Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2007, 07:50   #31

Re: Why?

chocolate was only brought in for the comercial market .nothing to do with easter .origanely people wood boil eggs and hand paint them as presents to give to one another to reprecent the bolder which was moved from the cave .were jesus was .
Accrington Web
Old 13-04-2007, 08:02   #32
God Member

eggs is eggs
Old 13-04-2007, 08:07   #33

just dont carry them all in one basket lol
Old 13-04-2007, 09:34   #34
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE View Post
Mmmm lots of interesting answers here. Rindy's right. Well sort of.
This is what I was led to believe, firstly by Mum n Dad and later through Sunday School.
Good Friday was the Day that Jesus was Crusified. He rose again 3day's after the Crusifiction.
Day 1 Saturday, Day 2 Sunday, Day 3 Easter Monday. Assention Day.

Ah well there you go, That explains it. Except he didn't rise 3 days after the crucifixion. He rose 'on the third day'. Friday was the first day, Saturday was the second day and Sunday was the third day. This is also why we have Sunday as our holy or Sabbath day. You know that "Six days shalt thou labour and do all that though hast to do but the seventh is the sabbath of the Lord thy God. In it thou shalt do no work, neither thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor the stranger within thy gates etc etc..."? Well if you look at a calendar you'll see that Sunday isn't the seventh day. It's the first day.

The Jews (today and in Jesus's time) have Saturday as their Sabbath day because it is the 7th day of the week and they are doing like it says - mind you some ignore the manservant, maidservant and stranger bit and get other people to do things for them on the Sabbath even as far as switching a light on or off for very orthodox Jews.

The early Christians also kept Saturday as their Sabbath but somewhere along the way it was changed to Sunday in honour of the day that Jesus rose from the dead.

Ascension Day is another thing altogether. After his resurrection Jesus spent time with various people. He even had a picnic on the beach and chatted to a couple of chaps on the road to Emmaus but it didn't dawn on them who he was at first. It's generally regarded that he stayed 40 days after his resurrection before ascending to Heaven. This year Ascension Day will officially be May 17th - it's always on a Thursday but some churches sort of celebrate it on the following Sunday. Our church doesn't actually make a thing of it at all though and like "Whitsuntide" which used to be celebrated with Whit Monday walks and things it seems to have become largely forgotten nowadays.

Here endeth the lesson for today

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 10:00   #35
white rabbits

I never realy thought about eating eggs on Easter Sunday,seriously though is that why there are crosses on hot cross buns ,so we eat them on good friday..?
Old 13-04-2007, 10:01   #36
God Member

i love hot cross buns
Old 13-04-2007, 10:03   #37
Resident Waffler

mmmmm so do I.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 10:11   #38

butter melting on mine just took them from the grill yum yum
Old 14-04-2007, 16:45   #39

Very interesting thread -- just shows one is never too old to learn. However, I am somewhat concerned as to wether or not Him / Her Up There will give me bad Karma for eating them before the official date. And by the way, as it was a Fiver to go in Canterbury Cathedral I didn`t get the chance to see the Archbishop. ( Footnote: I am rather careful regarding parting with Coin of the Realm these days.)
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 16:53   #40
God Member

lol i dont blame you Bert
Old 14-04-2007, 18:24   #41

When i was younger and lived at home i was never allowed to eat my eggs until after church on Easter Sunday. Even now i won't let any Easter eggs be eaten until Easter Sunday. Kids moan, but tough.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 20:10   #42
God Member

I was surprised my egg lasted till good Friday, it was given to me 2 weeks before!
Old 14-04-2007, 20:25   #43
Passed away 25-11-09

When do you stop eating Easter Eggs?

Last year my granddaughter got so many she was still eating them in July - she's only allowed a limited amount of chocolate a day. In October I found one lurking on top of a kitchen wall-cupboard. I had a look at it and the chocolate was all, sort of, filmy so I chucked it in the bin.

This year her mum pleaded with everyone not to buy her eggs so she got the money or presents instead - but she still got 4 of them and 2 chocolate rabbits. Sadly, no one bought her a dark chocolate one. If they had, I could have helped to save her teeth and prevent obesity - but I hate milk chocolate.
Old 14-04-2007, 20:30   #44
God Member

My daughter still has 3 left plus 4 cadbury's creme eggs and some mini eggs, I limit her, then pig out when she's in bed
Old 14-04-2007, 20:46   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
When do you stop eating Easter Eggs?

Last year my granddaughter got so many she was still eating them in July - she's only allowed a limited amount of chocolate a day. In October I found one lurking on top of a kitchen wall-cupboard. I had a look at it and the chocolate was all, sort of, filmy so I chucked it in the bin.

This year her mum pleaded with everyone not to buy her eggs so she got the money or presents instead - but she still got 4 of them and 2 chocolate rabbits. Sadly, no one bought her a dark chocolate one. If they had, I could have helped to save her teeth and prevent obesity - but I hate milk chocolate.

i reckon you should stop eating them when they go out of date

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..