Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   The Lady with no hands (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/the-lady-with-no-hands-34122.html)

Atarah 13-10-2007 12:37

Re: The Lady with no hands

Do you know, I never knew she had married. Atarah

joan walsh 06-11-2008 23:24

My grandfather William Mawdsley was one of the policemen who attended this dreadful crime. My mother said that he found the childs hands under the chair. Sadly he died before I was born but I'm told he never got over the horror of that day. Until now I never knew the date of the crime so I intend to search Accrington Observer records.

magpie 07-11-2008 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by joan walsh (Post 648202)
My grandfather William Mawdsley was one of the policemen who attended this dreadful crime. My mother said that he found the childs hands under the chair. Sadly he died before I was born but I'm told he never got over the horror of that day. Until now I never knew the date of the crime so I intend to search Accrington Observer records.

There is already a press folder about this, at Accrington Library :

Just ask in the local studies section... Magpie

SUSANFEDDEN 05-08-2009 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 480478)
Her step-father cut of the little girl's hands ( she was five at the time) the man had been falling out with the little girl's mother... he took the Agnes away from school and then in an act of total madness he cut of her hands , then tried to kill himself: the later he failed and got life in prision:

I am doing some research into the case... I am looking for stories and also if anyone's got any old pictures of victoria street Accrington that would show number 12:

i was brought up on victoria st i remember my parents talking bout girl wi no hands i also remwmber bout vthem talking bout a body of a girl who who was found under a bridge on nuttal st

BLACKCATWHITEFEET 21-10-2009 19:58

This lady was my great grandmothers niece and i used to visit her often. I don't know a lot about the story as she didn't like talking about it. However that didn't stop her day to day life. She was an avid painter and produced some excellent pieces of art. She later went on to marry Arthur Weaver. They both passed away a number of years ago. Arthur while they lived at Ledger Court, Accrington and Agnes while residing at Whinside, Whalley Road. She was a lovely lady and has been sadly missed.

Nell 22-10-2009 12:52

My neighbour used to be her neighbour when it happened. She met her again when she had grown up, she worked at a jewellers and Agnes came in with her fiancee to buy a ring - thats how she remembered her. It was very sad, but her strength of character shone through.

s.pollard 07-08-2010 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKCATWHITEFEET (Post 755470)
This lady was my great grandmothers niece and i used to visit her often. I don't know a lot about the story as she didn't like talking about it. However that didn't stop her day to day life. She was an avid painter and produced some excellent pieces of art. She later went on to marry Arthur Weaver. They both passed away a number of years ago. Arthur while they lived at Ledger Court, Accrington and Agnes while residing at Whinside, Whalley Road. She was a lovely lady and has been sadly missed.

She was my dads cousin

Deborah 04-05-2011 12:03

Susan, My nana was brought up in Victoria St and said she used to walk to school with Agnes, she was older about 12 years old when it happened and she told me the story much later about what happened, She said she and Agnes wrote a xmas card to each other every year until her death. My nanas maiden name was Jenny Haworth and i think she said she lived at 5 Victoria St. I later after her death at 97yrs (my nana) researched and got copy of Accrington local paper of the year it occured to see how much of Nans memory was true and found out it was the truth. It had huge impact on nan as her mum died a few weeks after this happened as well.

maxthecollie 21-06-2011 14:51

Simon Entwistle the ghost story teller tells a tale of this when he does his talks on murders and mysteries

Tealeaf 21-06-2011 16:07

Apart from the Lady with No Hands, do any of you lot remember the man with no face? Going back to the 1960's I would see him occaisionally walking along Blackburn Rd, dressed in a brownish raincoat and a trilby hat; he had no nose, no eyelids or eyebrows or lips. At some time, he'd been horribly burnt but because of his injuries it was impossible to put an age on him, so whether he was a vet. of WW1, 2 or a had suffered industrial injuries, I don't know.

Gobbiner17 21-06-2011 16:36

I remember seeing him, but know nothing about him.

jaysay 21-06-2011 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 913381)
Apart from the Lady with No Hands, do any of you lot remember the man with no face? Going back to the 1960's I would see him occaisionally walking along Blackburn Rd, dressed in a brownish raincoat and a trilby hat; he had no nose, no eyelids or eyebrows or lips. At some time, he'd been horribly burnt but because of his injuries it was impossible to put an age on him, so whether he was a vet. of WW1, 2 or a had suffered industrial injuries, I don't know.

I remember him Tealeaf, always had a plaster where is nose was, always felt sorry for the guy

Tealeaf 21-06-2011 17:35

I should have added that his head was usually down. I wonder who he was?

jaysay 21-06-2011 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 913406)
I should have added that his head was usually down. I wonder who he was?

I'll bet MargaretR will know

Tealeaf 21-06-2011 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 913409)
I'll bet MargaretR will know

Yeah...she will probably say he was attacked in the Great Flying Saucer Invaison of Accy in 1936 (all records of which are still hidden from the public).