Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 15:56   #1
Junior Member+

Ackrill family

Hello, I am researching my family tree and looking for any info on the Ackrill family. My gt aunt Margaret Jackson married Daniel Ackrill in the 1880s. They had children including William, who served with the Accrington Pals and Frederick who also served in WW1. I cant seem to find anything on them much after that and thought I would try here to see if there are any descendents in the area. Other names I am researching are Mackrell, Jackson, in particular Russell William and George Peter, Stubbins. I have got quite a lot of info on the Stubbins if anyone is interested in this family, but would be very grateful to receive more. Many thanks
trayjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2008, 17:12   #2
I am Banned

Re: Ackrill family

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayjo View Post
Hello, I am researching my family tree and looking for any info on the Ackrill family. My gt aunt Margaret Jackson married Daniel Ackrill in the 1880s. They had children including William, who served with the Accrington Pals and Frederick who also served in WW1. I cant seem to find anything on them much after that and thought I would try here to see if there are any descendents in the area. Other names I am researching are Mackrell, Jackson, in particular Russell William and George Peter, Stubbins. I have got quite a lot of info on the Stubbins if anyone is interested in this family, but would be very grateful to receive more. Many thanks
Fred Ackrill. Pte. 11th E.L. w 01-07-16, lived in Burnley Rd.
I have his B 2505.
Wm. Ackrill. Pte. 12th K.L. lived in Bold St.
R.W. Jackson. Pte. 11th E.L. w 01-07-16. lived on Richmond Hill St.
G.P. Stubbins. 11th E.L. 11th E.L. C. coy lived in Park Lane Ossy.

There are 4 Mackrell's/Macriel/Macreel, in Greater Acc in 1914/18.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 17:16   #3
Junior Member+

Thankyou very much for the information. Could you please tell me what his B2505 is ?
Old 04-11-2008, 17:27   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Thankyou very much for the information. Could you please tell me what his B2505 is ?
Short Service Attestation Papers.
Some attestation Papers were B 2512 or B 2065.
They are in the burnt & unburnt records at Kew Public Record Office.
Retlaw.
Old 04-11-2008, 17:32   #5
Junior Member+

Many thanks again. Do these papers include anything else extra to what is already on the Accrington Pals website?
Old 04-11-2008, 18:05   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Many thanks again. Do these papers include anything else extra to what is already on the Accrington Pals website?
Yes complete military details, next of kin, age, height, weight, etc etc.

I have far more information on the Accrington pals than appears on that website, without the multitude of errors.
Over 4126 men at one time or another served in the 11th Battalion East Lancs.
William Turner and myself spent 100 of hours searching the records at Kew and other record offices.
I also have the information on over 14000, men from Greater Accrington in WW1.
There are over 168 names missing from War Memorials in Hyndburn, that the owner of that website does'nt even know about.

If the information was printed out, it would take near 900 A4 pages both sides. I also have pictures of over 2800 of them.

Retlaw.
Old 04-11-2008, 18:16   #7
Junior Member+

I think the work you have done is absolutely fantastic. Without people such as yourself, the Pals would have been allowed to be forgotten. I went to school in the 60s and 70s in Accrington and was taught nothing of them, so its good that someone is taking care to preserve their memory and give them the recognition they deserve. Thankyou very much for your research. You mentioned the details you have and photos, is there anywhere we could get copies of them for the soldiers I mentioned earlier. I would like very much to be able to take a look at them.
Old 04-11-2008, 18:47   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
I think the work you have done is absolutely fantastic. Without people such as yourself, the Pals would have been allowed to be forgotten. I went to school in the 60s and 70s in Accrington and was taught nothing of them, so its good that someone is taking care to preserve their memory and give them the recognition they deserve. Thankyou very much for your research. You mentioned the details you have and photos, is there anywhere we could get copies of them for the soldiers I mentioned earlier. I would like very much to be able to take a look at them.
The only place these pictures exist is in my computer, there will be a display for one week from Nov 11th at Haworth Art Gallery. After that the exhibition will be shredded.
Photography inside the Art Gallery is not allowed.
No way will these pictures be published in case they finish up on a certain website.

W. Turner and I didn't do all this work, for other people to take advantage of. I will destroy the lot first.

All the written information is in an old DOS 6 program and it cannot be read by todays word processors. Try to look at it in any windozzzze program and its gibberish.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 04-11-2008 at 18:51.
Old 04-11-2008, 20:54   #9
Junior Member+

Hello again
I am so disappointed that I will not be able to see the exhibition as I am away for a week from the 10th.
Old 04-11-2008, 21:45   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Hello again
I am so disappointed that I will not be able to see the exhibition as I am away for a week from the 10th.
I put them up last monday along the corridor to the Tiffany collection, whether the curator has covered them up until the 11th Nov, I don't know. The Greater Accrington Heroes are along one & 1/2 walls, the Accrington Pals are at the end of the corridor. 2756 head and shoulders in all.

Retlaw.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:47   #11
Full Member+

Retlaw
It seems such a shame that all your research is not available to the general public. You clearly have your reasons for not wanting that website to get hold of your material but anyone in the future who needs the information you have will have to do the extensive research work again.

With regard to the old info, created in DOS6, do you know what format it was created in and on what machine?

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:30   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Retlaw
It seems such a shame that all your research is not available to the general public. You clearly have your reasons for not wanting that website to get hold of your material but anyone in the future who needs the information you have will have to do the extensive research work again.

With regard to the old info, created in DOS6, do you know what format it was created in and on what machine?
Give me a good reason as to why I should spend all this time and money, just to make it available to the general public, I've met many of those general public over the years, and some are too bone idle to do their own research, they think they have a God given right to other peoples work, some without a thank you or acknowledgement. Children at school are now using the internet to do their school work, and just printing out what they find, thinking thats research, its NOT.

As to people having to do the research all over again, I doubt they could, not all my original sources of information are still available, you would be surprised how much has been lost, thrown away or stolen in the past 20 years. The Christ Church 1918 roll of Honour vanished during refurbishment, Ive made them another. Woodnook Baptists bronze memorial was stolen, again during refurbishment. Quite a number of old churches in Accrington no longer exist, some are now mosques, others demolished, such as the Sacred Heart on Blackburn Rd, the panels that were removed, are not the originals, the originals were carved mable and weighed some two tons.

To people doing family reseach, all they need to do is contact Accy Library, or the Haworth Art Gallery, they in turn will contact me.

As to the info in DOS 6 of course I know the format, I'm using it every day. The machine has been rebuilt many times over the years, the original hard drive was 40 meg, I was told I would never fill it, Ha, the hard drive in the rebuild I'm using now has its own separate DOS partition, DOS 6 will only operate in a 2 gig partition.

That computer has never been connected to the internet and never will be, it cannot be infected by virus's or hacked.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-11-2008 at 11:37.
Old 05-11-2008, 16:19   #13
Full Member+

Sorry I asked.

Re DOS6, I misunderstood, I thought you could not access it.
Data can always be migrated to a different format and it would be quite easy to export it as a csv file.

My post was an offer of help - sorry to trouble you.

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Old 05-11-2008, 16:50   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Sorry I asked.

Re DOS6, I misunderstood, I thought you could not access it.
Data can always be migrated to a different format and it would be quite easy to export it as a csv file.

My post was an offer of help - sorry to trouble you.
No need to apologise, I understand what you mean about migrating files, but the two main programs I use are WordStar & Dbase, both use the same key strokes & macros, files can be crossed from one to the other, without loss of format. Bill Gates tried to buy out these progs, way back before he came up with win95, they wouldn't sell, he then made sure that in any future versions of windozzzze, they would'nt work.

I've tried one or two of my files exported as .rtf, but widozzzzze just trashes every thing up, all my dot commands, fonts line height etc is trashed. Dbase is far superior to access or ecel for what I do.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-11-2008 at 16:52. Reason: spelling
Old 05-11-2008, 19:10   #15
Full Member+

You've started something now
I migrated some DBase files to a Microsoft system many years ago using Foxpro for Dos but I have been looking through my old notes for more information. I don't remember the files we migrated having any text formatting in them at all. The .dbf table layouts were totally different but it was possible to do a straight import. The problem areas were memo fields but they migrated with a little bit of persuasion.

It looks like the programs you use work like word processors and store the data in a DBF memo field.

Is there an option to export as csv?
You would lose the formatting but keep the data.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..