Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Clough Bottom Farm, Accrington (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/clough-bottom-farm-accrington-36834.html)

Mitchells 08-02-2008 11:42

Clough Bottom Farm, Accrington

Hiya, whilst researching my family history i discovered my ancestors where originally from clough bottom farm in Accrington.

After researching this for some time i found a farm in Baxenden by the same name, quite close to the college. Does anybody on here know the name and address of the owner or where i could aquire them.

Its a long shot i know but it worth a try.

Thanxx

jaysay 08-02-2008 17:09

Re: Clough Bottom Farm, Accrington

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchells (Post 528535)
Hiya, whilst researching my family history i discovered my ancestors where originally from clough bottom farm in Accrington.

After researching this for some time i found a farm in Baxenden by the same name, quite close to the college. Does anybody on here know the name and address of the owner or where i could aquire them.

Thanxx

I done know where you live Mitchells, if you where local you could look it up in the register of electors at the library, failing that i'm sure some else on here will know where on line you could find out, but i've never looked for these kind of things on line myself

Retlaw 08-02-2008 18:45

Clough Bottom Farm is not in Baxenden, it is in Accrington
map ref 774-277.
Go up throgh what is now Caligen Foam, till 150 yards past the old Broad Oak Dye house buildings, turn left into farm lane, up the hill for 200 yards and turn right into Cat Hall lane. the farm is at the end of the lane. The owner in the 1980's was called Dick Guy. whether he is still there or not I don't know.

Retlaw

Atarah 10-02-2008 09:23

Clough Bottom Farm, Accrington

Hi, just wondering if you might have had any connection with MITCHELLS RESERVOIR, but ...unfortunately cannot find anything.shame, that would have been good!

Atarah

JEFF 11-02-2008 13:46

ELECTORAL ROLL 2007
RICHARD GUY, CLOUGH BOTTOM FARM, BROAD OAK ROAD, ACCRINGTON, LANCASHIRE BB5 2DG
Age guide: 25-29 (?), other occupants DIANE DEVINE

redneck 28-02-2008 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEFF (Post 529618)
ELECTORAL ROLL 2007
RICHARD GUY, CLOUGH BOTTOM FARM, BROAD OAK ROAD, ACCRINGTON, LANCASHIRE BB5 2DG
Age guide: 25-29 (?), other occupants DIANE DEVINE

i know dick and diane, dick is in is 65+ diane is late 40's and they still live there

billymac 18-12-2008 19:07

cloughbottom farm is owned by richard guy he is my father inlaw can i help you

Sox 26-12-2008 23:00

In the 80s we used to fish Warmden Reservoir (let out to Hyndburn and Blackburn AA), I noticed from Google Earth that the water no longer exists and I would be interested in the history of it's demise (or origins)?

Regards

Sox

Retlaw 26-12-2008 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 663244)
In the 80s we used to fish Warmden Reservoir (let out to Hyndburn and Blackburn AA), I noticed from Google Earth that the water no longer exists and I would be interested in the history of it's demise (or origins)?

Regards

Sox

It was drained off when Broad Oak Print Works declined and then closed. It was no longer needed.

Retlaw.

Sox 26-12-2008 23:13

Cheers,

I also seem to remember at the time talk of a leak in the valve arrangements of the reservoir and the expense of repairs being too prohibitive.

Do you know when the reservoir was built?

Sox

Retlaw 27-12-2008 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 663248)
Cheers,

I also seem to remember at the time talk of a leak in the valve arrangements of the reservoir and the expense of repairs being too prohibitive.

Do you know when the reservoir was built?

Sox

No, but it is shown on the 1846 ordnance survey, the run off goes down to Broad Oak Print Works.
The 1828 Survey just shows 10 acres to roads and water.
There is a Broad Oak Estate plan dated 1810, I think it in Accy Library.

Retlaw.

Bob Dobson 27-12-2008 17:20

I cannot find my copy, but there is one in the library - a book about the history of Accrington Gas & water Boards. It gives information about acquisition of land/farms for the construction of the reservoirs. If I find my copy, I will have a looksee for you, but this may be later rather than sooner.

Sox 27-12-2008 21:51

Cheers to both.

Sox

WINIFRED 24-03-2012 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchells (Post 528535)

Thanxx

were your ancesters called bickerstaff my dad was born at clough bottom

MargaretR 24-03-2012 20:04

Mitchells started this thread 4 years ago, and isn't a regular poster here, so you may not get a response.