Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2007, 22:29   #16
Senior Member+

Re: What is a bully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
So telling someone u have had difficulties with to their face, being open & honest about their feelings towards that person.......is that bullying??
naah that's just honesty!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2007, 22:31   #17
God Member

I'm sorry but 'bullying' was a serious issue when I was younger but now it's used so often out of context it has become a joke. For instance, if I tell one of my kids off one of the others whispers (thinking I can't hear) "BULLIED!!!" How can serious issues regarding bullying be addressed when minor incidents are regarded as bullying?

I still don't get it!
Old 16-01-2007, 22:32   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
Even if your honesty isnt nice & complimentary ?????????
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 22:32   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
Honesty can often come over as aggressive. Is that bullying?
Old 16-01-2007, 22:35   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
I'm sorry but 'bullying' was a serious issue when I was younger but now it's used so often out of context it has become a joke. For instance, if I tell one of my kids off one of the others whispers (thinking I can't hear) "BULLIED!!!" How can serious issues regarding bullying be addressed when minor incidents are regarded as bullying?

I still don't get it!
Thats a bloody point???

Where is the line drawn?? How many times as when u were a kid u got told off for tittle tattling/tell taling on someone over a very minor incident of little name calling but then theres a kid with a serious sytematic mental & sometimes violent bullying that says ..nothing nor admits about it, suffering in silence.

There must be a line between ?
Old 16-01-2007, 22:35   #21
God Member

Quote:
So telling someone u have had difficulties with to their face, being open & honest about their feelings towards that person.......is that bullying??
I would'nt say it is.. telling them how it is.. but then to spread your opionin to others.. to give yourself back up, is maybe bullying.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 22:39   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I would'nt say it is.. telling them how it is.. but then to spread your opionin to others.. to give yourself back up, is maybe bullying.
Tho couldnt that talking behind back be for something else like, sharing a problem or asking opinion on how to handle the situ or to gain factual support in a mutual shared problem .......... thing is we do all do it ...is it human nature to gossip? the newspapers/media/tabloid make a living off it!!
Old 16-01-2007, 22:40   #23
God Member

Quote:
There must be a line between ?
That's my point, Where does disagreements, dislike of a person or general strength/weakness of a character end and bullying start?
Old 16-01-2007, 22:47   #24
God Member

yeah Mel...lol.. what do you mean?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 22:48   #25
Resident Waffler

Being honest with someone about not getting on with them can't be bullying but if someone keeps making the other person's life a misery then that surely is.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 22:49   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
yeah Mel...lol.. what do you mean?
well.... even gossiping about someone could be deemed as bullying
Old 16-01-2007, 23:19   #27
I am Banned

if making somones life a misery is bullying them maybe its about time marrage was outlawed
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 00:05   #28
Give, give, give member

Good thread Tinks.

Sometimes I wonder if it appears as if I am a cyber bully on here. If I think I'm right, and someone else is being rude, or patronising to anyone, I will use everything at my disposal to get the better of that person. Is that bullying? I don't know.

Like I'm sure lots of people on here, I could tell you how I was bullied as a child up to about the age of eleven for being a 'puff'. After that I used humour as an armour and it stopped. I realised if people didn't like me, tough titty. Also being 5 foot 11, and built like a brick sh*t house sort of helped.

What I'm proud of most in life, is at about the age of 14, I went against my classmates mob rule, and protected, and physically stopped the bullying of other kids.

Bullying can take many forms, but to me always shows a weakness on the bully's part.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 00:11   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Honesty can often come over as aggressive. Is that bullying?
i wouldn't say so though i suppose it depends on the context in which you are using the honesty.

i suppose if someone were overwieight and a person repeatedly referred to it for the purpose of belittling them orto make them feel insecure or hurt then yes
but if a person were to refer to it once with no intention of causing any hurt (ie just making an observation) then no

i guess what i'm trying to say is for it to be bullying there has to be the intent there to cause either repeated physical or mental hurt.
Old 17-01-2007, 00:14   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Good thread Tinks.

Sometimes I wonder if it appears as if I am a cyber bully on here. If I think I'm right, and someone else is being rude, or patronising to anyone, I will use everything at my disposal to get the better of that person. Is that bullying? I don't know
i wouldn't say that rindy you've just got your own opinions and you stick to your guns
a very respectable characteristic!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..