Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2008, 12:36   #1

Steiner Lodge

I'm trying to locate a place called Steiner Lodge which I suspect is somewhere in Church. I've seen it stated on a relatives death certificate dated 1951. Can anyone help?

Thanks
jabych is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2008, 13:20   #2

Re: Steiner Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabych View Post
I'm trying to locate a place called Steiner Lodge which I suspect is somewhere in Church. I've seen it stated on a relatives death certificate dated 1951. Can anyone help?

Thanks
would that not be the lodge next to Asda as that's the bottom of Steiner Street
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 13:34   #3

Its a possibility- thanks for the tip.

I got the impression that it was behind Newark Street as that was where the relative (a young 3 year old boy) lived.
Old 14-11-2008, 14:05   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabych View Post
Its a possibility- thanks for the tip.

I got the impression that it was behind Newark Street as that was where the relative (a young 3 year old boy) lived.
Steiners Lodge was next to Star St Church, it was drained long ago.
The present road system at Church Traffic lights, now occupies a bit of it.
There were 3 cottages at the end nearest Ossy. You could see them from Church Railway Station.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 14:11   #5

thanks very much
Old 14-11-2008, 18:31   #6
Senior Member+

Hi cant just think of the exact wording, but I am sure the few "cottages" facing Gatty Park are called Steiner Row or something similar. could have been that, or what about the lovely old building, still there, next to these very cottages. that was one of the lodge houses for Hyndburn House, this is where Frederick Steiner lived.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 19:51   #7
Senior Member+

I think that the lodge on Huyndburn rd was Steiner's. The lodge on the Accy-Church boundary close to Newark St and Alleytroyds was , i think, connected with the mill on Pickup Street whuich became Rist's wires.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 22:07   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I think that the lodge on Huyndburn rd was Steiner's. The lodge on the Accy-Church boundary close to Newark St and Alleytroyds was , i think, connected with the mill on Pickup Street whuich became Rist's wires.
If you went behind Union Mill (later Rist's), there was another lodge near where H & B's had their timber yard. The two lodges were separated by the railway and the embankments.
There were also two small lodges attached to Union Mill at one time. There were some cottages at the end of Savoy St.
Retlaw.
Old 25-11-2008, 18:33   #9

I, too, think that the lodge next to ASDA was Steiner's Lodge. As well as the supporting info already given, I think that Hag Works at the opposite end of the lodge from ASDA belonged to Steiner's a long time ago - late 1800s? He may operated it as a print works. Hyndburn Road used to be called Hag or Hagg Road.
davidf
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 18:36   #10

Sorry, it was Hag(g) Lane, not Road.
davidf
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 18:42   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was "Hags Lodge" not the one across from Gatty Park?
Old 25-11-2008, 19:29   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
I, too, think that the lodge next to ASDA was Steiner's Lodge. As well as the supporting info already given, I think that Hag Works at the opposite end of the lodge from ASDA belonged to Steiner's a long time ago - late 1800s? He may operated it as a print works. Hyndburn Road used to be called Hag or Hagg Road.
davidf
What existed of Hyndburn Rd in the old days was originally called Elm Lane, then Allom Lane and when the Baptists moved in it was nicknamed Hellhome Lane, is has also been refered to as Gas House Lane.

Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..