Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2010, 00:42   #1

Does anyone remember?

Ernie Pomfret from Rishton. I'm going back over 47 years here so sorry if it's too long ago. He was my grandad and was married to Doris (Walker). She was the sister of Evelyn who was married to Herbert Forest ( A big character in Rishton years ago, loved him ) I have managed to trace my dad's side of the family back to 1700 but am really struggling with my mum's side. Originally they came from Blackburn before they moved to Rishton and my Grandad's sister ( Hilda Pomfret) married Arthur Baron from Blackburn. My uncle Arthur Baron is still living in Blackburn. I hope someone can help because I have come to a stand still on this
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2010, 00:33   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Does anyone remember?

I take it you are looking for your mothers side who came down from Ernie Pomfret and Doris Walker. Their three daughters Marjorie, Dorothy and Maureen all married at St Peter and Paul Rishton but I,m sure you know that. You say your grandad came from Blackburn, unfortunately there were 5 Ernest Pomfrets in Blackburn at the same time, however, I suggest that your Ernest was born in Blackburn west in 1907 and had a sister Hilda born 1909. If you were to obtain his marriage certificate it would confirm his address, his fathers name and occupation and his age. He was married in Blackburn in 1931. When you have this info. the rest should be plain sailing. If you know when he died and how old he was it will help to confirm his birth date. Let me know when you have the info if you would like some help. Good luck, Bryan.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 01:16   #3

Thankyou sooooooo much. I'd got bogged down and didn;t know one Ernest from another. He died in 1964 but am not sure of his wedding year. I will ask for all his background again off my mum tomorrow. I know his mum died just after one of his sisters was born but not sure which one
Thank you once again
Old 17-06-2010, 05:41   #4
Senior Member+

Probably the last one??? Sorry, I couldn,t resist that. Your Enest was 57 when he died in 1964 so he WAS born in 1907.
Old 17-06-2010, 08:25   #5

There is an Ernest in Blackburn born 1907 with siblings
Ruth, Thomas, Percy, James, John & Hilda.
Maybe if you talk to your mum she may remember these names or not which would eliminate this family for you.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 18:56   #6
Senior Member+

I am in touch with an Alan Forrest (72ys) who had a brother we called Ernie at Accribngton Grammar School. That may not have been his correect name. They lived in Gt Harwood. Ernie is dead, but would have been 70 if he were alive today. It is usual to spell this nsurname with a double rr in the middle
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 20:37   #7

Thank you all for your help. I am now on the right Ernest Pomfret. Ruth, Thomas, Percy, James, John and Hilda were his brothers and sisters and my mum says there should have been a Joseph too. His father was called Thomas Pomfret and his mother was called sarah I think.
Herbert Forrest was my uncle, and was married to my grandmas sister
Old 18-06-2010, 00:57   #8
Senior Member+

You just beat me to it Sue. Ruth- born 1892, Thomas born 1893, Percy born 1895,Joseph born 1896, James born 1900, Ernest born 1907, John born 1909, Hilda born 1909, parents Thomas born 1870 and Sarah nee Atherton born 1867, all living at 58 Stephen St Blackburn. Your on your way now.
Old 18-06-2010, 01:35   #9

Wow, Thank you so much. I will print that list off for my mum
Old 18-06-2010, 14:55   #10
Senior Member+

Thomas and Sarah Atherton were married at St Andrews Blackburn in 1890.
Old 19-07-2010, 17:01   #11

I am looking for Jack Wilson,he lived in woodnook years ago.He served his apprentice
at Howard & Bullough in the 40s.He has two brothers the elder one is called Jim.I
think he now lives in Barrow in Furness.His wifes name is Betty.I will be in Accrington
early september and would like to find them.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 20:52   #12
Resting in Peace

These are the two sister who where with Eleanor Pilkington... the young girl who was murdered in Rishton on Bonfire night 1927 ( I think )
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 20:56   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
These are the two sister who where with Eleanor Pilkington... the young girl who was murdered in Rishton on Bonfire night 1927 ( I think )
How does that relate to this thread which has been dormant for two years?
Old 18-07-2012, 21:07   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
How does that relate to this thread which has been dormant for two years?

I was looking on the net for information about .... the said young lady when this thread came up.... is there a rule on here that says there is time limit on threads...
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 21:15   #15
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I was looking on the net for information about .... the said young lady when this thread came up.... is there a rule on here that says there is time limit on threads...
No but I can't see how it relates to any of the other posts on the thread. Which two sisters??

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..