Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Paddock House-old Friends (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/paddock-house-old-friends-4533.html)

gerry 13-06-2004 14:10

Paddock House-old Friends

Hi, I used to go to Paddock House up to 1972. My name is Gerry Killian and we lived in Willows Lane, Fern Gore. We emigrated to Australia in 1972 and I would love to hear from anyone I knew back then. I was 14 when we left,am now 46. Loved to play over in Bullough Park. My brothers and sisters are Theresa, Jimmy, Marie, Moira, Joseph and Frances. I have never been back to England but would love to hear from anyone I used to know. My son is living in Accrington at the moment.

Doug 13-06-2004 15:12

Re: Paddock House-old Friends

Hi Gerry,

My names Malcolm Alan Douglas. I lived on Miller Fold and went to Green Howarth.

I'm 44

Ring any bells... taking in to acount that Willows lane is a long one. Where abouts where you.

Doug

:engsmil:

gerry 13-06-2004 15:45

I think the number was about 209 opposite the park

carole 22-09-2004 16:27

Hi Gerry, I know your sister Theresa. I remember her from St Oswalds. We were best friends for a while but she was moved up a class from J1 to J3 because she was one of the oldest in the class.
Have often wondered how she was.

pendy 23-09-2004 15:17

I was at Paddock, but since I am a lot older than you, neither of us would know the other! I left in 1963, to go to board near Manchester, with Mary Mag's cousin as headmistress. Would you believe that Mary Mag wasn't the toughest member of the family!! I am sure we would know most of the same teachers. Went to a reunion a couple of years ago, in Rishton - not a very big room, and about 350 women who hadn't seen one another for years - the decibel level was about the same as the main runway at Heathrow! Saw Mary Bailey, who looks terrific. I said how young she looked, her answer - I've lived in the same house all my life and never married. Why should I look old! Miss Graham and Miss Nelson were there - Miss Nelson went a bit white when she saw me - old memories die hard. It was great fun, and I'll let you know about the next one, even if you can't get over, you can send a message/photo to your old school friends.

steve 24-09-2004 19:06

Hi i used to go to st oswalds with a Ann Marie Killian could this be your sister..

gerry 18-10-2004 09:13

Theresa and Ann Marie (Marie) are both my sisters. Theresa has been happily married for about 25yrs with one daughter and has a very successful position in government. Marie is also happily married ( about 15yrs I think) with 3 children. She is also successful as a mortgage broker. They will both be very happy that I have had contact with some of their old school friends

West Ender 17-02-2005 22:21

I just picked up on this thread, being new to the website, so I'm reviving it.

I was at Paddock from 1954 to 1959. I remember Mary Magdalene (oh boy, do I remember her) and Miss Graeme who liked me because French was my best subject. I don't remember a Miss Nelson though. Does anyone remember Madame Catlow the music teacher? Does anyone know why on earth she called herself Madame? How about Dotty Whitford (science). I used to meet her on Accrington station around 1960/61 when we were both saying goodbye to our respective spouses (well, mine was my fiancé at the time) who were both in the RAF.

I'm in touch with several old friends from school who I found on FriendsReunited. One of them emailed me a couple of old class photos - eeeeek!

Pendy, are you who I think you are, Angela? We've emailed in the past (courtesy of FriendsReunited).

Gayle 15-07-2005 18:53

I've only just found this thread, so I thought I'd update it a little.

I went to Paddock from 75 - 82, I'm 40 now. Miss Nelson was still there when I was there but she never actually taught me. I don't think I made much of an impression when I was at school and I've always avoided reunions and things like that.

It changed to being Mount Carmel whilst I was there but we carried on to sixth form as Paddock.

flashy 04-04-2007 21:42

i know this thread is a bit old but my mum went to paddock house (i think) she would of started there in 1955/56 her name was Maralynne Mclean, she had an older sister Colleen Mclean who would of been there around 1953/54

maxwell silver 09-04-2007 19:53

I Knew a lass called Meg Kenny who went to paddock house and left about 75/76.Anyone know her whereabouts?

Leyanne 14-06-2007 21:56

Not sure if you are still checking this post Gerry, but I have only just joined the website and found it. I don't know if you would remember me, you would have known me as Lesley Kenyon. We were both in the same class at St Oswalds and at Paddock House and my sister Sandra and Moira were best of friends all through school until you all emigrated- always in trouble together! :)

Nice to see an name from the past.

sm_counsell 25-03-2008 21:13

I started in the Junior school in 1951 then on to Grammar in 1959(approx) I left in1964. I remember Mother Mary Magdelen(terrifying!) Miss Bailey& Miss Iddon (fantastic) Mrs Harrison (so kind) Sister Mary Phillip (a saint!!) and many others. However, I'd like to contact school friends who went through the same ordeal. Where are you all?

sm_counsell 25-03-2008 21:19

Only just found this site, Who are you?? I left Paddock House in 1964. (ex U stream, school netball team, promising atheist at the time!!(Miss Bailey was my favourite, the only one who knew how to teach English!)
Plse contact me if you want- Susan Counsell([email protected])

Quote:

Originally Posted by pendy (Post 85093)
I was at Paddock, but since I am a lot older than you, neither of us would know the other! I left in 1963, to go to board near Manchester, with Mary Mag's cousin as headmistress. Would you believe that Mary Mag wasn't the toughest member of the family!! I am sure we would know most of the same teachers. Went to a reunion a couple of years ago, in Rishton - not a very big room, and about 350 women who hadn't seen one another for years - the decibel level was about the same as the main runway at Heathrow! Saw Mary Bailey, who looks terrific. I said how young she looked, her answer - I've lived in the same house all my life and never married. Why should I look old! Miss Graham and Miss Nelson were there - Miss Nelson went a bit white when she saw me - old memories die hard. It was great fun, and I'll let you know about the next one, even if you can't get over, you can send a message/photo to your old school friends.

Alan Gilmartin 25-03-2008 21:59

Trouble is Susan, not enough of our generation know about the Accyweb. Do friends reunited know about this site, but there again some people are just not interested in the past, or want to forget it, which is a shame, we all have a tale to tell.

sm_counsell 26-03-2008 19:19

Oh what a difficult web Site!

This is my second attempt after almost a year.
All I want is to get in topuch with 'Freiends Reunited (Paddock House School Ossie)
What must I do ??????

panther 26-03-2008 19:25

Re: Oh what a difficult web Site!

have you registered?

is it Paddock House Convent Junior School you are after?

Gayle 26-03-2008 19:35

I went to Paddock House Grammar School.

emzy 26-03-2008 19:44

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ends-4533.html

Try this thread

West Ender 29-03-2008 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 552393)
This is my second attempt after almost a year.
All I want is to get in topuch with 'Freiends Reunited (Paddock House School Ossie)
What must I do ??????

May I suggest you go on to the FriendsReunited website? If that's the site you're after you won't find it here. You will find it using your search engine and it's very easy to register once you're there. There are plenty of old Paddock pupils registered on the site.

motherhubbard 02-04-2008 15:37

I went to Paddock House in about 1964 and left 1969 at the end of the fourth year. All my friends from my junior school St Oswalds went to Holy Family, really wanted to go with them. Looking back Paddock was a great school, the motto I think was Semper Et Ubique Idem. Teachers Miss Bailey Miss Nelson Sisters Mary Katherine, Loyola, George, Philip Mother Mary Magdalene. Miss Rawcliffe, Mrs Kenniford, Mrs Merick,
Walked out of one Latin lesson after it tuned into a real fdisaster with the teacher getting really uptight that we could not translate a piece Mr Sing was the Physics master that loved to throw the board rubber and chalk.
I was in the X class.

jelly baby 03-04-2008 12:18

I also went to St Oswalds and on to Paddock (1967-72), I remember all the teachers you mentioned, also looking through some of the other threads you mention the No 1 stall. I used to meet my friends there and sit around chatting. I guess our paths must have crossed at some time.

sm_counsell 23-04-2008 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 551926)
Only just found this site, Who are you?? I left Paddock House in 1964. (ex U stream, school netball team, promising atheist at the time!!(Miss Bailey was my favourite, the only one who knew how to teach English!)
Plse contact me if you want- Susan Counsell([email protected])

Pendy, Who are you. If you left Paddock in 1963 I should know you.
Could your last name be Pendergast. I seem to remember the name Anne/Angela Pendergast, but not the face.
Stand up and Tell The truth, Who are you?

yvonne.e 13-06-2008 18:56

Okay - I confess! - and just to confuse everyone still further, I am using my cousin Yvonne's laptop and am logged on under her name. I was indeed the notorious Angela Pendergast, now the slightly less notorious Angela Walters. I will PM you with contact details as it would be great to get in touch. Have been out of circulation for a time, but will be back as soon as possible. I do enjoy recalling the old days - obviously a sign of advancing age!

garinda 13-06-2008 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvonne.e (Post 592378)
Okay - I confess! - and just to confuse everyone still further, I am using my cousin Yvonne's laptop and am logged on under her name. I was indeed the notorious Angela Pendergast, now the slightly less notorious Angela Walters. I will PM you with contact details as it would be great to get in touch. Have been out of circulation for a time, but will be back as soon as possible. I do enjoy recalling the old days - obviously a sign of advancing age!

Get back posting Pendy.

You're missed.

I suppose I could have banged on the wall to tell you that.:D

Alan Gilmartin 13-06-2008 23:18

Any relation to Micheal Pendergast, from Clayton?.

BERNADETTE 13-06-2008 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 592510)
Any relation to Micheal Pendergast, from Clayton?.

The same one who lives in Rishton now? If it is what a truly lovely bloke, he and his family are fantastic!!!

cashman 14-06-2008 01:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvonne.e (Post 592378)

as rindy says pendy, yer well missed by me as well.;)

jaysay 14-06-2008 09:30

So thats who Pendy is, still got the house in Ossy Ang

garinda 14-06-2008 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 592611)
So thats who Pendy is, still got the house in Ossy Ang

Sorry for answering on her behalf but yes, they live in London but come up to their house in Ossy at least once a month.

jaysay 14-06-2008 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 592646)
Sorry for answering on her behalf but yes, they live in London but come up to their house in Ossy at least once a month.

Think if I'm right it ain't to far away from you Rindi

megkenny 26-06-2009 03:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxwell silver (Post 408942)
I Knew a lass called Meg Kenny who went to paddock house and left about 75/76.Anyone know her whereabouts?

This is Meg Kenny. I'm in Maryland, USA. Who is this??

shazfury1 15-08-2009 13:26

I went to st marys in ossy and was great friends with a girl called Frances Walmsley? I went on to Holy Family, she went to Paddock House.

sm_counsell 15-08-2009 13:48

I went to Paddock as well but can't remember Fran Walmaley.. What years are we talking about?

shazfury1 16-08-2009 12:10

would have been around 58/59. I think the spelling would have been walmsley?.

sm_counsell 16-08-2009 12:54

Sorry the letter 'S' has worn off my keyboard so I keep making mistakes!Frances was probably older than me because I was in the Juniors at that time.
Sorry can't help

sm_counsell 16-08-2009 12:59

Just seen your pic for the first time and I'm sure I remember you. Are you willing to be a friend and reveal your true identity or do I have to bribe some of the others? to find out who you are.

sm_counsell 16-08-2009 13:00

That last message re pic.was intended for JAYSAY (when will I ever learn how to move about on this site?!!)

annemc 01-09-2009 05:00

I went to Paddock in 1950. My name is Anne McDermott. I remember St. Mary Philip, Sister Mary Anthony,St. Mary Albe (latin) Miss Graham(french) Miss Howe (history) and many others. I loved that school and was sorry when I had to leave in 1954 when my parents moved to Liverpool. I remember a lot of the girls names that I started there with. I came from St Augustines in Burnley. Does anyone remember me!!!

West Ender 01-09-2009 22:09

You left the year I started there, Anne. I remember all the teachers you mentioned, especially Sr Mary Aisleby who used to spit when she got angry, called the latin primer a "primmer" and called Maoris "Marys". Despite her, I got a very good education at Paddock House. ;)

annemc 02-09-2009 17:59

Most probably when you started there, some of the girls in my class would be in the 6th. form. The education was first class and although it was strict rules, which I think some could be applied today, we survived. I initiated the re-union in 2002 but could not attend but then it was made up of younger ones who did not seem to have much time for us older "ladies" Already the different ideas were implemented. I left just as the new school was built o I went to classes in the old wooden building which dring the war was an army hospital. I now live in Texas USA and have been in the States for 46 years.

West Ender 02-09-2009 19:52

I had my first 6 months in the wooden buildings before the new school was finished. They had been a hospital in WW1, not the 2nd war, and the school had opened in the early 1920s. My mother was one of the first pupils to go there.

Yes, discipline was strict but there was never any physical punishment. Some of the nuns could make a girl quake in her socks just by a look. :D

annemc 05-09-2009 15:24

I bet you remember the Pollard girls from Burnley. Sister Mary Anthony was head whilst you were there and she was a real tartar. Supposedly she was a Lady Something or other. I remember the prize giving day every year. We had to put on a Gilbert and Sullivan Opera. The Coronation year was the "Yeomen of the Guard. What is your name? You can e-mail me if you want at [email protected]

West Ender 05-09-2009 18:17

Oh I don't mind giving you my name, I was Cathie Sleddon. Yes, the name Pollard is very familiar, I think there was a Mary Pollard in my form.

Sr Mary Anthony retired as head when I was in form 2 but she still taught the odd lesson. Mother Mary Magdalene took over from her and she was ten times more tyrannical.

Did you know Barbara Noblett and Angela Clegg?

annemc 05-09-2009 19:15

I can't say I remember your name but I do remember Barbara Noblett. Did she have red hair? Also Angela Clegg rings a bell but they may have been younger than I was.. There were at leas 4 Pollard girls who went to Paddock, starting with Joan who emigrated to Australia. Helen who I think died very young and Mary who was 2 years younger than I.
Their brother Anthony was in my class n Burnley. There were 10 kids in the family. You may remember Margaret Rushton and Eileen Clarke. Don't know where they are now.

West Ender 05-09-2009 21:11

Barbara had fair hair and so did Angela. Barbara went to Paddock House Junior School, before the grammar, but I knew her well as she lived near me. I knew Angela because her parents were friends of one of my uncles. I can't think of anyone else we might mutually know. :confused:

jaysay 06-09-2009 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 742596)
Oh I don't mind giving you my name, I was Cathie Sleddon. Yes, the name Pollard is very familiar, I think there was a Mary Pollard in my form.

Sr Mary Anthony retired as head when I was in form 2 but she still taught the odd lesson. Mother Mary Magdalene took over from her and she was ten times more tyrannical.

Did you know Barbara Noblett and Angela Clegg?

Just a slight wonder West Ender, but I occasionally get a letter from a nun that taught at paddock, she became friends with my mother when nuns used to take communion to the sick before lay members started doing it, I wrote to tell her when my father died 5 years ago and she sent me a lovely mass card, she now lives in Rome in the Vatican, been trying to remember her name but it elude me at the moment, I have the name written down somewhere

West Ender 06-09-2009 17:57

Let me know if you find it, Jaysay. I may have known her but most of the ones who taught when I was there are probably dead now.

jaysay 07-09-2009 09:15

Still looking can't for the life in me remember where the Address is

annemc 07-09-2009 13:17

Jaysay, most probably the nuns who were there when I went would have passed on by now as I will be 70 tomorrow. I do remember Sr. MAry Loyola as her sister or neice boarded there from Ireland. We used to feel sorry for them having to live with the nuns all the time. They did keep to themselves.

Gayle 07-09-2009 16:24

I remember Sr Mary Loyola, Sister Mary Gertrude, Sister Mary Magdalen and Sister Margaret Mary - she came whilst I was there and I think she was the last nun to join the school. There were some others still there at the time but I don't think they taught.

jaysay 08-09-2009 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by anne mc (Post 743047)
Jaysay, most probably the nuns who were there when I went would have passed on by now as I will be 70 tomorrow. I do remember Sr. MAry Loyola as her sister or niece boarded there from Ireland. We used to feel sorry for them having to live with the nuns all the time. They did keep to themselves.

The nun was called Sister Mary Gertrude, I can remember meeting her once, she was a lovely serene person, but I think all nuns are like that

West Ender 08-09-2009 22:58

I didn't know her, Jaysay. She was probably after my time.

You shouldn't believe all nuns are serene. A nun in a temper is a sight to behold!

cashman 08-09-2009 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 743263)
The nun was called Sister Mary Gertrude, I can remember meeting her once, she was a lovely serene person, but I think all nuns are like that

they sure aint mate, me mam was brought up in a convent n used to tell me some tales.:eek:

jaysay 09-09-2009 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 743549)
they sure aint mate, me mam was brought up in a convent n used to tell me some tales.:eek:

They were always nice to me cashy:D

sm_counsell 10-09-2009 16:41

Cashman is right, there are some tales to tell.
My mum wasn't a catholic and was I made to pay for it by some of the nuns.
One in particular who taught Latin (can't remember her name) was really awful, she was always getting the class to pray for the "unfortunates" who had a non catholic parent (guess who!!) and if anything bad happened in class, it was always my fault.
D
I know I sound like a whining kid ( Cashman how do you say whining in dialect?) but believe me it left me with a lot of complexes.

West Ender 10-09-2009 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 744122)
Cashman is right, there are some tales to tell.
My mum wasn't a catholic and was I made to pay for it by some of the nuns.
One in particular who taught Latin (can't remember her name) was really awful, she was always getting the class to pray for the "unfortunates" who had a non catholic parent (guess who!!) and if anything bad happened in class, it was always my fault.
D
I know I sound like a whining kid ( Cashman how do you say whining in dialect?) but believe me it left me with a lot of complexes.

Which school were you at? Paddock House, in the 50s, never seemed to mind my atheist father and there were quite a number of children in the Junior School who were not catholics.

sm_counsell 11-09-2009 13:32

I was in the Junior and then Grammar from 1951 to about 1964
But you didn't need to wite 'atheist' on the forms to be filled in when registering new kids
whereas you had to for your religion (My mum was an atheist too! pity she was too honest!)

jelly baby 11-09-2009 21:20

I remember Sister Mary Gertrude (can't remember her subject), also Mary Loyola, who, if memory serves, was the librarian. Mary Phillip (my form tutor) was Geography and pastoral care.

Gayle 11-09-2009 21:23

I think Sister Mary Magdalen was the librarian, wasn't she? She was fairly ancient when I was there.

West Ender 12-09-2009 22:40

Was Sr Mary Magdalene the same person I knew as Mother Mary Magdalene who was head mistress? She was very tall and always looked down her nose at everyone. If she was the same person, I wonder why she was demoted?

I can see Mary Loyola being a librarian as she taught English, Language and Literature, and Mary Philip taught Maths when I was there. What was pastoral care? It didn't exist in my day.

jelly baby 13-09-2009 11:46

Str M Magdalen wasn't demoted, although she was head of the school she wasn't Mother of the convent. She corrected me many times for referring to her as 'Mother', I suppose pastoral care would be called counselling today. If you had any problems at home or school she would offer advice.

Gayle 13-09-2009 11:48

I don't think it was demotion, I just think she retired by the time I got there and Str Mary Gertrude was head mistress.

West Ender 13-09-2009 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelly baby (Post 744838)
Str M Magdalen wasn't demoted, although she was head of the school she wasn't Mother of the convent. She corrected me many times for referring to her as 'Mother', I suppose pastoral care would be called counselling today. If you had any problems at home or school she would offer advice.

I can assure you she was Mother Mary Magdalen up to when I left in 1959, if it's the same person. She was addressed as Mother by the other nuns as well as we pupils.

annemc 15-09-2009 15:42

Whilst I was there Sr. Mary Anthony was in charge. Gd hep anyone who crossed her. Aso Sr. Mary Phillip always seemed to take the First Form and taught Maths and Science. I think she was the one you could go to for any help. Sr. mary Loyola was kinda shy. I think Sr. Mary Albe(latin) was past it. I still very fondly remember my days there and enjoyed school there much more than when I went to Notre Dame in Liverpool. Course according to the Notre Dame girls, I was a country lass.

sm_counsell 16-09-2009 20:29

HELP, I can't remember the motto on our blazers, was it
SEMPRE ET UBIQUE IDEM EST or am I making a big mistake (I was useless at Latin because - this is the truth - !!) I had two awful teachers.(if anyone wants to know who, get in touch!!)

West Ender 16-09-2009 20:51

Semper et Ubique Idem (no Est) - Always and Everywhere the Same.

If you had Sr Mary Aisleby for Latin, like I did, you would learn more on your own than she taught you. She retired when I was in Form 4 (she must have been about 80) and we got a rather weird lay teacher, whose name escapes me, who was very clever but couldn't teach. :rolleyes:

Gayle 16-09-2009 20:52

Not sure it had the EST on the end - but then again, I was rubbish at Latin too.

Can only remember

Mi toe, mi tis, mi tit, mi timus, mi tittis, mi tunt

Probably spelt wrong, and can't remember what it means, but used to make me laugh :D

cashman 16-09-2009 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 745577)
Not sure it had the EST on the end - but then again, I was rubbish at Latin too.

Can only remember

Mi toe, mi tis, mi tit, mi timus, mi tittis, mi tunt

Probably spelt wrong, and can't remember what it means, but used to make me laugh :D

understandable cos thats just cracked me up.:D

jaysay 17-09-2009 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 745609)
understandable cos thats just cracked me up.:D

And me to cashy, come on Gayle bet you know what it really means:D:D

Gayle 17-09-2009 10:16

I've no idea, I can't remember. I'm sure it's something really boring though or else they wouldn't have been teaching it to 12 year old catholic girls.

sm_counsell 17-09-2009 15:09

Gayle I think it was spelt Mitto etc.... and I think it's a verb that means 'To send'
The one that used to make us blush was 'Dico, dicis dicit etc.. etc.... Can't write the third person plural on a forum like this but it ended with the same sound as your 'Mittunt'!!!!!
Do you remember?
I had Mrs. Merrick (120 years old I think and she fell asleep during my very first lesson!! and then the hateful Sister Mary Pascal

Gayle 17-09-2009 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 745730)
Gayle I think it was spelt Mitto etc.... and I think it's a verb that means 'To send'
The one that used to make us blush was 'Dico, dicis dicit etc.. etc.... Can't write the third person plural on a forum like this but it ended with the same sound as your 'Mittunt'!!!!!
Do you remember?
I had Mrs. Merrick (120 years old I think and she fell asleep during my very first lesson!! and then the hateful Sister Mary Pascal

I don't remember Sister Mary Pascall. I can't remember who taught Latin, but I seem to recall it was a man. Not sure though, I think I've tried to block it all out. :D

annemc 19-09-2009 17:37

When did Paddock go co-ed?

Gayle 20-09-2009 07:52

I moved into 3rd year when they merged with Holy Family and boys joined the 1st year. - so that was about 1976. Anyone who had joined it as Paddock House carried on as Paddock House until sixth form but anyone who joined it in 1976 was at Mount Carmel.

I never once felt as though I was at a co-ed school, I was always at Paddock House.

AnneW 26-09-2009 23:27

I think I was in the year above you Gayle - I can remember Sister Mary Loyola, Sister Mary Catherine (1 alpha form tutor!) and Sister Mary Gertrude was the head. I have happy memories of my school days and can still recall the school hymn!!
I didn't do Latin - thank goodness!
Gayle - were you in "The Diary of Ann Frank"???

annemc 30-09-2009 05:04

Which of you was around my age, 70, but a couple of years less? I was wondering if you knew of the Kennedy sisters, Eileen and Margaret. Eileen died at a very young age of 21
They lived in Accrington. Eileen came to my wedding in Liverpool but sadly passed away about a year later..

West Ender 30-09-2009 15:33

I'm 66 so not that much younger than you. I remember a girl who was always ill all through school and could never stand for long or do anything physical. She was a few years older than me and I know she died not long after she left school. Was that her?

annemc 30-09-2009 23:12

Yes, that was Eileen Kennedy. She was very far behind in school because of her illness. Kidney problems, I think. Lovely, sweet girl. Red straight hair. Her sister Margaret would be around your age. She had dark curly hair. I used to go to their house on Entwistle Road.
I even went when I was about 7 months pregnant with my first child, Bernadette. Her mother wrote saying that Eileen was very ill and would I like to see her. Eileen passed away about a week or so before Bernadette was born but they did not tell me till a couple of weeks later. I still have eileen's Mass Card. Another girl that died just after she started First Form was Mary Broadley. She had Kidney problems too. They both went to the Junior School.

Marie Ball 15-05-2010 15:36

My aunt Margaret (Broadley) went to Paddock House. She died in 1981 aged 60 of a heart attack. She had thyroid problems earlier in life. I have met an old girl from Paddock House at Catholic Family History meetings and she has told me a bit about it. I didn't know there were other Broadleys there. I am interested in all the Broadleys and wondered who the parents were of the Mary Broadley who died young? best wishes, Marie

sm_counsell 16-05-2010 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie Ball (Post 815008)
My aunt Margaret (Broadley) went to Paddock House. She died in 1981 aged 60 of a heart attack. She had thyroid problems earlier in life. I have met an old girl from Paddock House at Catholic Family History meetings and she has told me a bit about it. I didn't know there were other Broadleys there. I am interested in all the Broadleys and wondered who the parents were of the Mary Broadley who died young? best wishes, Marie

I can remember a girl called Anne Broadley at Paddock. She used to play defence in the school netball team. A very attractive tall girl and I think she lived in Accy. She would be about 63/4 now, but I have no other info. Sorry.

Gayle 16-05-2010 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnneW (Post 748240)
I think I was in the year above you Gayle - I can remember Sister Mary Loyola, Sister Mary Catherine (1 alpha form tutor!) and Sister Mary Gertrude was the head. I have happy memories of my school days and can still recall the school hymn!!

Only just seen this, sorry.

Yes, i was in Diary of Ann Frank - I played Miep Gies.

Alan Gilmartin 17-05-2010 06:24

Susan, I went to Park Hill convent primary school with Ann Broadley, I think I have a group photo somewhere, yes she was a pretty girl. I think she lived in Padiham or Burnley. Other girls who went from Park Hill to Paddock were Ann Woods, stella Douglas, ann pemberton, Sara Pickles, a lot of Ann's then wernt there, and a girl called Cooper, cant remember her first name.

sm_counsell 31-05-2010 08:27

Only just see this Alan.
I knew Stella Douglas quite well, We were both 'shooters' in the school netball team, but I've no ideas what happened to her.
The other names you mentioned are unknown to me.
Thks for interest anyway

Alan Gilmartin 01-06-2010 06:31

Im sure you would have known Elizabeth & Ann Gilbraith and Judith Pilling,

sm_counsell 01-06-2010 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 819404)
Im sure you would have known Elizabeth & Ann Gilbraith and Judith Pilling,

Yes I did, and if I'm not mistaken, they were in Paddock House junior school with me.
What ever happened to them?
I've a class photo somewhere, so I'll dig it out and send on

JCB 08-06-2010 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 815147)
I can remember a girl called Anne Broadley at Paddock. She used to play defence in the school netball team. A very attractive tall girl and I think she lived in Accy. She would be about 63/4 now, but I have no other info. Sorry.

Yes , she transferred to Paddock House from Holy Family.Because she did well at Holy Family , and it was the practice at the time to allow a few to transfer , she made the move.
She was not allowed to stay at Paddock House.She got a Saturday job at , I think , Woolworths.Her parents were told that this was not permissable and that if she kept the job she would have to leave Paddock.Her parents did not agree with the school , so Anne was expelled.
She then went to the College of Further Education.
She has three grown-up children and now lives near Knott End.Sadly her husband died aged 63 about a year ago.

JCB 08-06-2010 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie Ball (Post 815008)

Your Aunt Margaret was no relation to Anne Broadley.
Anne lived on East Crescent , Laneside , Accy.
Her father , Wilf , spent all of his working life at Broad Oak.
Her mother , Marie , suffered badly from arthritis , especially in her later years when she became housebound.
They were both active members of St. Joseph's church , Wilf being one of the parishioners who built the church under the direction of the Rev. Joseph Stack.

JCB 08-06-2010 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnneW (Post 748240)

Sister Mary Loyola was one of the Walsh family who lived in Primrose St. Accy.
Her father worked at Howard and Bulloughs. He was one of nature's gentlemen.
Of his children two became priests , members of the Society of Jesus , and three became nuns , two Sisters of Mercy and one a Cross and Passion Sister.

ncc 1701 14-07-2010 12:21

I went to Paddock from 1967-1974 and remember Sr Mary Gertrude, Sr Mary Loyola, Sr Mary Catherine and Mother Mary Magdalene. I would like to get in touch with Judith Redman from Edenfield. I think her married name was Hocken. We lost touch when I emigrated to Canada and she went to live in Germany. Does anybody know where she is now?
Thanks!

jelly baby 14-07-2010 17:37

I know Judith Redman, she was in the same class as Chris Plachta, Maria Stephens, Ann Anderson et al, (alphas) Were you an alpha? I was in same year but an 'x'. I still see Chris and Maria often, I will ask them if they know where Judith might be and let you know.

ncc 1701 15-07-2010 04:45

Yes - I remember them all. I was an Alpha. My maiden name was Walsh. I think I was a little weird then.....I'm OK now though! Have been a nurse for 26 years and love it.

The last I heard, Judith was living in Darmstadt, Germany. She had a daughter about the same time I had my son. Would appreciate any help in getting in touch with her. Thanks.

flanagan 29-07-2010 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 62599)
Hi, I used to go to Paddock House up to 1972. My name is Gerry Killian and we lived in Willows Lane, Fern Gore. We emigrated to Australia in 1972 and I would love to hear from anyone I knew back then. I was 14 when we left,am now 46. Loved to play over in Bullough Park. My brothers and sisters are Theresa, Jimmy, Marie, Moira, Joseph and Frances. I have never been back to England but would love to hear from anyone I used to know. My son is living in Accrington at the moment.

Hi Gerry, I'm Bernie Flanagan and I migrated to Australia the same year you did. I was in the same class as your cousin Anne Brankin.

flanagan 29-07-2010 06:54

I would like to hear from anyone I went to school with. I went to the junior school until 1965 when we first migrated to Australia and then returned in 1967. I then went on to the grammar school until 1972 when we migrated again.

Kathy Clare 15-04-2011 22:07

I'm getting lost in this site but here goes anyway...I was at Paddock House from '58 to '63 and my sister was also there, but 2 years behind me. We were both in the U form. Mother Mary Magdalene was principal. Our surname was Rudzik, does anyone remember us?

sm_counsell 16-04-2011 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy Clare (Post 898846)
I'm getting lost in this site but here goes anyway...I was at Paddock House from '58 to '63 and my sister was also there, but 2 years behind me. We were both in the U form. Mother Mary Magdalene was principal. Our surname was Rudzik, does anyone remember us?

Hi, I was at Paddock from 1952 until 1964 and in the grammar school I was also in the U stream with the dreaded Mother Mary Mag as headmistress.
Sorry but your name doesn't ring a bell.
The only foreign sounding name I remember was 'Botta '( 2 sisters- Emoke and Pearl ). They were both excellent musicians and I think they came from Hungary
More info might stimulate my ageing brain cells!!
Susan Counsell

Kathy Clare 20-04-2011 21:38

Thanks anyway Susan, it was long ago wasn't it? Here are some names from girls in my Form: Bridget Broughal, Marie Demaine, Maureen Lawrence, Hilary Gaynor. Ring any bells? I was probably one form ahead of you and my sister Patricia was one behind. She remembers Angela Prendergast quite well.

cashman 20-04-2011 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy Clare (Post 899837)
Thanks anyway Susan, it was long ago wasn't it? Here are some names from girls in my Form: Bridget Broughal, Marie Demaine, Maureen Lawrence, Hilary Gaynor. Ring any bells? I was probably one form ahead of you and my sister Patricia was one behind. She remembers Angela Prendergast quite well.

Angelas a member on here,aint been on fer a couple of years though sadly.

Alan Gilmartin 21-04-2011 06:32

Is Angela any relation to David Prendergast.

sm_counsell 21-04-2011 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy Clare (Post 899837)

I remember them all. You're right, I was a year behind and in the same class as Bridget Broughal's sister Pat. I played in the school netball team with Bridget and a girl called Margaret Pickup. I can remember Bridget and Margaret because they both got about 11 gce's and then 6 a levels !!! Unbelievable, and they still had time to go up Accy Jazz club!!