Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By pifco
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By landhusweg
  • 1 Post By EMargaret

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2021, 09:54   #1
Senior Member+

Derek & Kenneth Sibbering

In my capacity as membership secretary for Accrington Grammar School Old Boys,I am trying to find Derek Sibbering, now 79yrs, who attended the school between 1953 and 1958. He worked in the travel industry and when last heard of lived in London. He had a brother Kenneth. Can you help me find either of these lads ?
Wanting to find them comes as a result of learning of the death last July in Southport of Keith Robinson, aged 78yrs, who was at the Grammar School with me and we both became police cadets in Accrington. Keith and the Sibberings went to St Peter's school and church. Keith lived in Major St near to another AGS boy, Fred Burnett, whose dad was a detective.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2021, 09:18   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Derek & Kenneth Sibbering

I am surprised that there have been no responses to this thread in the last 24hrs. Not that nobody seems to have known the Sibberings, but that nobody has mention Cyril Burnett, who was a huge man, often seen entering pubs and snooker halls in company with his DS, Vic West, who was a small chap. The pair knew all of the town's criminals. When Cyril was promoted into uniform, he was a fish out of water and his talents were wasted. He was succeeded into the CID office by Ken Standring
Old 30-04-2021, 11:00   #3
Full Member+

I don't have any contact details for either Derek or Ken but a year or two ago Derek was in contact with Fred Burnett about a review of a play that Fred was in many years ago when he was in junior section of St. Peter's Dramatic Society, I have Fred's email address if you would like me to pm it to you. I remember the Sibberings well Ken was the patrol leader of the patrol that I was in during my time in St. Peter's scout troop he thenwent in the army and the last time I show him was about 25 years ago when he was living across the street from me at the top of Ormerod Street. Their dad was superintendant of Accrington market if I remember correctly. I remember Fred and his sister, although I can't remember her name, and his mum and dad I knew them but not well they lived in Lindadale Avenue when I knew them.
I was sad to read that Keith had died again I knew him from St. Peter's Church and he was at the Grammer School with my brother I remember his dad who had a little cobblers business in Cotton St. before having to sell up and went working at Mullards in Simonstone.
Bob Dobson likes this.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 14:48   #4
Beacon of light

I knew that I knew the name Sibbering, but could not put a face or a place to the name.
Now that Pifco has mentioned Mr Sibbering the Market Superintendent.....that is where I knew it from.
I have no other information regarding Derek or Kenneth.
I only ever knew Mr Sibbering as MR Sibbering...he was a man who commanded respect.....and I don’t think I ever knew his first name(I was only 16 at the time)
Bob Dobson likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 15:48   #5
Senior Member+

Thanks for your postings. Today I've had a call from David Sibbering who lives in London. His brother Ken lives in Thornton Cleveleys.

Pifco. I will overlook your mis-spelling of 'Grammar' if you will message me your brother's contact details ( and name) so that I can contact him with a view to getting him onto the Old Boys' register
Old 01-05-2021, 08:14   #6

Hi Bob,
Sorry but I don't know anything about the Sibberings, but thanks for the info. about Cyril Burnett, who I remember as a kid on Belfield Rd. He would often walk along Nuttall St. in his darkish shiny raincoat and of course with his bowler hat.
Later as a teenager I also remember when there was any trouble going on at Joe Mortimers it was always Cyril who was called to "sort" it out.
Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Late Belfield Rd.
Bob Dobson likes this.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:57   #7
Junior Member+

Hi Bob, I have just come across this thread. I knew the Sibberings in the 60s and 70s. My mother was best friends with their mother Renee who was married to the market superintendent. She used to go and stay with Derek in London when he lived with Kenneth Kendall the newsreader, but they broke up years ago.
Bob Dobson likes this.
EMargaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:33   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I am surprised that there have been no responses to this thread in the last 24hrs. Not that nobody seems to have known the Sibberings, but that nobody has mention Cyril Burnett, who was a huge man, often seen entering pubs and snooker halls in company with his DS, Vic West, who was a small chap. The pair knew all of the town's criminals. When Cyril was promoted into uniform, he was a fish out of water and his talents were wasted. He was succeeded into the CID office by Ken Standring
came across standring he wasnt so bad unlike what followed him.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..