Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2008, 09:27   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: So... It's Bank Holiday Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
Awwwwww Jaysay she def doesn't mean that!where did you meet?
Met her in a car park in Swinton, after a 3 hour phone call the night before
Old 26-08-2008, 20:47   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE View Post
Took the Grandchildren to Ozzy mills shopping over till tomorrow, while MUMMI & DADDIBOO go gallivanting.
I went gallivanting to Guy's Thatched Hamlet and stayed over night in the deluxe executive room! I enjoyed it sooo much we have been together for 12 years and that was the first time we have stayed in a hotel we will do it again next year hopefully (mum & dad i am just pre booking you now for next year is that enough warning?) lol
Old 26-08-2008, 21:02   #33
God Member

I took the children to the Dr Who exhibition in Blackpool yesterday.
Old 26-08-2008, 21:06   #34
Senior Member+

oooh, we love it there... did they enjoy it?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 21:08   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
oooh, we love it there... did they enjoy it?
I can take or leave Dr Who myself but the kids enjoyed it and so did my hubby.

Sylvester McCoy who played Dr Who in the 1980s was there and there were lots of serious fans all dressed up.
Old 27-08-2008, 02:21   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I can take or leave Dr Who myself but the kids enjoyed it and so did my hubby.

Sylvester McCoy who played Dr Who in the 1980s was there and there were lots of serious fans all dressed up.

Ohhh did ya get any pics?
I can imagine that was great!
Old 29-08-2008, 18:20   #37
God Member

Now it's our turn for a long weekend .... Labor day is on monday (it's not a fixed date, it comes on the first monday of september). This is the last long weekend of the summer, and school starts up again on tuesday. Most of the little corner stores (and, of course, Wal-Mart; hate that company) will be open; so the only thing one has to stock up on is booze. And if you miss the liquor and the beer stores, there is always the neighbourhood bootlegger
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 18:32   #38
God Member

Eric , what are the Alcohol laws in Canada ? have I got it correct that only beer and wine are available in 'regular' shops and anything stonger has to bought at Govt. run liquor out-lets ? does this apply to all Provinces and Terrs ?
thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 18:51   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Eric , what are the Alcohol laws in Canada ? have I got it correct that only beer and wine are available in 'regular' shops and anything stonger has to bought at Govt. run liquor out-lets ? does this apply to all Provinces and Terrs ?
thanks
Sales of booze are very restricted in many parts of Canada. Beer and wine are available in regular stores only in Quebec. Liquor is for sale only in govt. outlets in Que. Ontario has the strictest laws in the country regarding the sale of booze. Beer can be bought only thro' the Brewers' Retail aka the Beer Store. These outlets have limited hours: 10 am 'till 9 pm (noon till 5 pm on Sunday). Liquor Stores are opperated by the L.C.B.O. (the Liquor Control Board of Ontario, often know by its Spanish name, the El Cabo); and have the same hours as the Beer Stores. You cannot get beer off-sales from pubs in Ontario, altho' you can in all the other provinces In small communities all across Canada, one of the local stores is often licensed to sell booze. The most liberal booze laws are probably those of Alberta. The 10 provinces all have different rules and regs because control of liquor sales is a Provincial not a Federal matter. If you need booze outside prescribed hours, you have to find a bootlegger. Any cabbie will take you to the nearest one. Sometimes it can be a pain in the ass, but you learn to live with it ... and the local booze outlets will be doing a roaring trade this weekend as Canadians stock up for the break.
Old 29-08-2008, 19:02   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Sales of booze are very restricted in many parts of Canada. Beer and wine are available in regular stores only in Quebec. Liquor is for sale only in govt. outlets in Que. Ontario has the strictest laws in the country regarding the sale of booze. Beer can be bought only thro' the Brewers' Retail aka the Beer Store. These outlets have limited hours: 10 am 'till 9 pm (noon till 5 pm on Sunday). Liquor Stores are opperated by the L.C.B.O. (the Liquor Control Board of Ontario, often know by its Spanish name, the El Cabo); and have the same hours as the Beer Stores. You cannot get beer off-sales from pubs in Ontario, altho' you can in all the other provinces In small communities all across Canada, one of the local stores is often licensed to sell booze. The most liberal booze laws are probably those of Alberta. The 10 provinces all have different rules and regs because control of liquor sales is a Provincial not a Federal matter. If you need booze outside prescribed hours, you have to find a bootlegger. Any cabbie will take you to the nearest one. Sometimes it can be a pain in the ass, but you learn to live with it ... and the local booze outlets will be doing a roaring trade this weekend as Canadians stock up for the break.
And heres me thinking Canada is one of the most 'liberal' places in the world , seems to me you guys are just as puritanical as the good ole boys in Mississippi and Albamy is this paternalistic restriction tied into 'first nation' politics ?
So you have no way off shopping around for the best price and clipping the coupons for the $5 off weekly specials, and you pay the same price for an item anywhere in the province ?

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 19:12   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
And heres me thinking Canada is one of the most 'liberal' places in the world , seems to me you guys are just as puritanical as the good ole boys in Mississippi and Albamy is this paternalistic restriction tied into 'first nation' politics ?
So you have no way off shopping around for the best price and clipping the coupons for the $5 off weekly specials, and you pay the same price for an item anywhere in the province ?

Puritanical ... maybe about booze; but prostitution is legal
Old 29-08-2008, 19:40   #42
God Member

And on the positive side, the govt' makes a s**t load of money from the sale of booze, and these revenues go towards funding our health care system, our schools, and our infrastructure. For example, the City of Kingston recently received $12 million from the Province to help fix our streets and bridges; I don't know the exact break down, but this came from the money that govt. makes from gas taxes and the sale of booze.
Old 29-08-2008, 21:49   #43
God Member

Bank holiday in UK...Long gone and washed out....so I'm led to believe?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 09:38   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Bank holiday in UK...Long gone and washed out....so I'm led to believe?
And for the Labor Day weekend in Kingston the forcast is: Saturday, 26c and sunny, Sunday 26c and sunny, Monday 27c and sunny. And for all three days, about 5c cooler by the lake, which is where yours truly is going to be

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..