Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2008, 10:02   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Question should mothers of young kids be sent to jail?

seen this question on a web site.............
Around 18,000 children are parted from their mothers every year due to prison sentences. The Children's Commissioner for England says this damages the prospects of the new generation and costs the taxpayer who will have to cover the bill for damaged children.
Do we need an overhaul of how we treat female offenders?
When you consider one in three prisoners are single mothers, should mothers only be jailed if they pose a risk to society or should all offenders get the same treatment?

whats your thoughts on this?
Old 31-01-2008, 10:08   #2
Senior Member+

Re: should mothers of young kids be sent to jail?

The parent should be thinking of their kids before they do the crime, that in itself should put them off whatever crime they are thinking of commiting, you do the crime you do the time, the kids who's parent is in prison might see it as not a good idea to commit a crime as this would be where they might end up
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 10:10   #3
Senior Member+

Plus if it changed in the future, maybe mums would commit more crimes cos they know they are not gona be put inside.

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 11:36   #4
Senior Member+

if your prepared to do the crime be prepared to do the time......regardless of the circumstances !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 12:11   #5

If you are going to commit the crime then yes, you should do the time. Whilst it's not fair on the young innocent child involved through no fault of there own, ultimately it is the mothers actions who put them in that situation.
forceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 14:09   #6

For some kids their mother going to prison could be a blessing in disguise.
Having work,ed with children for over 20 years I am sure some would get a much better chance in life if they were removed from their natural families.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 15:41   #7
God Member

Course they should, just like fathers do.

Would be shocked if anyone said otherwise.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 15:44   #8
God Member

I agree. Yes they should.
Old 31-01-2008, 15:57   #9
God Member

Like someone has said, mothers that do crime should certainly be punished just like anyone else
The children would be better off anyway if the parents think so little of the well being of their child that they would risk being sent to jail
Any crime no matter how small poses a risk of someone going to jail
AccyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 20:13   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

If our courts turned around on a first offence and imprisoned people, then I would consider it to be a little bit harsh.
Most of the Mothers that end up in jail are there because no matter what was attempted on their behalf, they still end up as a bad 'un therefore if they persist, what else do they deserve?
The child deserves the best, all children do, so make sure we don't cause the child to suffer, it isn't the childs fault, but the mother ignored societies rules.

We should look after the child but just as there are bad fathers, there are bad mothers, (she may love her child, (as does a law breaking father)), it still means she also aught to be punished for her crimes, lets face it she knew the consequences!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 21:19   #11
God Member

though its been known for desperate mothers to shoplift food in supermarkets to feed their children adequately... I dont know what I feel about those kinds of situations...
Old 31-01-2008, 21:35   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

of course they should be banged up if the offence merits it,same as everyone else,doubt very much if a mum would be gaoled for nicking food from a supermarket,especially if a 1st offence,most people that nick food/booze etc from em never are, if the local rags are owt to go by.
Old 31-01-2008, 21:44   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
seen this question on a web site.............
Around 18,000 children are parted from their mothers every year due to prison sentences. The Children's Commissioner for England says this damages the prospects of the new generation and costs the taxpayer who will have to cover the bill for damaged children.
Do we need an overhaul of how we treat female offenders?
When you consider one in three prisoners are single mothers, should mothers only be jailed if they pose a risk to society or should all offenders get the same treatment?

whats your thoughts on this?
What are YOUR thoughts on this?
Old 31-01-2008, 21:59   #14

bring your kids up to do right if you do wrong be punished
Old 31-01-2008, 22:44   #15
Resting in Peace

I was put in care when I was 5.untill I was 12.I thought my dad had timeshares in exotic places called Walton & Strangeways.I think i was lucky and so will all children who are cared for by loving people.
The first few years of a childs life are the most important,they need love and affection not a crash course in violence and shoplifting
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..