Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2010, 19:42   #1
Junior Member+

Pubs

Hi all. Does anyone know if there used to a pub across the road from the petrol station on Abbey St (Next to the Swan). It would have been closed for many years.
jo jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-06-2010, 20:01   #2

Re: Pubs

Yes it was an Irish Pub if I remember right - Muldoons?
Old 19-06-2010, 20:41   #3
Junior Member+

I think that was the Hargreaves Arms and what is Grants now. I am led to believe that the pub was on the opposite side of the road a little further into accrington
Old 19-06-2010, 21:12   #4
Beacon of light

Yes that building was a pub....but many many years ago.
I have been scratching me head to try and remember what it was called, but alas the grey cells are letting me down.
Cashy might just remember.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 21:14   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Think it was the Red Lion yer on about jo-jo, twas across the road on the corner of abbey st n black abbey st, think in 60s Clarksons Tyres had the building, i may got the name wrong, memorys not what it was.
Old 19-06-2010, 22:16   #6
Resting in Peace

Just do a search and enter Red Lion Jo Jo, has been spoken about many times on here. This is one thread for you.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ews-50140.html
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 22:22   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just do a search and enter Red Lion Jo Jo, has been spoken about many times on here. This is one thread for you.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ews-50140.html
Cheers Kate, said me memorys crap, had forgotten that thread.
Old 19-06-2010, 22:40   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Cheers Kate, said me memorys crap, had forgotten that thread.
Cashy my dearest, if there is one thing your memory can rely on, it is the names of our pubs past and present...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 22:59   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Cashy my dearest, if there is one thing your memory can rely on, it is the names of our pubs past and present...
Even thats not what it was, but suppose it is me strongest point.
Old 20-06-2010, 08:32   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:

Kate, that is why I volunteered him to give Jo-Jo the answer....I felt pretty damn sure that he would have the answer.(though I reckon he was too young to have supped a pot of ale in there...unless they served tinlids)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 08:44   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Kate, that is why I volunteered him to give Jo-Jo the answer....I felt pretty damn sure that he would have the answer.(though I reckon he was too young to have supped a pot of ale in there...unless they served tinlids)
Correct never did sup in yon, n i was supping from n very early age, can never remember the pub open,would be interested on when it closed.
Old 20-06-2010, 08:56   #12
Junior Member+

Thanks everyone that was a great help. We are tracing our family history and we have been led to believe that our Gt Gt Grandma was the landlady there, but could not find either the name of the pub or if there was even a pub in that area . (Family legend has it that she was the 1st ladylady in Accrington but dont know if this is true).
Old 20-06-2010, 09:19   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

thats a great photo Atarah put on the old thread i'd forgotten about. No1. just noticed that thread was only 8 months ago, senility is setting in. lol
Old 20-06-2010, 12:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo jo View Post
Thanks everyone that was a great help. We are tracing our family history and we have been led to believe that our Gt Gt Grandma was the landlady there, but could not find either the name of the pub or if there was even a pub in that area . (Family legend has it that she was the 1st ladylady in Accrington but dont know if this is true).
There is a chapter on the Red Lion Hotel in the book "The Old Homesteads of Accrington & District" which gives a lot of detail and also an old photograph of the Hotel.

If you are chasing up if your ancestor was the landlady there and at what time then you could check the Licensing sessions in the old newspapers to see when she took over and when she left. There are a few on line but not many.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 13:56   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo jo View Post
If your Gt Gt Grandma was the first, then she would have had competion.
Abbey Inn. Mary Ashworth. 1894
Bird in Hand. Sarah Grimshaw. 1869
Black Bull. Elizabeth Ratcliffe.
Colliers Arms. Mary Haworth 1869
Commercial. Jane Harrison.
Crown Inn. Martha Bentley. 1860
Globe Inn. Ellen Stuttard. mid 1800's

Those are just a few of the female landlady's
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..