Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-09-2003, 12:48   #1
Senior Member+

Post SPECIAL BUS CALLING AT Q.P. HOSPITAL AND B.R.I.

Hi everyone, just wanted to share these details with you. I never knew, until last week, that a brilliant bus service operates to both Blackburn Hospitals. The one I have been catching leaves Bridge Street, Accrington (around the corner from Garth Dawsons) at 1.10 every afternoon, it gets you to QP for about 1.40. The visiting hours are actually 2pm so you have just nice time to have a coffee before visiting) and the bus leaves from the front of the hospital at 3 mins past 3. Its £1.50 single, or £2.40 return. Its brilliant, cos sometimes an hour's visiting is just enough. I dont know the times re BRI, but could find out. The driver is lovely and friendly too!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-09-2003, 17:19   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Post Re: SPECIAL BUS CALLING AT Q.P. HOSPITAL AND B.R.I

;D  The bus to QPH has been running for a few years I think. My dad is a bus driver, so I'll ask him re. BRI bus. The Accy to Darwen runs every few minutes and stops at BRI throughout the day. It doesn't stop at the entrance though, but on the main road, so it's a short uphill walk to the entrances. Parking at BRI is really bad, and many people have to use the Ivy street car park, which is a bit of a trek if you are elderly or disabled. :-*

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2003, 19:50   #3
Resting In Peace

Up to March 1993 I worked in Accrington as a bus driver and the service you are talking about is the 90 service which ran twice a day, at 1.20 in the afternoon and 6.20 in the evening and it returned at 3.05 and 8.05 from B.R.I arriving in Accrington at 3.40 and 8.40.  I had no idea it was still running.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2003, 08:54   #4
Caz
God Member

Think the service Atarah means could be the little red M & M bus.

Not sure if they run an evening service. Could get some details though.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2003, 13:50   #5
Accy Goddess

It's a nighmare getting the bus back to Accy from Q.P.H. I hate that place.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2003, 20:30   #6
Senior Member+

I am sorry, but it is NOT a nightmare getting back from QPH.  If you are outside the hospital for 3.00pm, the bus is always there on time (due 3.03), cos it becomes the school bus for Green Haworth and so has to meet the kids from school.

The bus is indeed the red one and is numbered 91 - it leaves as I said at 1.10 (0n the dot) - there are other times it runs during the day, but that is the one I was using.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2003, 22:03   #7
Accy Goddess

Thats all well  and good if your on your way back at that time. It takes forever and a day to get back in the evening.  
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2003, 22:27   #8
Caz
God Member

Would second that Anne. I think M & M do about 4 round trips a day. Which is fine for afternoon visiting, or if you have an apointment that fits in with one of these trips. Reasonably priced too.

Otherwise you have to take the normal buses.

I have had to take my son to a lot of appointments recently at QPH, none of which would be feasible using this service, as it would have meant a very long wait once we arrived, or the appointment was before the trips even started, or after they finished.

The alternative means a minimum of 2 buses each way, and you always have to wait in between buses.

Plus as you say evenings are a big problem.

BRI isn't too bad as you can get a Darwen bus straight through from Accrington or anywhere on Blackburn Rd.

You would think that at least there would be a more regular service between QPH and Blackburn centre, which I might add is a nightmare. Shall never call our bus terminus again!

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2003, 07:30   #9
Resting in Peace

Try getting one on sunday evening to QPH :-[
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2003, 09:13   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

QPH has always been a nightmare to get to on public transport. When BRI moves up there, they may have to start a regular direct service from Accy, hopefully. Before I had a car, I used to have to catch the 6am blackburn bus, then walk up Haslingden road for a shift starting at 7am, If I waited for the connecting bus, it used to get me there 5 - 10 minutes late, so I missed handover. Was a nightmare walking up there in the winter, freezing cold and dark

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 28-09-2003, 09:55   #11
Resting In Peace

Hearing all these comments about the 90/91 service only running during the day when the service is viable, and thinking back when the service was run in the evenings and weekends 365 days a year, for those of you born after 1986 when Mrs. Thatcher and her crew deregulated public transport, it is not a dream, it really was a "public transport service", running when the public needed buses, and not as it is now only run with a view to profit.  
Old 28-09-2003, 12:25   #12
Filthy / Gorgeous

;D  Ernie, do you remember when the corporation had it's annual runs to pantomimes, for all the bus driver's kids, and Blackpool illuminations every year. We all used to stop at a fantastic chippy on the way home, can't remember where it was. 3 Accy double deckers would pull up outside and it was fish and chips all round. Our family never missed it. ;D

Old 28-09-2003, 14:16   #13
Resting In Peace

I certainly do remember the pantomime trips and the Blackpool Illuminations Lettie and I bet I know your Dad too if he was working for Hyndburn before 1986 which seems to be the case as you mention the trips we used to have before deregulation.  As for the chippy, it could be one of two places we used to stop, one was the riverside chipshop in Preston near the motorway roundabout or there was one on the way out on Central Drive in Blackpool.
Old 28-09-2003, 15:54   #14
Filthy / Gorgeous

;D  My dad worked for the corporation from about 1968 /9 ish and still on the buses now, though it's Lancs Utd. Everybody who has lived in Accy for a long time will know him, he used to look like Jimmy Connors when he was younger, Ray Gregory's the name, and he's still a cheeky beggar now. ( only saying that cos he's just spent the best part of an hour winding me up) :-*

Old 28-09-2003, 15:57   #15
Resting in Peace

what till i see him ;D
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..