Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2008, 15:49   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Should we let foreigners join the British Army?

At present you have to live in the UK for five years and become a British citizen before you can sign up.... Yet there has recently been a surge in the amount of Poles wanting to join and the Army wants a review of the rules.
With the armed forces struggling from major shortages, should we let foreigners fight for us?

if they want to live here then why not?
Didnt the polish help us fight germany in WWII?
Old 24-03-2008, 15:54   #2
God Member

Re: Should we let foreigners join the British Army?

Allow it? It should be condition of coming here imo!
Old 24-03-2008, 15:57   #3
Member.

The Poles did fight for us and paid a very high price for doing so...but we shouldn't jump the gun here......Don't change anything.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 17:12   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Which foreigners? I can trace my family back to Liverpool for a couple of generations, after that diddly squat!

Liverpool like all major cities in this land was a large melting pot, "shock horror", it was actually encouraged!

We as a nation should wake up, we are mainly, 'foreigners', O.K. the ratio of which foreigners, and from where changed over the last 30/40 years and there has been just a touch of isolationism, (from both sides).

If History is studied, we have always used others to help fight our battles, but before one drop of Polish blood is spilt for the future of this Country, there are many from both sides of the rift that should consider the armed forces, (which has always been another melting pot), as a career not because they should die for their Country, but because it would be a better and prouder way to be than the alternatives on offer at the moment.

People used to serve with pride, as they should, but these day's being told don't wear your uniform in public means that our society is very sick not the people willing to serve.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 18:33   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The Poles did fight for us and paid a very high price for doing so...but we shouldn't jump the gun here......Don't change anything.
Small point, but I don't think the Poles fought for us , I think they fought with us , same as the French Free Forces , both groups were trying to liberate their native homelands .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 18:57   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Small point, but I don't think the Poles fought for us , I think they fought with us , same as the French Free Forces , both groups were trying to liberate their native homelands .
For us or with us what's it matter.but as far as i can see we're still fighting the French.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 20:26   #7
God Member

They might as well.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 20:28   #8
God Member

You never know - we might want to invade Poland sometime in the future --
stranger things have happened

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 20:49   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the older members may remember this, but i worked with a good few polish blokes, who had settled after the war, also ukrainiens, some who actually switched uniforms when the allies started winning the war. so i would say NO.
Old 24-03-2008, 20:52   #10
God Member

I'd go for NO, if there not born and bred here don't let them in, you never know what might kick off in the near future

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 21:22   #11
God Member

we already have foreigners who are proud to serve in the british army ie gurkhas....they've had a history strength and loyalty in the british army for centuries
Old 25-03-2008, 10:37   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
we already have foreigners who are proud to serve in the british army ie gurkhas....they've had a history strength and loyalty in the british army for centuries
Yea totally agree cmon, but look how the government are treating the Gurkhas now, we open our boarders to every Tom Dick and Harry, but Gurkhas who have actually spilled their blood for this country are treated like lepers.
Old 25-03-2008, 12:29   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
the gurkhas were great warriors differance being they were part of the then "British Commonwealth" it may not make a differance to younger ones cos they are maybe not aware,but it sure makes a differance to me.
Old 26-03-2008, 00:55   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
We Polish soldiers

For our Freedom and for Yours

Have given our souls to God,

Our bodies to the soil of Italy

And our hearts to Poland.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 01:09   #15
God Member

Why would the polish want to join our army anyway????
maybe im bein a bit numb here because im unsure of the facts but wasnt they forced into fighting with us?
and the british army has already got other nationalities in there all be it british citezens..

Anyway imo if they want to come and live here be it polish or any other YES!!! they should fight with our boys.. If we are good enough to accomodate them as a country then our country should be worthy of them putting thier lives on the line... failing that BOGOFF back.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..