Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 11:42   #1
Junior Member+

Clough Bottom Farm, Accrington

Hiya, whilst researching my family history i discovered my ancestors where originally from clough bottom farm in Accrington.

After researching this for some time i found a farm in Baxenden by the same name, quite close to the college. Does anybody on here know the name and address of the owner or where i could aquire them.

Its a long shot i know but it worth a try.

Thanxx
Mitchells is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-02-2008, 17:09   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Clough Bottom Farm, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchells View Post
Hiya, whilst researching my family history i discovered my ancestors where originally from clough bottom farm in Accrington.

After researching this for some time i found a farm in Baxenden by the same name, quite close to the college. Does anybody on here know the name and address of the owner or where i could aquire them.

Thanxx
I done know where you live Mitchells, if you where local you could look it up in the register of electors at the library, failing that i'm sure some else on here will know where on line you could find out, but i've never looked for these kind of things on line myself
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 18:45   #3
I am Banned

Clough Bottom Farm is not in Baxenden, it is in Accrington
map ref 774-277.
Go up throgh what is now Caligen Foam, till 150 yards past the old Broad Oak Dye house buildings, turn left into farm lane, up the hill for 200 yards and turn right into Cat Hall lane. the farm is at the end of the lane. The owner in the 1980's was called Dick Guy. whether he is still there or not I don't know.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:23   #4
Senior Member+

Clough Bottom Farm, Accrington

Hi, just wondering if you might have had any connection with MITCHELLS RESERVOIR, but ...unfortunately cannot find anything.shame, that would have been good!

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 13:46   #5
Resting In Peace

ELECTORAL ROLL 2007
RICHARD GUY, CLOUGH BOTTOM FARM, BROAD OAK ROAD, ACCRINGTON, LANCASHIRE BB5 2DG
Age guide: 25-29 (?), other occupants DIANE DEVINE
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 15:34   #6
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
ELECTORAL ROLL 2007
RICHARD GUY, CLOUGH BOTTOM FARM, BROAD OAK ROAD, ACCRINGTON, LANCASHIRE BB5 2DG
Age guide: 25-29 (?), other occupants DIANE DEVINE
i know dick and diane, dick is in is 65+ diane is late 40's and they still live there
redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 19:07   #7

cloughbottom farm is owned by richard guy he is my father inlaw can i help you
billymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 23:00   #8
Sox

In the 80s we used to fish Warmden Reservoir (let out to Hyndburn and Blackburn AA), I noticed from Google Earth that the water no longer exists and I would be interested in the history of it's demise (or origins)?

Regards

Sox
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 23:06   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
In the 80s we used to fish Warmden Reservoir (let out to Hyndburn and Blackburn AA), I noticed from Google Earth that the water no longer exists and I would be interested in the history of it's demise (or origins)?

Regards

Sox
It was drained off when Broad Oak Print Works declined and then closed. It was no longer needed.

Retlaw.
Old 26-12-2008, 23:13   #10
Sox

Cheers,

I also seem to remember at the time talk of a leak in the valve arrangements of the reservoir and the expense of repairs being too prohibitive.

Do you know when the reservoir was built?

Sox
Old 27-12-2008, 12:31   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Cheers,

I also seem to remember at the time talk of a leak in the valve arrangements of the reservoir and the expense of repairs being too prohibitive.

Do you know when the reservoir was built?

Sox

No, but it is shown on the 1846 ordnance survey, the run off goes down to Broad Oak Print Works.
The 1828 Survey just shows 10 acres to roads and water.
There is a Broad Oak Estate plan dated 1810, I think it in Accy Library.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 27-12-2008 at 12:33. Reason: addition
Old 27-12-2008, 17:20   #12
Senior Member+

I cannot find my copy, but there is one in the library - a book about the history of Accrington Gas & water Boards. It gives information about acquisition of land/farms for the construction of the reservoirs. If I find my copy, I will have a looksee for you, but this may be later rather than sooner.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 21:51   #13
Sox

Cheers to both.

Sox
Old 24-03-2012, 19:59   #14
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchells View Post

Thanxx
were your ancesters called bickerstaff my dad was born at clough bottom
WINIFRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 20:04   #15
God Member

Mitchells started this thread 4 years ago, and isn't a regular poster here, so you may not get a response.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..