead - and look at the problems those have brought us.
Old 07-11-2003, 20:28   #5

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

The Post Office brought all this upon themselves with poor foresight. Refusal to take lottery and pay point machines, which would have been an absolute boon for the outlying offices was madness.

The Post Office is also a bank, why haven't they pushed this fact so that benefits etc.. that used to be paid over the counter could be paid through their banking facility.

Bill payers fall into 2 categories....Direct Debit and Cash payers.

Direct Debit via bank....post office dont even advertise their bank
Cash payers...Post office dont have paypoint machines

The only thing I use the post office for now is taxing my car, and I cant do that at my local I have to use the General.

Old 09-11-2003, 16:29   #6
Senior Member+

[quote author=Guinness link=board=qanda;num=1068223502;start=0#4 date=11/07/03 at 22:28:45]The Post Office brought all this upon themselves with poor foresight. Refusal to take lottery and pay point machines, which would have been an absolute boon for the outlying offices was madness.

The Post Office is also a bank, why haven't they pushed this fact so that benefits etc.. that used to be paid over the counter could be paid through their banking facility.

Bill payers fall into 2 categories....Direct Debit and Cash payers.

Direct Debit via bank....post office dont even advertise their bank
Cash payers...Post office dont have paypoint machines

Will agree with you totally there Guinness.Time to drag the post office in to this century but not at a risk of a personal service.I like somebody to talk to over the counter and not a machine????

[/quote]
Old 09-11-2003, 16:59   #7
Senior Member+

Well i hope the post office near me does not close down, i pay my gas, electric and water there. My gas and electric i pay using a payment card at a fixed sum weekly, get my benefit in one hand and pay a lot of it back to the postmaster, but as they say THATS LIFE.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..