Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 12:02   #2191
God Member

Re: weather??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
October the 10th is St Lukes day....and a sunny warmish spell around this date is referred to as 'St Luke's Little Summer'.........I like the Autumn colours, but it fills me with dread that later on in the month we will put the clocks back by an hour and we will have shorter days.......dark when we get up and dark early in the afternoon.
It makes me want to hibernate until the end of March.
Never heard of "St. Lukes Little Summer" how quaint! Hope you get another one over in the UK too -I believe you've had a good spell recently.
I love it when the days draw in -cosy evenings and frosty breath in the morning, wonderful

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2011, 12:05   #2192
Beacon of light

Friday and Saturday were warm and sunny...yesterday was grey and gloomy but not cold...today it is a bit indifferent.

Many people do not know about St Luke's Little Summer. I like to do a bit of educating, when I can.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12   #2193
God Member

Quote:
Friday and Saturday were warm and sunny...yesterday was grey and gloomy but not cold...today it is a bit indifferent.

Many people do not know about St Luke's Little Summer. I like to do a bit of educating, when I can.
It is always a good day when you have learned something new -so for today - I thank you!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-10-2011, 12:20   #2194
God Member

Quote:
October the 10th is St Lukes day....and a sunny warmish spell around this date is referred to as 'St Luke's Little Summer'.........I like the Autumn colours, but it fills me with dread that later on in the month we will put the clocks back by an hour and we will have shorter days.......dark when we get up and dark early in the afternoon.
It makes me want to hibernate until the end of March.
Remember the last line of "Ode to the West Wind": "If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind. Obviously, Shelley didn't live in Canada
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:31   #2195
God Member

I have a good view of two mature trees from my lounge window - a scandinavian maple and a sycamore.

For the nine years I have lived here, the sycamore has always dropped its leaves before the maple.

This year the maple is changing colour first - strange

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:54   #2196
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Must be quite a sight to see the migration of the geese. Here in Italy the weather is great -28°C in the afternoon but there's an autumny feel with leaves falling. Went along the canal today on my bike -great place for freeing the mind and thinking. There are lots of Moorhen this year as well as the usual ducks. Kept my eyes open as I have seen a Kingfisher there once last year -amazing, he wasn't around today though. Have only ever seen one before over 30 yrs ago while out walking with my dad along the Ribble down near Whalley Nab...
Talking of Kingfishers ... although there are none right in the city of course, one can find them in Frontenac Park, just north of here .... I'll be heading there next monday, Thanksgiving Day.

Frontenac
Old 03-10-2011, 13:10   #2197
God Member

Quote:
Nature is a wonderful thing -puts everything back into perspective, what seems big is actually small in the grand scale of things....
Didn't realise the 10th was Thanksgiving in Canada -I will also be celebrating, but just another birthday! We are due to continue with the good sunny weather till then according to the forecasts ...in the meantime I'll keep getting out on the bike and conversing with nature (it can't refuse to listen!)
Thanksgiving is not on the same day every year; it is celebrated on the second monday in October. Which means it gives us a long weekend so that Canadians can indulge in that traditional Canadian pastime: drinking lots of beer.
Old 03-10-2011, 20:23   #2198
God Member

9.20pm -It is supposed to be 14C outside right now(per BBC), and it hasn't been particularly sunny today, yet my wall thermometer is at 28C, and I have got my aircon machine on again trying to get the temp down to 24C.
I find this very unexplainable. The man in the flat below me is not home, and has been out since midday, so he can't be using his heating.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:20   #2199
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
9.20pm -It is supposed to be 14C outside right now(per BBC), and it hasn't been particularly sunny today, yet my wall thermometer is at 28C, and I have got my aircon machine on again trying to get the temp down to 24C.
I find this very unexplainable. The man in the flat below me is not home, and has been out since midday, so he can't be using his heating.
Out of interest what temp is it now Margaret?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:23   #2200
God Member

I only got up an hour ago and flung the window wide open - thermometer reads 22C.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:34   #2201
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I only got up an hour ago and flung the window wide open - thermometer reads 22C.
The reason I asked is that I certainly didn't feel stifled last night and temp does effect me very much, but I had a very good night sleep, which I didn't have when it was very warm last week, and I live in a ground floor flat which tend to be warmer than ones like yours on the first floor, and this morning it certainly doesn't feel that bad at all
Old 04-10-2011, 11:11   #2202
Resting in Peace

My outside temperature is 13 degrees C at the moment.
19 degrees inside. Need to put a fire on. Brrrr.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 14:07   #2203
God Member

Sorry, folks it's 28°C and sunny here again...don't want to rub it in too much. My comfort zone is 25°C and below being a delicate English rose...I stay out of the sun and prefer blustery Lankyshire weather. Anyone fancy a swap?

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 04-10-2011, 14:08   #2204
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Talking of Kingfishers ... although there are none right in the city of course, one can find them in Frontenac Park, just north of here .... I'll be heading there next monday, Thanksgiving Day.

Frontenac
Does that mean you'll be out fishing again Eric? My husband's a fan -have tried going along with him in the past but find it too boring -used to take a book to pass the time...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 04-10-2011, 17:54   #2205
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Does that mean you'll be out fishing again Eric? My husband's a fan -have tried going along with him in the past but find it too boring -used to take a book to pass the time...
Ya drowning worms was never my idea of a pass time either

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..