Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2010, 11:34   #1
God Member

Wiring to Earth?

I have been investigating the possibility that 'earth grounding' may have the potential to improve sleep quality and general health.

I have read arguments for and against the practice. My lifestyle does limit my 'barefoot contact' with the earth. (I once tried it whilst sitting on a sun lounger, and got a nasty insect bite for my trouble). Here seems a balanced expression of both viewpoints -
Earthing and Grounding

There are expensive 'grounding mats' (bed size costa plenty - desk mat size around £50 to £60), and there are cheapo DIY methods which involve using aluminium blankets (as used in survival kits) placed under your cotton sheet and connected to the nearest waterpipe (which is a feed to a radiator) using a length of standard house wiring. This seems the only practical option for me because I live at 1st floor level, so I can't put an earth into any nearby ground. I am considering trying this.

I then have to consider whether my central heating system has a ground connection, and I have doubts. When I had my bathroom install last March, a radiator which had an earth connector visible, was replaced by the ladder towel rail which I bought, and it doesn't. I did ask why not at the time and the plumber said that such a ground wire was no longer deemed neccessary.

I do have a ground wire in this flat, it is clipped to a gas pipe near my gas meter.

So I seek the advice from you plumbers and or electricians -
Do you think that my central heating pipes provide me with a connection to earth?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-12-2010, 11:51   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Wiring to Earth?

Believe it or not, but you spend the absolute greatest proportion of your life connected to earth, it is more difficult not being 'earthed'.

The reason for an earth wire, is to make sure that should a fault occur, the electricity is grounded via the earth bonding and not through you, because you would be a good connection to 'Earth'.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 11:58   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have been investigating the possibility that 'earth grounding' may have the potential to improve sleep quality and general health.

I have read arguments for and against the practice. My lifestyle does limit my 'barefoot contact' with the earth. (I once tried it whilst sitting on a sun lounger, and got a nasty insect bite for my trouble). Here seems a balanced expression of both viewpoints -
Earthing and Grounding

There are expensive 'grounding mats' (bed size costa plenty - desk mat size around £50 to £60), and there are cheapo DIY methods which involve using aluminium blankets (as used in survival kits) placed under your cotton sheet and connected to the nearest waterpipe (which is a feed to a radiator) using a length of standard house wiring. This seems the only practical option for me because I live at 1st floor level, so I can't put an earth into any nearby ground. I am considering trying this.

I then have to consider whether my central heating system has a ground connection, and I have doubts. When I had my bathroom install last March, a radiator which had an earth connector visible, was replaced by the ladder towel rail which I bought, and it doesn't. I did ask why not at the time and the plumber said that such a ground wire was no longer deemed neccessary.

I do have a ground wire in this flat, it is clipped to a gas pipe near my gas meter.

So I seek the advice from you plumbers and or electricians -
Do you think that my central heating pipes provide me with a connection to earth?
The water in the pipes comes from the ground, so any copper pipe carrying water, must eventully be grounded, back through the system whether its a central heating pipe or what. Gas pipes from the mains supply were made of steel and when that was laid it was lagged to prevent corrosion, now gas pipes laid in streets are plastic, so wheres the earth on a new gas pipe.
Retlaw

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 12:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The water in the pipes comes from the ground, so any copper pipe carrying water, must eventully be grounded, back through the system whether its a central heating pipe or what. Gas pipes from the mains supply were made of steel and when that was laid it was lagged to prevent corrosion, now gas pipes laid in streets are plastic, so wheres the earth on a new gas pipe.
Retlaw

Retlaw

http://www.plasticpipesgroup.com/pdfs/earthbonding.pdf
Old 15-12-2010, 12:23   #5
God Member

Thank you both for informative responses.

In the link supplied by Less I did read about the 'supplementary bonding/earthing' in bathrooms - that link explains why my radiator had one, and why my gas meter has one

Retlaw's response makes sense to me too.

The type of connection to earth that is recommended for possible health benefits, is a flow from the earth, as well as the discharge of static to the earth. I suppose I could get the same effect by sleeping clutching the nearest water pipe - but that isn't practical.

Old 15-12-2010, 12:33   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I suppose I could get the same effect by sleeping clutching the nearest water pipe - but that isn't practical.
Handcuffs ???? Or is that something else ??
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 12:36   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Handcuffs ???? Or is that something else ??
Copper handcuffs maybe - know where I can buy them?
I would also need to move my bed near the radiator, or go to arm lengthening lessons

Old 15-12-2010, 14:24   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Thank you both for informative responses.

In the link supplied by Less I did read about the 'supplementary bonding/earthing' in bathrooms - that link explains why my radiator had one, and why my gas meter has one

Retlaw's response makes sense to me too.

The type of connection to earth that is recommended for possible health benefits, is a flow from the earth, as well as the discharge of static to the earth. I suppose I could get the same effect by sleeping clutching the nearest water pipe - but that isn't practical.
If you get an ordinary 3 pin plug, open it and remove the + & - pins, seal the holes up & attach a wire to the earth pin, when you plug it in you will only have an earth connection.

Retlaw.
Old 15-12-2010, 14:43   #9
God Member

Some of the products available do use that way of earthing
Earthing Connection Universal Mat
.....but some sites don't recommend that way.

I need to find out more about Earth proton emissions - Schumann resonance seems to be involved too. My brain is bursting at the mo with all this strange physics stuff, (I must need the grounding but barefoot in the grass is too extreme.)

I might end up buying one of those mats (above) - I can use it in bed and at the PC - if it does nothing else, at least I wont get any more static shocks from my PC tower (which started me off on this track in the first place)

Old 15-12-2010, 15:21   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Some of the products available do use that way of earthing
Earthing Connection Universal Mat
.....but some sites don't recommend that way.

I need to find out more about Earth proton emissions - Schumann resonance seems to be involved too. My brain is bursting at the mo with all this strange physics stuff, (I must need the grounding but barefoot in the grass is too extreme.)

I might end up buying one of those mats (above) - I can use it in bed and at the PC - if it does nothing else, at least I wont get any more static shocks from my PC tower (which started me off on this track in the first place)
Seems like women are prone to static electrickery, when face ache worked at the Dowry St call center, she and her work mates were always getting static shocks, I never felt any when I picked her up from work, turned out to be the type of carpet and humidity of the air with all the central heating on. She some times got a shock when she opened the car door.
Not all appliances these days have an actual earth connection, although they have a three pin plug on them. How about a layer of kitchen foil under the carpet where your computer is.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 15-12-2010 at 15:24.
Old 15-12-2010, 17:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
If you get an ordinary 3 pin plug, open it and remove the + & - pins, seal the holes up & attach a wire to the earth pin, when you plug it in you will only have an earth connection.

Retlaw.
Under no circumstances would I recommend the above, anyone that plays with plugs/sockets without expert advise is asking for an illuminated address just off Burnley road!
Old 15-12-2010, 18:01   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Under no circumstances would I recommend the above, anyone that plays with plugs/sockets without expert advise is asking for an illuminated address just off Burnley road!
She would be earthed then
Old 15-12-2010, 18:44   #13
Senior Member+

Some while ago I had a serious back operation and to help me get around I bought a small invalid scooter, just big enough to fit in the boot of the car. I only used it on odd occasions but a few times I took it to Blackburn Hospital when I was visiting my wife who was as far away from the entrance as one could get.

I drove through the corridors and when I pressed the lift button I thought my arm was broken with the static shock. When I returned I used a glove to press the button. It seems the rubber tyres on the floor must have built up some static and I earthed myself with the metal button on the lift door entrance. It never happened to people walking who did the pressing. The scooter is still in my shed and in mint condition but saved for later in my twighlight years.
Dodgy stuff electricity if you don't know what you are doing and my advice is the same as less, leave it to the people who get paid to take risks. It's not that long ago I passed my City and Guilds in Radio Electronics and people say " I don't know how you can mess with electricity", my reply is, " I don't, I only mess with wires".
Old 15-12-2010, 19:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Dodgy stuff electricity if you don't know what you are doing and my advice is the same as less, leave it to the people who get paid to take risks. It's not that long ago I passed my City and Guilds in Radio Electronics and people say " I don't know how you can mess with electricity", my reply is, " I don't, I only mess with wires".
I would go a little further, we are paid not to take risks, only the ignorant 'take risks'.
Never take a risk by trusting someone willing to let you, 'take a risk'.
Old 15-12-2010, 19:08   #15
Senior Member+

OK less, maybe I phrased it wrongly but I think you understood my meaning. Let the people who are trained professionally to do the job is a better way to put it.

Apologies.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..