Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2010, 19:09   #1
Senior Member+

Question the history of the accrington terraced house - info req..?

maybe an unusual question but is there anywhere online - pics or otherwise where I can find out more about the history of the typical 2 bed terraced house that I and probably a few of you live in..
for instance I would like to know more about my house -
ok I know it was built in 1910..
but why have the front sitting room and the back room what was the purpose of having 2 seperate rooms?
when did they split the large back bedroom into a bathroom and a bedroom?
what type of person lived in them back in the day or did it depend on the area and what work was there?
how much did it cost to buy back in the day
was it the norm to fit them all with the picture rails, ceiling roses and covings that mine still has?
I am sure you understand what I am trying to find out..
and if anyone has some old pics of the inside of some of them then that would be great..

thanks..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-07-2010, 19:39   #2
Senior Member+

Re: the history of the accrington terraced house - info req..?

My father paid £200.00 for a good sized two bedroom house with attic covering both bedrooms and a cellar which ran all under the hose, this was 1950 in Walsden. We still own it and let my step brother live in it for free, it's worth a bomb today, next door wanted a total refurb and went for £150,000.00
I paid £400.00 when I first came to Accrington in 1967 for a two bedroom house with two reception rooms and a kitchen and a big back yard. I paid £1800 in 1980 to have it modernized with a bathroom made by splitting the big back bedroom.
There were loads of grants around in those days and I think I got most of my costs back from a grant.
I sold it a few years ago and made a big profit but all the other houses had increased in value so I was no better off really when up grading..

I see your title is Glasgow Guy, I remember when I used to oil up the ships in King George docks in Glasgow in 1970 ish and thinking how lucky I was to own my own house when I drove around the tenaments near the Gorbals, a night in the Sally Ann on London road really opened my eyes.
Old 18-07-2010, 19:55   #3

I did the history of my parents house some years ago. It was bought by my grandparents in the late 1920's (Not sure how much but will check as I have the deeds) and then my parents bought it when they got married in 1951 for £350.00.
Pre my grandad buying the house the whole row was owned by the trustees of a local mill that was just at the back and then they sold them off in the 1920's. The back bedroom was split in the 1960's to make the indoor bathroom and I remember my dad saying that they got a grant from the Council to do this work but that would be something you could check in the minutes of the local council at the Library. My parents house stayed much the same over the years and it was only last year when they moved into a bungalow and my sister moved into the house that the picture rails etc were moved.
My mum tells me that when she was a little girl her grandma lived in the front room for a while and I have checked the census returns for the house (and the whole street) and the number of people who lived in these houses was quite frightening at times.

I am sure if you go along to Accrington Library and look at the Burgess Rolls they may tell you who owned and who occupied your house at the time it was built which may give you a clue as to the History of it.
Good Luck with the search - you will find it very interesting.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 20:29   #4
Senior Member+

My mother bought our house in Holland Street for three hundred pounds. That was around 1959. My parents shared the back bedroom with my brother whilst I was in the front one with my Nana. I remember that her mortgage was a pound but can“t recall if that was per week or per month.

She died in the mid sixties and I bullied my father into getting a grant for a bathroom. The first proper bath I“d had in my life.........no more tin jobby in front of the fire!

I got the little bedroom, my father and my brother moved into the front bedroom and Nana had the front room downstairs.

I“ve always presumed that all those streets around that area were either mill houses or miners“ houses. Lots of happy memories and quite a few sad ones and now it“s gone.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 21:48   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think it was 60s when many folk installed a bathroom in terraced houses GlasgowGuy, least it was round our way, before that twas a tin bath hung on a nail in back yard. usually brought in living room on friday night,
Old 18-07-2010, 21:51   #6
Senior Member+

Yes, Cashy and it was my job to wash my father“s back and then clean his shoes before he went off to Dale Street Club...........I so hated it.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 21:55   #7
God Member

my next door neighbour still had an outdoor toilet early 1990s yes accrington.

Last edited by cmonstanley; 18-07-2010 at 21:56. Reason: answer the question before you ask lol
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 22:20   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
my next door neighbour still had an outdoor toilet early 1990s yes accrington.
in my opinion they should never have done away wi the outdoor bogs.
Old 18-07-2010, 22:54   #9
Resting in Peace

I know a bit late now, but last November at the History Society we had a lovely lecture by a Mr. Norman Hindley of Bolton which was entitled "The Little Palace:Home in the 1930's".

It was literally all about the 2 ups/2 downs that were erected during the Cotton Industry. He went through every room describing furniture/fittings and the types of household kitchen and other tools in the house. Of course, the people that lived in them.

I can't find anything about him on the Internet (just a little short passage), so not sure if he has anything in print.

He certainly knew his stuff anyway and an excellent speaker.

Bob Dobson and Atarah will know him .. but will send an E-mail to our secretary to ask if anything available.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 23:20   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I know a bit late now, but last November at the History Society we had a lovely lecture by a Mr. Norman Hindley of Bolton which was entitled "The Little Palace:Home in the 1930's".

It was literally all about the 2 ups/2 downs that were erected during the Cotton Industry. He went through every room describing furniture/fittings and the types of household kitchen and other tools in the house. Of course, the people that lived in them.

I can't find anything about him on the Internet (just a little short passage), so not sure if he has anything in print.

He certainly knew his stuff anyway and an excellent speaker.

Bob Dobson and Atarah will know him .. but will send an E-mail to our secretary to ask if anything available.
would have popped down fer that if ya had said.
Old 19-07-2010, 00:41   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
would have popped down fer that if ya had said.
I did:

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ety-50437.html

Will, however, keep you personally posted on all the lectures for next season...
Old 19-07-2010, 10:31   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I did:

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ety-50437.html

Will, however, keep you personally posted on all the lectures for next season...
The only problem now Kate is that You, Me and Cashy may well be the subjects of local history lectures
Old 19-07-2010, 10:55   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The only problem now Kate is that You, Me and Cashy may well be the subjects of local history lectures
Tee hee ... just because it's your birthday, doesn't mean to say you can get away with being cheeky..

You're not wrong there though Jaysay ... find some of the lectures are within my living memory ('cept the Roman soldiers one) ..
Old 19-07-2010, 11:33   #14
God Member

My parents house is roughly dated 1901 owned by the Peel Family & was rented to mill workers.......some with very interesting names lol. The kitchen [small as it is was an extention in the fifties/sixties] the back room would of been the kitchen & dining area as the original lintel above the kitchen door is still there & would of been the external door to yard which housed the outdoor loo & coalshed outhouses. Front room would be the main lounge. Interesting tho i would presume what became bathroom upstairs was 1 big bedroom that was partioned [ours was badly done] to make space for bathroom.
My former elderly neighbour to us had his house in its orignal layout was without the kitchen extention - which most of the row had.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Last edited by Stanleymad; 19-07-2010 at 11:37.
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 17:57   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Tee hee ... just because it's your birthday, doesn't mean to say you can get away with being cheeky..

You're not wrong there though Jaysay ... find some of the lectures are within my living memory ('cept the Roman soldiers one) ..
Sure about that Kate

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..