Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014, 12:18   #16
Junior Member+

Re: WOODNOOK c.s. school

I REMEMBER A LINDA FROM BELFIELD ROAD BUT CANNOT PICTURE YOU, happy days we recall now ,not so happy at the time when getting hit with wooden ruler on back of legs by
MISS SUDALL !!
seanfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2014, 12:20   #17
Junior Member+

O what sad things we think about at our age. lol
Old 06-08-2014, 12:26   #18
Junior Member+

what happened to the FLYNN FAMILY ?????
Old 06-08-2014, 12:47   #19
Resting In Peace

Yes they were happy times except for getting the ruler on your hands or legs. Not sure about the Flynn family. If you gave me a Christian name I might remember.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:56   #20
Beacon of light

They lived on Riley's Hill...Patrick was the dad, Dorothy the mum...they were a largish family but I can only remember two of the boys Peter...and Craig. Craig was deaf and went to the special school in Preston......there was a daughter too Jacqueline.....and Patricia...Patrica was also deaf.
I am sure they were a branch off the Sandiford family.....but I can't quite remember how they were related.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 13:47   #21
Resting In Peace

Of course. I remember them now. Sure my mum worked with one of them Pat. I think, at high arms mill. Thanks for that anyway.
Old 06-08-2014, 13:57   #22
Senior Member+

Linda - did you marry a Tommy Shanks? One lived next door to me in Dowry St with his grandma and went to St John's. I don't think he is still alive. If he is, he will be just over 70yrs
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 14:29   #23
Resting In Peace

No Bob. I married Donald Shanks. He passed away seven years ago aged 61. I know there were Shanks's in the Dowry Street, Water street area but they are not related.
Old 06-08-2014, 16:43   #24
Senior Member+

One of em had a pony I think. Ta XXX
Old 06-08-2014, 18:01   #25
Resting In Peace

Wish I had ten pence for every time someone has cracked that joke to me. Would be rich. Haha.
Old 06-08-2014, 19:41   #26
Senior Member+

In that case, perhaps I should have mentioned Shanks, the firm which made white sanitary ware.Toilets etc.
Old 06-08-2014, 20:12   #27
Resting In Peace

Now you mention it, I am sure we had a Shanks toilet at one time. Much better than the tippler toilet I remember from when we lived in Mill Street in the early 50's. Terrified of it!!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:48   #28

Hi Margaret, I'm the same, can't remember too much from the day, but I remember Mick used to ride a Norton 750. I think it was yellow. We used to drink in the Woodnook Inn, which from memory was close to where you used to live (Riley's Hill). There was also a guy named Dave Sourbutts, who used hang around with us. At the time, and for who knows why, my nickname was Molly!! Before we moved to Rothwell Ave, we used to my parents had the Star Inn on Nuttall St.
Malcolm D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 16:15   #29
Junior Member+

paul was one of them and pat was the elder girl both were deaf if i remember correct

sean
Old 08-08-2014, 16:31   #30
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm D View Post
Hi Margaret, I'm the same, can't remember too much from the day, but I remember Mick used to ride a Norton 750. I think it was yellow. We used to drink in the Woodnook Inn, which from memory was close to where you used to live (Riley's Hill). There was also a guy named Dave Sourbutts, who used hang around with us. At the time, and for who knows why, my nickname was Molly!! Before we moved to Rothwell Ave, we used to my parents had the Star Inn on Nuttall St.
I have quite a good memeory.(for most things anyway)
The time when you Knew our boys was when I had left home.... so I did not come into contact with the people that my brothers were friends with.
That is why we do not remember each other...because we never met.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..