Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 18:55   #1
Junior Member+

4th generation from original Oswaldtwistle resident

Hi Everyone,
I am the great great grandaughter from the Thompson family that lived in Oswaldtwistle and worked at the cotton mill around the 1880's. With the help of Ancestry.com, and finding you on the internet, I have been able to put pieces together and discover wonderful and sad things about my family when they lived there. Thanks so much to all of you who posted pictures and information about Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church. My great grandfather married his first wife in this church, only to lose her to tuberculosis three years later. They probably had the funeral services there too. He immigrated to America shortly thereafter. Do any of you know where people that worshipped at this church were buried? I'm making a very long trip to Oswaldtwistle from Texas, USA soon and hope to visit some of the family's heritage sites - the mill, see the homes where they lived, and it would be nice to locate the cemetery and see their gravesites after so many years. Again, it's a pleasure to be able to talk with you and learn about Accrington and Oswaldtwistle from your posts. Thanks very much! With kind regards, Maggie Q
accypete likes this.
Maggie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2010, 19:15   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: 4th generation from original Oswaldtwistle resident

Evenin' Mags, no doubt the rest of the crew will be along presently to welcome you aboard !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 19:29   #3
God Member

A lot of the mills are long gone, do you know which mill they worked at?
Can you provide some street names, again, a lot of them might have gone now.
The 2 biggest graveyards are up Dill hall lane and one up Burnley Rd

This site might be of help in searching the Dill Hall Lane cemetary
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk/shop/cds/index.htm

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 04-11-2010 at 19:32.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 19:37   #4
JCB

Maggie , I think that you will find that most ex-Sacred Heart parishioners were buried in the Catholic plot in Accrington cemetery .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 20:32   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Welcome mags, JCB is correct most buried up Burnley Rd from yon.
Old 04-11-2010, 21:14   #6
Junior Member+

Thanks so much for your help and info! I think my family worked at the Oswaldtwistle Cotton Mill (now the Ozzy Mills?). It was within walking distance from their homes.
I'm hoping the museum there will give me more information about it. They brought their weaving skills to America and worked in Philadelphia and New Jersey. I'm looking forward to just walking the same streets, seeing some of the same sights, etc. I've been wondering where my family came from in England all my life and have only recently found out where - and found English cousins too!
Old 04-11-2010, 21:29   #7
God Member

Welcome

There was far more than one cotton mill in Oswaldtwistle.
My dad worked in at least 3 of them in his time, including the one you mention, which is now a sales outlet for small traders.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 21:34   #8
Junior Member+

Hmmm. Thanks Margaret! I didn't know there were more than one. I'll have to research and dig for more info. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-11-2010, 21:45   #9

Welcome
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 21:51   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Q View Post
Hmmm. Thanks Margaret! I didn't know there were more than one. I'll have to research and dig for more info. Thanks for the tip!
I have found this page for you - there were ten
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/wiki/Co...gton_.28p47.29

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 22:06   #11
Senior Member+

Hello. I have a few copies of a wonderful book called INDUSTRIAL HERITAGE - a guide to the industrial archaeology of Church and Oswaldtwistle, by MIKE ROTHWELL. Hopefully when you come over, a few of the Accywebbers may have a "meet" and give you a "reet good" Lancashire welcome. I will let you have a copy of this book with pleasure when you are over here. I am sure it will contain much information for you and your research.
Think there may be a Lancashire night, at the end of November, hosted by our very own Bob Dobson at The Peel Park Pub in Accrington. That would be interesting for you to attend. Will find out more for you.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 23:22   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Welcome

There was far more than one cotton mill in Oswaldtwistle.
My dad worked in at least 3 of them in his time, including the one you mention, which is now a sales outlet for small traders.
When I used to do my little talks to customers at Hilden (Moscow Mill) .. the one you think it may be Maggie ... the script was 18 mills once in Ossy.. now only one.

Have a book somewhere that celebrated the centenery of this mill around approx. early 80's with the history and lots of pictures. ... will have a search. The group was known as Enfield.

I feel though that if you are visiting Oswaldtwistle Mills that Peter Hargreaves would be delighted to chat to you about this.

If you know the approximate date of burial (records are of burial, not death) and name of your ancestors ... then a visit to the office in Accrington Cemetery will soon reveal whether your ancestors are buried there ... they are extremely helpful.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 23:33   #13
God Member

Hiya welcome to accyweb:
Old 05-11-2010, 00:34   #14
Junior Member+

Thanks again all for such a welcome and information sharing. You've given me tons to explore and I appreciate the offers! I'd love to go to Mike Rothwell's talk at the Peel Park Pub but won't be in England at that time. You are lovely people!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:13   #15

Hi Maggie....welcome to Accyweb, hope you are successful in your quest, am sure you will get lots more help from the members on here

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..