Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Hanna Street School (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/hanna-street-school-42018.html)

magpie 21-08-2008 18:57

Hanna Street School

did any of you go there in the 60's I was there in 1966/7

Caz 21-08-2008 19:01

Re: Hanna Street School

Not at the same time as you, I was there from 58-61 I think. I take it Miss Moss was still headmistress there when you attended? Brilliant teacher.

magpie 21-08-2008 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazzer (Post 621901)
Not at the same time as you, I was there from 58-61 I think. I take it Miss Moss was still headmistress there when you attended? Brilliant teacher.

ah yes I remember her :-)

you don't have any pictures of the school do you?

polly 26-08-2008 10:12

Yes, I went there and I was there at the same time as you. Just trying to work out when I started I think it was 1965, I know I left secondary school in 1976.

When I was at Hannah St Miss Moss was the head and Miss Lightowler was in reception, she left the next year to go to Canada.

I remember vividly the cockroaches in the cloakroom

mrskitty 26-08-2008 13:23

was it a primary school?Jack's dad went there (his older then me by 18 years).

WillowTheWhisp 26-08-2008 15:16

My girls both went there when it was reception class for Springhill.

polly 26-08-2008 19:22

Back in the 60's Hannah St was an Infant school. Most of the pupils then went on to Springhill juniors.

magpie 26-08-2008 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 623152)
Yes, I went there and I was there at the same time as you. Just trying to work out when I started I think it was 1965, I know I left secondary school in 1976.

When I was at Hannah St Miss Moss was the head and Miss Lightowler was in reception, she left the next year to go to Canada.

I remember vividly the cockroaches in the cloakroom

ah yes I remember her now... can't remember the cockroaches: however
we used to live on the factory bottoms so I remember them from there...
my mum used to work in the cafe near to the school...

You don't have any pics do you: I have some on slides from a party I had when I was about five... so working on getting them onto picture format:

polly 26-08-2008 23:47

No, sorry I don't have any pictures, infact I dont remember every having a school group picture taken, but I may have forgotten. I certainly dont remember there being a cafe near the school. I do remember Spring hill car club having premises nearby and of course a couple of corner shops but that is it.

Gordie 12-09-2008 14:28

Hi I was at Hanna Street around 67-68 but cant remember who the teachers were. I do remember the shop on the steep cobbled street leading down to the school and the high fronted stone wall at the entrance.

magpie 12-09-2008 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordie (Post 630303)
Hi I was at Hanna Street around 67-68 but cant remember who the teachers were. I do remember the shop on the steep cobbled street leading down to the school and the high fronted stone wall at the entrance.

That is the shop my mum used to work... it was also a bit of a cafe :-)

Caz 12-09-2008 21:36

Wondering if anyone on Accyweb was at the school when I was. or knows of them. The main names that spring to mind are Bernard Sharp, Anne Cunliffe, Leslie Hodgson? Didn't go on to Springhill, moved and went to St Mary Mag's, then St Andrew's.

Benipete 24-09-2008 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazzer (Post 630512)
Wondering if anyone on Accyweb was at the school when I was. or knows of them. The main names that spring to mind are Bernard Sharp, Anne Cunliffe, Leslie Hodgson? Didn't go on to Springhill, moved and went to St Mary Mag's, then St Andrew's.

I knew all the Sharps when they lived on Hope St.:mosher:I lived round the corner on Ormerod St.:dancedog:

Morecambe Ex Pat 24-09-2008 19:30

I lived on Higher Antley Street and I remember the Sharps - I had the same birthday as David. Is Hannah Street still a school?

cashman 24-09-2008 19:36

bernard sharp is still about as far as i know, Dennis his brother, n old mate died in a accident at work many years ago.

Morecambe Ex Pat 25-09-2008 13:50

David died back in the 70's if I remember my dates correctly.
Here is a nostalgic photo taken around 1995.
http://www.studiosoft.co.uk/forum/hannah.jpg

hedman2003 27-09-2008 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 634657)
David died back in the 70's if I remember my dates correctly.
Here is a nostalgic photo taken around 1995.
http://www.studiosoft.co.uk/forum/hannah.jpg

I remember David (sad to lose somebody so young)and was Christine his twin. I was in the same year as David at Spring Hill

polly 27-09-2008 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedman2003 (Post 635267)
I remember David (sad to lose somebody so young)and was Christine his twin. I was in the same year as David at Spring Hill

Then you must have been in the asmae year as me

hedman2003 27-09-2008 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 635276)
Then you must have been in the asmae year as me

I didn't go to Hannah Street but went to Spring Hill Infants

If you went to the Juniors which classes were you in

polly 27-09-2008 14:50

I was only at Spring Hill juniors for the first 2 years before we moved to Ossy

Miss Poole and Mrs Birtwistles classes

hedman2003 27-09-2008 14:53

same classes as me then I moved to Mr Anson and Mr Warburtons classes

who do you remember from your class

polly 27-09-2008 15:04

That is a difficult question because as I said I moved schools and to be honest I wasn't very happy there.

I remember a boy called Graham who lived on Richmond Hill Street near me but he was in the year below.

A boy called Leslie ?, a girl called Katherine ?, an asian girl from behind Crown St called Nasara? not sure I have that name right. Thin there was a family called pope who lived near us and went to Spring Hill

If I think of anyone else I will post

hedman2003 27-09-2008 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 635317)
That is a difficult question because as I said I moved schools and to be honest I wasn't very happy there.

I remember a boy called Graham who lived on Richmond Hill Street near me but he was in the year below.

A boy called Leslie ?, a girl called Katherine ?, an asian girl from behind Crown St called Nasara? not sure I have that name right. Thin there was a family called pope who lived near us and went to Spring Hill

If I think of anyone else I will post

could be Leslie Wilkinson' he lived at the bottom of Exchange Street, I think there was a Katherine Woods, don't remember the Popes

Other ones from my class Jack Wilson, Stuart Smith, Susan Eland Geoff Cheeseman Lynn Donovan any of those ring bells?

WillowTheWhisp 27-09-2008 15:21

In answer to Morecambe Ex-Pat's question, no it isn't a school any more. It was the reception classes for Springhill School until a few years ago but then a new Springhill School was built in Exchange Street on the opposite side of the road to the old one on what had been 'spare land'. The new school incorporates the Juniors, Infants and Reception. The old Junior School has been demolished. The Infants still stands and is a community centre. Hannah Street still stands but I haven't really noticed what it is. I shall walk past it shortly then report back and tell you.

Morecambe Ex Pat 27-09-2008 15:39

Thanks Willow, I took my wife to see my old Junior school last year on a bit of a nostalgia trip, I was surprised to find someone had stolen it. I know the area has always been dodgy but that was too much. At least the house where I was born is still there but I must get some photos of it before someone steals that as well.

Polly
Do you remember
Heather Bardsley (I fancied her like mad), Ann Smithies, Andrew Aspin (Brainy guy went on to be a doctor), Andrea Thorpe, Gary Lushman (My team for rounders please), Bashir ???? (He may have on ly been there for the last year), David Dowling, Elaine Humphries, Steven Carter (Creepy crawlies and wild life expert who was an expert paper aeroplane maker),

WillowTheWhisp 27-09-2008 15:46

If that old house is anywhere in the project Phoenix area the council will nick it before long.

The old Springhill school was getting quite delapidated and a burden to heat and maintain. In comparison the new building is fantastic. I'm a governor there and must admit we had a few tears the day the old building was closed down. We had a brilliant farewell party for it though.

polly 27-09-2008 16:06

Elain Humpherys live on Brown St not far from me. I think Andrea Thorpe live somewhere near Kingsotne avenue or was she one of the Thorpes who lived on Richmond St? and David Dowling was either in my form at Rhyddings on in the form below?

I have also just remembered Christine Pickup who lived at Spring hill was it Conistone something or other, she was another one I cam across again at Rhydding

polly 27-09-2008 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedman2003 (Post 635326)
could be Leslie Wilkinson' he lived at the bottom of Exchange Street, I think there was a Katherine Woods, don't remember the Popes

Other ones from my class Jack Wilson, Stuart Smith, Susan Eland Geoff Cheeseman Lynn Donovan any of those ring bells?

I think Leslie Wilkinson was at Rhyddings

I remember Susan Elland - whatever happened to her?

WillowTheWhisp 27-09-2008 16:50

Just got back from walking down there and it's now Scaitcliffe Community Centre. If my bluetooth will ever co-operate I'll upload a photo.

Morecambe Ex Pat 27-09-2008 17:03

Is the Phoenix project only round Blackburn Road or does it include the Ormerod Street area?

polly 27-09-2008 17:07

I have just remembered someone else; Michael Woods lived in a house near theSpring Hill Car Club?

He was soooooooooo brave, stood on and killed a cockroach that jumped off my pump bag!
Funnily enough about 10 years later I believe he ended up going out with a friend of mine from Rhyddings who lived in Belthorn

WillowTheWhisp 27-09-2008 17:42

It's just the Blackburn Road area as far as we know - certainly hope they don't come up Willows Lane unless they're going to pay us enough compensation to move to a nice big house overlooking Morecambe Bay! ;)

A lump of Ormerod Street was demolished some years ago though, the bit opposite Hannah Street School.

Morecambe Ex Pat 27-09-2008 21:57

That's ok then - I was born in a house on Higher Antley Street, my Mum could tell you more about it because she witnessed the whole thing.

hedman2003 27-09-2008 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 635380)
I have just remembered someone else; Michael Woods lived in a house near theSpring Hill Car Club?

He was soooooooooo brave, stood on and killed a cockroach that jumped off my pump bag!
Funnily enough about 10 years later I believe he ended up going out with a friend of mine from Rhyddings who lived in Belthorn

yep I remember Michael Woods, Susan Eland is a Headteacher in a school in Yorkshire I think

do you remember Julie Lloyd, Linda Simpson or Jackie Lane?

polly 27-09-2008 23:14

No fraid not!

Benipete 28-09-2008 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 635402)
It's just the Blackburn Road area as far as we know - certainly hope they don't come up Willows Lane unless they're going to pay us enough compensation to move to a nice big house overlooking Morecambe Bay! ;)

A lump of Ormerod Street was demolished some years ago though, the bit opposite Hannah Street School.

I know Hannah St school was severely damaged by fire in 1956/7 but I don't remember them moving it anywhere near Ormerod St:confused::confused:

Caz 28-09-2008 15:00

Maps Result - [1-7] Hannah Street,Accrington, Lancashire, BB5 0, GB

Only a couple of blocks away.

You're not thinking of Ernest St are you?

cashman 28-09-2008 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 635336)
Heather Bardsley (I fancied her like mad), Ann Smithies, Andrew Aspin (Brainy guy went on to be a doctor), Andrea Thorpe, Gary Lushman (My team for rounders please), Bashir ???? (He may have on ly been there for the last year), David Dowling, Elaine Humphries, Steven Carter (Creepy crawlies and wild life expert who was an expert paper aeroplane maker),

if yer David Dowling is a short guy, i worked wi him fer oer 20 years.:)

WillowTheWhisp 28-09-2008 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 635825)
I know Hannah St school was severely damaged by fire in 1956/7 but I don't remember them moving it anywhere near Ormerod St:confused::confused:

The whole block opposite Hannah Street school which runs from Ormerod Street to Fountain Street was demolished and redeveloped. Plus the bit that goes up by Holden Street to Higher Antley. Does that make more sense now? It's the area I have coloured blueish in this map.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...edeveloped.jpg

As you can see it is bordered by Ormerod Street on the bottom and partially by Hannah Street on one side

Benipete 29-09-2008 02:00

That's sorted then -Hannah St is not opposite Ormerod St.

Thought I was right - Lived in the area most of my life.:D

Morecambe Ex Pat 29-09-2008 06:56

Quote:

if yer David Dowling is a short guy, i worked wi him fer oer 20 years
we were all short in them days but he was the smallest of the bunch.
He lived near me in Ossy then.

guy. 28-10-2008 18:30

well. its nice to see that Hanna st is still there. i attended from 1964 till going to Peel park Then onto the great school of life Hollins. the best days of my life.
born on Higher Antley. Dave sharp. and Christine. Mick Woods. and many more were all around. a close friend told me about this web site.. its cool to be able to remember the good all days.

Bryrog 28-10-2008 20:53

Hi I went to Hanna school in the 1940's, but then I'm an old guy

Bryrog 29-10-2008 10:56

Hi I remember the sharps I lived at 40 Hope st and Harry Woods lived at No 14

Bryrog 29-10-2008 11:00

My Grandma used to have the inronmongers shop in Ormerod St, next to Allan Deans Newspaper shop

polly 30-10-2008 17:17

I remember the newsagents ( the one on the left going towards town) It always seemed a bit empty.

Vaguely recall an ironmongers nearby

Benipete 03-11-2008 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 645821)
I remember the newsagents ( the one on the left going towards town) It always seemed a bit empty.

Vaguely recall an ironmongers nearby

I think the Ironmongers was on the corner of Fountain St.

polly 03-11-2008 20:00

Was it not opposit where the barbers was / is?

Bryrog 06-11-2008 11:17

The Iron Mongers was opposite Hope st

Morecambe Ex Pat 06-11-2008 11:54

Ahh the shops of my youth :)
Newsagents was opposite Hope Street.
Small toffe shop on Ormerod Street just down from Hope Street.
Barbers shop Richmond Hill/Holden Street.
Betty Whatmough's grocers Higher Antley/Ormerod Street.
Cake shop (Grahams?) Higer Antley/Hopwood Street.
Chemist Higher Antley/Ormerod Street.
There was an ironmongers on the corner of Ormerod Street and Brown Street. Always had a smell of parrafin about the place.

Bryrog 06-11-2008 15:09

Sorry Morecambe EX Pat but the my grannies ironmongers shop was next down from the newsagents shop and yes it did smelt of paraffin cos I used to have to fill the shop tank before my gran would give me my tea

mrskitty 06-11-2008 15:42

My family are the Duggans and Grigg's on some of the roads you talk about :)

Morecambe Ex Pat 06-11-2008 18:30

Sorry Byrog, I stand corrected (well sat actually but you know what I mean). I asked my Mother who is a font of all knowledge and she confirms what you say. The shop on the corner of Brown/Ormerod was a Barbers and later a wallpaper shop.
She also tells me that Len's cooked meats, later in the Market Hall, started in one of the shops on that block. There was a dress shop of some kind in Ormerod Street, just down from Higher Antley.
I was also reminded of a toffee shop on the corner of Higher Antley and Major Street which had a fabulous penny tray :)

More memories - I wonder if there are any photos of the police box which stood on Ormerod Street/Higher Antley, outside the grocers shop? I remember it coming second one night in a fight with a car.

hedman2003 06-11-2008 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 648007)
Sorry Byrog, I stand corrected (well sat actually but you know what I mean). I asked my Mother who is a font of all knowledge and she confirms what you say. The shop on the corner of Brown/Ormerod was a Barbers and later a wallpaper shop.
She also tells me that Len's cooked meats, later in the Market Hall, started in one of the shops on that block. There was a dress shop of some kind in Ormerod Street, just down from Higher Antley.
I was also reminded of a toffee shop on the corner of Higher Antley and Major Street which had a fabulous penny tray :)

More memories - I wonder if there are any photos of the police box which stood on Ormerod Street/Higher Antley, outside the grocers shop? I remember it coming second one night in a fight with a car.

When was the police box on Ormerod Street removed I have a vague recollection of it being there probably in the mid 60's however I could be mistaken

I went to the Barbers I think on Higher Antley Street as a child but it wasn't on the corner it 4 or 5 properties away from Ormerod Street with a large red leather chair.

In the mid late 70's I sold the newspapers for the first week of Accy holidays as at that time only newsagents were permitted to sell newspapers. it was my first paid employment

how times have changed

Morecambe Ex Pat 07-11-2008 07:47

It was mid 60s, we left in 1967 and it was long gone then.
I can't watch Dr. Who without being reminded of the sinister blue flashing ligh on the corner. My Dad used to tell all kinds of scary tales about what it was used for.
The police put naughty children in there etc. etc.
Times have changed indeed :)

hedman2003 07-11-2008 17:12

the problem I've got is I'm not sure if it's a Dr Who type dream or if I actually saw the box on Ormerod Street. Was it at the juction of Perth Street and ormerod Street (outside were the Chippy is now or was it further down

Morecambe Ex Pat 07-11-2008 19:00

No, The junction of Higher Antley Street and Ormerod St, on the left as you go up. The house on the corner used to be a shop but is now a private house. I went up there last year to show my wife where I was born and the place looks similar but not the same somehow. The garage my Dad built is still there on the back of one of the houses.

stevie96 11-11-2008 08:31

Re: Hannah Street School

i went to hannah st street school 66 onwards teachers Miss Moss Mrs Barns i think she took 1st year and 2nd year infants. i used to live next to the cafe on holden st it was run by george and flo nicoles,if anyone needs info ive got some great memories of the are,feel free to

stevie96 11-11-2008 08:34

the shop on the corner of ormerod st and brown st was run by micheal cavanagh and is wife

magpie 11-11-2008 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie96 (Post 649450)
i went to hannah st street school 66 onwards teachers Miss Moss Mrs Barns i think she took 1st year and 2nd year infants. i used to live next to the cafe on holden st it was run by george and flo nicoles,if anyone needs info ive got some great memories of the are,feel free to

ah I remember Mrs Barns... you would have been there when I was: My mum also used to work at the cafe... do you have any pics of the area or school... Magpie

Caz 11-11-2008 17:48

When I was there, 57ish- it was Miss Moss, Miss Grimshaw, and Miss Anson/Mrs Miller. Remember going to her wedding at Peel st Baptist Church. When I was there, the "Baby class" had what seemed like a huge rocking horse, but looking back it was probably just me that was tiny.

Still treasure a letter from Miss Moss which I got long after I had left, asking how I was doing at my new school. She even came to visit me when I was ill. Can't remember how old she would be back then, and just wondering if she is still around.

stevie96 12-11-2008 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 649669)
ah I remember Mrs Barns... you would have been there when I was: My mum also used to work at the cafe... do you have any pics of the area or school... Magpie

i'm hoping so i know we had quite a few,but for some reason my mum decided to cut them all up to make a coluage:confused: one of them things were you stick aload of pics to make one big pics.anyhow i'll go and dig out what i can:)

stevie96 12-11-2008 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedman2003 (Post 648164)
When was the police box on Ormerod Street removed I have a vague recollection of it being there probably in the mid 60's however I could be mistaken

I went to the Barbers I think on Higher Antley Street as a child but it wasn't on the corner it 4 or 5 properties away from Ormerod Street with a large red leather chair.

In the mid late 70's I sold the newspapers for the first week of Accy holidays as at that time only newsagents were permitted to sell newspapers. it was my first paid employment

how times have changed

i can't remember the police box,but i remember the local bobby his name was george thompson he lived round the corner from me on brown st i recieved a couple of slaps on the legs off him for going on what i remember we called swanie lake and once for walking over the railway bridge across the lake and then got another wack off my mum when george told her what i'd done.the next day i'd see him an all was forgiven wish we had that sort of bobby now:)

magpie 12-11-2008 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie96 (Post 649837)
i'm hoping so i know we had quite a few,but for some reason my mum decided to cut them all up to make a coluage:confused: one of them things were you stick aload of pics to make one big pics.anyhow i'll go and dig out what i can:)

Cheers Stevie... I have a group pic somewhere when I had birthday party will have a look this weekend and pm you a copy ( if you don't laugh at my home made hair cut ) it was the 60's and times were hard... I remember the factory fire... and the cafe had to close for a day or so. I lived on Victoria Street and my dad got me up to watch it ... must have been nothing on TV
cheers magpie

cashman 12-11-2008 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie96 (Post 649856)
i can't remember the police box,but i remember the local bobby his name was george thompson he lived round the corner from me on brown st i recieved a couple of slaps on the legs off him for going on what i remember we called swanie lake and once for walking over the railway bridge across the lake and then got another wack off my mum when george told her what i'd done.the next day i'd see him an all was forgiven wish we had that sort of bobby now:)

ah george thompson!!!! one of the old school, first rate local bobby, remember him n his pushbike well, even though he clipped me lughole, lol have a great story about him, but aint prepared to print it.:D;)

stevie96 13-11-2008 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 650089)
Cheers Stevie... I have a group pic somewhere when I had birthday party will have a look this weekend and pm you a copy ( if you don't laugh at my home made hair cut ) it was the 60's and times were hard... I remember the factory fire... and the cafe had to close for a day or so. I lived on Victoria Street and my dad got me up to watch it ... must have been nothing on TV
cheers magpie

i remember it to we lived next to shop so we were told to leave from what my dad tells me he thinks the fire was 1966

hedman2003 13-11-2008 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie96 (Post 650261)
i remember it to we lived next to shop so we were told to leave from what my dad tells me he thinks the fire was 1966

which fire are we referring to I've looked back over the thread and can't find any reference to a fire

If it was the one and H and B my grandad and dad both worked there and would have thought it was late 60's

stevie96 13-11-2008 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedman2003 (Post 650345)
which fire are we referring to I've looked back over the thread and can't find any reference to a fire

If it was the one and H and B my grandad and dad both worked there and would have thought it was late 60's

yep sorry about that, it was H and B my dad reckons it was 1966 don't remember to much about it ,only i couldn't find my spuds once the fire was out,and come to think about it my tortoise went walkabout that night:bingobang

magpie 13-11-2008 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie96 (Post 650386)
yep sorry about that, it was H and B my dad reckons it was 1966 don't remember to much about it ,only i couldn't find my spuds once the fire was out,and come to think about it my tortoise went walkabout that night:bingobang

hm strange but true I got a tortoise around that time.... I will ask my dad where it came from:

polly 13-11-2008 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie96 (Post 649856)

There was a booby who had a lock up garage next to the Richmond pub. Is that the one you meant? Curious because I always thought he lived on Richmond Rd.

Benipete 13-11-2008 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie96 (Post 649451)
the shop on the corner of ormerod st and brown st was run by micheal cavanagh and is wife

Your absolutely right,Hardware etc downstairs and a joiners work shop upstairs.
He used to make window frames for me.
He also had a large stock of hardboard in a building across the street next to Victoria Glass.:dancedog:.But there was a large hardware shop on the St that ran along the bottom of the top block of Pendle St.lived there for 5 years.:alright: May have been Perth St.

stevie96 14-11-2008 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 621900)
did any of you go there in the 60's I was there in 1966/7

another thing i remember was the fold away library and the play house in mrs barnes class and if im not wrong because it was one of the biggest clases we had assembly in it as well maybe

magpie 14-11-2008 16:02

I remember the play house... and used to love the library: I used to go into the play house for sleep :-) I am trying to remember a little boy there I think his name was
Michael Miles something like that.... Magpie

Caz 15-11-2008 18:12

When I went there, the Wendy house was in the main hall, to the left as you came through the main doors. The book corner was there too. The rocking horses and the rest of the big toys were in the reception class.

The main hall was also where we had the assemblies.

Debbie J 29-11-2008 22:34

I know I went to Hannah street school but I wasn't there long. I remember getting sweets for reading off a teacher who I think was called Mrs Bradbury. We lived in Maiden street at the time. We then moved to Cedar street and I went to Benjamin Hargreaves (St Pauls) followed by Hollins.

Gordie 10-01-2009 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 634478)
bernard sharp is still about as far as i know, Dennis his brother, n old mate died in a accident at work many years ago.

If I remember correctly Dennis got killed in a electrical accident

Benipete 11-01-2009 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordie (Post 668107)
If I remember correctly Dennis got killed in a electrical accident

Indeed he did,a good friend of mine.

carlatacc 02-03-2009 18:41

Re- Hannah St School.
I was there with my brother in 62, I dont think anyone will remember me but at the time we lived at my grans house 115 Higher Antley St, and I was the one that got run over on the corner of Richmond Rd and Omerod St ( my first claim to fame aged 4/5) as it made national news. My dad was in Malta or Germany at the time so it made a good story in the papers "Boy in coma War Office in a dramatic bid to trace Father". Thats when Accy Vic was a brill Hospital, cause they patched me up. anyway nice reading the memories.

Morecambe Ex Pat 02-03-2009 19:01

If I don't remember you, my family would. We lived opposite Whatmough's shop on Higher Antley Street, next door to Harry Foote, that's only a few doors away between 1959 - 68.

What year were you knocked down?
That bang on your head must have been worse than you thought, surely you were knocked down at the end of Richmond Hill Street. Had you been knocked from Richmond Road to Ormerod Street, I don't think you would be here to tell the tale:D

carlatacc 02-03-2009 19:38

Sorry I stand corrected, I was actually thinking about Spring Hill School while I was typing. It was May 62 . You might remember my other brother Ivan Dean, cos there was no one he did nt know? My Grandparents were called Jamieson

steveh 23-03-2009 20:59

Grahams bakers, belonged to my wife's grandparents and was sold in about 1967 following early and suden death of Mr Graham.
Their son (my father-in-law) Malcolm and Jean moved to ossy in 1968 and they have had the Bread Basket on Union Road ever since, still baking the best pies in hyndburn.
Try meat and potato - still same recipe as 1960's. Lovely

steveh 23-03-2009 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedman2003 (Post 650345)

I lived at 4 Brown street directly opposite Platts, I think it was about 1968 ish, we got evacuated to my grandparents eddie thonton on Richmond Hill Street

Lushy 23-04-2009 20:26

Hi some of you might remember me My name is Gary Lushman i was a good friend of michael Woods but lost contact with him when he Joined the raf and i joined the Army never went to Hanna street myself but my brother rory and sister Penny went, i remember all the girls mention Still living in Accrington

Lushy 23-04-2009 20:28

I used to live at 10 Higher Antley St

Lushy 23-04-2009 20:30

I know bernad and david sharpe they had a sister called christine, one of the lads has past away but cant remember which 1 sorry

Lushy 23-04-2009 20:33

Ex Pat this is Gary lushman yep we rounders Champions lol

Lushy 23-04-2009 20:38

yea stevie96 i remember bobby thompson had a few slaps myself round the ear of him would never tell my dad

gdm27 07-05-2009 16:44

Me and my sisters went there back in the late 50's, the Mackey family Gary in person! I remember a very nasty dinner lady who used to force me to eat the rock hard peas for dinner and my sister Carol fighting with her to get off me! I also, to my undying shame, got caught stealing the biscuits AND the pennies out of the tin!!!! Got called in front of the whole school and given a good slapping for that one, never stolen biscuits since mind so it must have done me some good! Outside toilets in winter!!!! Happy days.

AccyLass 07-05-2009 17:58

Was in there this morning for a Mental Health Awareness course :)

Morecambe Ex Pat 09-05-2009 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdm27 (Post 711573)
Outside toilets in winter!!!! Happy days.

I wish I could make a mark, half way up that toilet wall, in the boys yard now!

:D

talentedbutslow 12-01-2011 00:23

I went to Hanna St school in 1950 and subsequently to Spring Hill and then Accrington Grammar .I lived in Marsden st...mum liked the fish and chip shop at the corner of Ormerod and Richmond Hill St.I remember there was a sweet shop next door (Mum also liked Walls ice cream). Mum sent me to the barbers on the corner of Richmond Hill st and Holden St just around the corner from Hanna St school.Just down Ormerod St were quite a few shops.On the left a newsagent, opposite was a sweet shop,think there was a dress shop,but it,s a long time ago,can,t remember.I used to deliver newspapers for a newsagent at the corner of Higher Antley St and Garbett St(best time of the year was Xmas as I went round begging for tips....very successfully).My first job after leaving school a year early was at the first Supermarket in Accrington...Maypole ..which opened up on Broadway. I then went on to join dad at Howard and Bulloughs at Stevenson St and worked there for a few years before migrating to Australia.

JCB 12-01-2011 18:32

If that barber was Bacigalupo , you were the same as me . I used to dread it. Men talking till the cows come home , and he was so slow .

I just wanted to get home for my tea or play out ; anything but the barber .

talentedbutslow 13-01-2011 06:52

Yeah well....you,re right ....he was slow..and he only seemed to know short back and sides....(a style cut ,boy?....what,s that?)

maxthecollie 13-03-2011 10:30

Iron mongers was Kavanaghs

Acky252 19-01-2012 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 635380)

Hi Michael Wood ( no s) here thanks for remembering me, trying to remember you but having trouble (old age) I remember alot of the names said in the posts. I lived at 11 Holding st & somebody has nicked that the last time I looked, take care all.:eek: ps the girl in Belthorn was called Linda Perry who was born on the same day as me.

hedman2003 19-01-2012 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acky252 (Post 963516)
Hi Michael Wood ( no s) here thanks for remembering me, trying to remember you but having trouble (old age) I remember alot of the names said in the posts. I lived at 11 Holding st & somebody has nicked that the last time I looked, take care all.:eek: ps the girl in Belthorn was called Linda Perry who was born on the same day as me.

Hi Michael

Did you go to Spring Hill and left in 71

Acky252 19-01-2012 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedman2003 (Post 648164)

how times have changed

I must know you as I worked at the papershop from 73 to 76 ish & I sold them from the shop doorway in the holidays was it Rodney Hulmn who had the shop?? :cool::cool:

Acky252 19-01-2012 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedman2003 (Post 963519)
Hi Michael

Did you go to Spring Hill and left in 71

Thats spot on mate left in 71 to go Hollins, Woodnook first of course.;);)

maxthecollie 20-01-2012 06:12

I went to Hannah Street Infants from 1954 to 1957 so did both my brothers. Miss Moss was the head mistress. My cousin Barbara Wildgoose was in my class with Jim Sharp, and Maurice Davies. I cant remember any more.

maxthecollie 20-01-2012 06:15

I remember filling paper bags with water from the tap in the boys toilet and throwing them over the wall into the girls toilets.