Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2011, 10:09   #1

Slate Quarry , Green Haworth

There was a slate quarry at Green Haworth before the golf course opened up, does anyone have any information about it.
white797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2011, 11:32   #2

Re: Slate Quarry , Green Haworth

Use to watch the scrambling races there on a Sunday back in the late sixties
Old 20-01-2011, 13:02   #3
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider61 View Post

I remember those day's. we use to go up evey weekend they where on. Health and Safety my bottom. those where the days and the mud did stick.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 13:03   #4
Member.

Have a gander at the old maps of the area, I'm sure that will give you someting to focus on.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 15:53   #5
Senior Member+

It would not be slate. Probably stone which was extracted in thin pieces to act as roof coverings.his type of roofing was superceded by thin slate when the railways came, making Welsh slate cheaper than local stone - and bettere at keeping rain out. The folk who live up there in the back of beyond will be a good source of information.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 18:03   #6
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider61 View Post
As far as I know that area of Green Haworth is still the same .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 21:53   #7

I'd forgotten the scrambling. Got taken up there a couple of times to see the races as a kid.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 22:16   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
It would not be slate. Probably stone which was extracted in thin pieces to act as roof coverings.his type of roofing was superceded by thin slate when the railways came, making Welsh slate cheaper than local stone - and bettere at keeping rain out. The folk who live up there in the back of beyond will be a good source of information.
There were a couple of quarries in that area, they are listed on old ordnance surveys as flags, or paving stones to those who prefer a proper name.
There was also another quarry nearer to the Higher Antley area which supplied the stone for the New Factory, which used to be on the site of what is refered to as the Pals Medical Center.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 08:56   #9
Resting in Peace

Can recall the one actually on Green Haworth Golf Course, think it was included on the forth hole? this was a par three which could become a nightmare if you didn't hit the green in one
Old 21-01-2011, 16:22   #10
Senior Member+

Ive just been looking at some notices served by the Corporation on the owners of land where new streets were built. These were sent to the Royds family, owners of streets in Woodnook. Dated 1887,they stipulated that the streets had to be sewered,levelled,paved, flagged, kerbed and chanelled within one month. The flags had to be not less than 3 inches thick - these would be from Green Haworth.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 17:26   #11
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall View Post
I'd forgotten the scrambling. Got taken up there a couple of times to see the races as a kid.
It was once televised on a Sunday afternoon .

You couldn't see a thing because a heavy mist had fallen .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 18:08   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
It was once televised on a Sunday afternoon .

You couldn't see a thing because a heavy mist had fallen .
One of the star riders of that time was called something like Lampton, he was always mentioned when scrambling was talked about
Old 21-01-2011, 18:30   #13
Senior Member+

Talking quarries, we used to go up to Hapton quarry and the moors when I was a boy. Although the quarry was closed there were hundreds, possibly thousands, of flags ready prepared. Are they still there? They must be worth an absolute fortune if they are, try buying reclaimed flags!
Does anyone know when that quarry closed?
I remember the scrambling at Green Haworth, I think it was one of the main clubs at the time.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 20:23   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Talking quarries, we used to go up to Hapton quarry and the moors when I was a boy. Although the quarry was closed there were hundreds, possibly thousands, of flags ready prepared. Are they still there? They must be worth an absolute fortune if they are, try buying reclaimed flags!
Does anyone know when that quarry closed?
I remember the scrambling at Green Haworth, I think it was one of the main clubs at the time.
We used to go swimming in the old quarry off Burnley Road - the water was a bright green as I remember it - don't know about the Green Howarth quarry but I remember Red Shale, I think it was on the way up to Spire Farm, past Arden Hall. Remember being told that it was a very poor coal seam that had ignited and gradually burnt away - anyone know anything about it?
Old 22-01-2011, 21:25   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
We used to go swimming in the old quarry off Burnley Road - the water was a bright green as I remember it - don't know about the Green Howarth quarry but I remember Red Shale, I think it was on the way up to Spire Farm, past Arden Hall. Remember being told that it was a very poor coal seam that had ignited and gradually burnt away - anyone know anything about it?
The Red Shale, was next to Slate Pits Farm off Plantation Lane, turn left at the top of Plantation Lane, then round behind the old Plantation Mill, and it was visible on your left.
All that disappeared when the Easterly Bypass was built.
The redness in shales is usually associated with iron oxides.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 22-01-2011 at 21:28.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..