Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2004, 10:58   #1

Union Street, Accrington

A) A few of my ancestors lived in Union Street, so I do not know if anyone can help me out with the buildings marked 1,2 and 3 on the 1848 map of Accrington.

B) Does anyone know who owned the Iron Foundry ?
C) Does anyone know who owned Spring Mill Cotton ?
D) Was Pleck House the building south west of the well ?
E) Which is the Union Buildings mill on the map ?

I believe the following information also be relevant.

Kelly's 1895 Trade directory
============================
Under 'Manufacturers of Cotton Goods' for Accrington :-
Cunliffe Henry and Sons (252 looms), Union Buildings mill, Union Street

1881 Census for Henry Cunliffe
==============================
65 Avenue Parade, Accrington (RG11 4140/31 6)
Henry G Cunliffe/Head/M/Male/39/Accrington/Manager of Cotton Mill
Alice A Cunliffe/Wife/M/Female/32/Accrington

11 Avenue Parade, Accrington (RG11 4140/31 6)
Henry Cunliffe/Head/M/Male/71/Accrington/Cotton Spinner and Manufacturer 300 work people
Mary A Cunliffe/Wife/M/Female/67/Ireland
Alice Cunliffe/Dau/U/Female/36/Accrington
John Wilson Cunliffe/Son/U/Male/34/Accrington/Cotton Manufacturer
Lucy Reynold/Serv/U/Female/21/Kempton, Shropshire/Domestic Servant

(The remaining Henry Cunliffe's on the 1881 do not show a job title equivalent to mill manager)

Accrington Fire Station
=======================
Grade II Listed building the Fire Station on Manchester Road, built approx. 1936 by H Cunliffe & Sons
Attached Images
File Type: gif accringtonmap.gif (16.1 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by Weary Tourist; 15-05-2004 at 11:09. Reason: Problems displaying the image correctly
Weary Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-05-2004, 12:21   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Union Street, Accrington

Hi, might you be related to Mr Robert Cunliffe then of Preston area. He has Cunliffes from these mills in his tree.

You can still see bits of the remains of Plect House, was approx. where Catlows corner used to be, now an Insurance place. If you go up that backalley which is actually on Broadway, you can see bits of blocked up windows from the old house.

The fire station on Manchester Road was indeed built by Cunliffes, there is even still a sign on the court house wall saying so. An ancestor of mine worked for Cunliffes, there is a smashing photo showing the laying of the foundation stone.

I believe the foundry was owned by Mr Christie. In fact, his house is still here! Its what is being done up at the moment, for some beauticians to move into!! It's the old pub (cant think of its name) just under the arch on Blackburn Road
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2004, 17:54   #3
God Member

Blimey...we were just talking about the 1848 map last night...and I've just gone and put a post on here (on the map) without reading this post....is this a strange coincidence or what?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2004, 18:03   #4
mez
God Member

it was known as the big crown when i was young, then i knew it as africas. yes tea wot a coincedence////
Old 28-03-2006, 06:20   #5

Talking of the Cunliffe's.....can someone please tell me whether Henry Gibson Cunliffe, son of Henry Cunliffe was related to Robert Cunliffe (orchestra founder) and if so, what was their relationship......

Thanks.......
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..