Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2009, 10:54   #1
Senior Member+

Tofu

Hi, question of behalf of friend. TOFU! Never even heard of it myself. Friend is on diet and it recommends a smoothie each morning, made with TOFU.

Now she has bought a packet (which says once opened use with 4 days - which she wont!) - she is not sure what to do with it.

Anyone know please?

atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-07-2009, 11:41   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Tofu

What the heck is tofu anyway?.

For those like me that don't have a clue about it.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 22:08   #3
Senior Member+

It's a mycoprotein if I remember correctly from my veggie days, best used in stir frys and the like as it actually tastes of nothing and needs a strong seasoning like garlic or ginger to give it any taste at all. Funny texture too, bit like curd cheese.
Old 19-07-2009, 16:49   #4
Senior Member+

There are a few different types of tofu. If you want to make a smoothie from it, then I suggest the silken tofu and not the block type.
Old 19-07-2009, 23:34   #5

Tried it once years ago...........it only lasted about 2 seconds in my mouth.............that was the first and last time
Old 20-07-2009, 09:10   #6
Resting in Peace

I've heard of it (its often answers in crosswords) but I've never found he need to try it
Old 25-07-2009, 06:03   #7

After a study in Java on people who ate it once a day they found it increased dementia but the general age on the test was up in the 60's. Its a member of a group of micronutrients called phytoestrogens, which mimic the impact of the female sex hormone oestrogen which may help if going through the menopause. Its made by coagulating soya milk (like cheese making) and plays a big part in Buddhism which has spread it around the world along with the veggies. I dont think its recommended you eat a lot of it and i think its pretty nasty if out of date, its high in protien so could grow some nasty bugs, having a smoothy of it seems a mental way of eating it. I myself would sooner have a blackpudding smoothie with egg and bacon sprinkles on top and a half and half tomatoe and beans on the side
spex357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 17:48   #8
Senior Member+

Mm - thank you for very interesting response. I too have been looking up about Tofu, and this is what I found:-

Many People choose to eat tofu for its natural qualities, its versatility in cooking and the way it absorbs so readily, but there are some other reasons why it's so popular around the world…

It's ideal for low fat, low calories diets as its low in saturated fats and low in carbohydrates. It is also rich in protein and it contains all eight essential amino acids.
Lowering blood cholesterol levels can help to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. Tofu is cholesterol-free, so it can really help with this.
It's also useful in keeping blood pressure under control because it's low in sodium/salt.
Tofu can reduce menopause symptoms and act as a natural alternative to HRT, because it's rich in oestrogen-like isoflavones.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..