Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2009, 20:55   #1
God Member

The Truth ?

Being the age that I am and the untrusting nature that comes with age and experience, I wonder what the politiicians expect of us?
Every single question that is asked of the current government as to the plans for the future gives rise to retoric and ridicule to what the opposition will do.
If I asked my representative a question as to the future i would not expect an attack on his opponent......that shows weakness.
Labour, Conservative, Liberal, Green or whatever........tell the truth.
In todays world you will be found out......come clean.
That senario applies to National and local government, we are not as gullable as we once were and the sooner the powers that be realise that the better.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2009, 00:35   #2
God Member

Re: The Truth ?

It does show a sign of weakness when politicians try to turn questions around and blame the opposition.. but that has always been the name of the game..but the oppostion can lie and say what they like because it's a win win situation... backseat drivers always know best.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 21:19   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
It does show a sign of weakness when politicians try to turn questions around and blame the opposition.. but that has always been the name of the game..but the oppostion can lie and say what they like because it's a win win situation... backseat drivers always know best.
Well chosen words mancie and well put across.

What troubles me that if truth is mentioned the local tub thumpers go missing.

I would have expected that at least one of the local councillors would have responded but alas....No.

The opposition in Hyndburn are Labour councillors....are you suggesting that they are back seat drivers who are are in a win, win situation. I think not.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 22:02   #4
God Member

Question is: what is the truth? Doesn't seem to have any absolute and fixed value in politics .... more of a pragmatic thingy .... truth seems relative to what an individual's prejudices are .... it's not hard to convince a rascist that blacks are inherently dumber than whites. And with politics, we see it on here all the time. Those of a particular persuasion, say, tory, are prepared to accept as true the biggest load of horse manure, as long as it comes from the party to which their biases have attached them.

If by "truth" you mean something like "the true state of the country", I can accept that politicians do distort it ... ok, they downright lie. One thing that is death to any politician (those in power esp.) is to admit that he/she screwed up .... or even that they were wrong. And those in opposition tend to be less likely to tell the political "truth" the closer they get to power. There is always the chance that voters might hold them to the promises that they make in opposition. Politics is bs .... massive piles of feedlot biomass.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 23:57   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Well chosen words mancie and well put across.

What troubles me that if truth is mentioned the local tub thumpers go missing.

I would have expected that at least one of the local councillors would have responded but alas....No.

The opposition in Hyndburn are Labour councillors....are you suggesting that they are back seat drivers who are are in a win, win situation. I think not.
The opposition will always try to disclose the "truth" as long as they are in oppostion.. but they get all tight lipped when gaining power.
I don't know about the local Council but at national level the Tories seem to rely on leaked documents from Government departments to put what they call the truth into the public domain.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 00:11   #6
God Member

Quote:
The opposition will always try to disclose the "truth" as long as they are in oppostion.. but they get all tight lipped when gaining power.
I don't know about the local Council but at national level the Tories seem to rely on leaked documents from Government departments to put what they call the truth into the public domain.
You noticed that too, eh. If waste my time trying to analyse the average speech of a politician holding power, I usually find that it contains nothing other than self serving rhetoric, with the odd slogan thrown in among the cliches and the drivel. Shakespeare could have been describing the average speech of a politician in power when he wrote: "it is a tale/Told by and idiot, full of sound and fury,/Signifying nothing."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 09:46   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
And I remember when Labour were in opposition and that poison dwarf Cook stood at the dispatch box nearly every day waving leaked government documents,
Old 18-09-2009, 12:48   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
You noticed that too, eh. If waste my time trying to analyse the average speech of a politician holding power, I usually find that it contains nothing other than self serving rhetoric, with the odd slogan thrown in among the cliches and the drivel. Shakespeare could have been describing the average speech of a politician in power when he wrote: "it is a tale/Told by and idiot, full of sound and fury,/Signifying nothing."
Or as my dad used to say.
"They can talk all day and say Nowt"

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..