Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2015, 15:52   #1
Junior Member+

Jack Riley (Cricketer)

Hello,

Basically I am trying to find more information on my great uncle. His name was Jack Riley born 1927 in Blackburn/Accrington, raised in Clayton Le Moors. Sibling to Fred and Peggy. He was a cricketer (he is on wikipedia). I would just like to find out about his life and his family, where they went and what happened to them after they left. I believe he has unfortunately died now but it would still be nice to make a connection because family is family. Also knowing more might help to shed some light on the family in general, why things were like they were etc.

Thank you for your time.

Krissy

PS would love pics
Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-12-2015, 19:04   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Jack Riley (Cricketer)

Wikipedia tells that Jack died in 2008. It is possible that there was an obituary in the Observer for him - the library will have this . The secretary of Enfield CC may be able to help too and may put out an appeal t0 members for information. Likewise the county he played for. He may have been mentioned in Wisden or one of the cricket magazines shortly after his death. It is highly likely that Enfield will have some photos.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:33   #3
Senior Member+

A pic and some details of his games here - Church & Oswaldtwistle Cricket Club - Lancashire Cricket League
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:02   #4

He had a daughter, Sharon (I think). Was in the same class as me at All Saints so would have been born 1956/7. Don't know what happened to her after that.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:51   #5
Senior Member+

He played only once for Worcester. It was against a university, so would have been seen as a 'trial'
I have a phone number for an Enfield committee man which might be useful. I will PM you, Krissy
Old 07-12-2015, 10:46   #6
Junior Member+

Q
Old 07-12-2015, 10:48   #7
Junior Member+

Quick message as my internetdown and running out of phone credit, basically a big thank you to everyone it truely means a lot x
Old 13-12-2015, 19:50   #8
Senior Member+

Jack was accountant at Jack Walker Steel and rose to become CEO. He married Minnie ? They lived at Broughton, Preston. Son worked for Walker Steel too, then in West Indies. Daughter was a textile designer. He was a cricket pro in the Ribblesdale League I will message Krissy my email address
Old 14-12-2015, 02:03   #9
Junior Member+

Minnie was his wife - yes - I forgot my mum told me that too Whoa, became a CEO, that certainly lifts my eyebrows in a state of pleasant shock.
Old 14-12-2015, 02:03   #10
Junior Member+

ps i have sent you my email address
Old 14-12-2015, 11:48   #11
Senior Member+

I have sent Krissy the info I received from an Enfielder I have a book on the Ribblesdale League in my stock, so will look at that. An hour in Accrington Library should reveal some more gen
Old 18-12-2015, 09:36   #12
Senior Member+

More info on Jack Riley sent by email to Krissy
Old 22-04-2016, 15:11   #13

Hi Krissy,
I hope this post finds you. I am the grandaughter of Jack Riley. He had 3 children Philip, Christine and Susan. Unfortunately jack died in may 2008 after a long battle with cancer but Minnie my grandma is still alive. I cannot give you any answers as to why the family lost contact but his children may be able to. Feel free to contact me, always nice to hear about family. Xx
pamriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:43   #14
Junior Member+

I cannot believe it has taken this long to notice I have a message from you Pam, so sorry about that! I will to message you my email privately. I actually stumbled on a picture of Jack the other day in an old Accrington book hence looking again here since on my mind. Otherwise email me : [email protected]

I really can't believe, so pleased and surprised to have reached you
Old 21-07-2016, 09:13   #15
Junior Member+

Just as an update - I have managed to reach Jack's son now so thank you everyone for their input and going out of their way to help me. Took some time and courage on my part to actually make that finally step of saying "hello" but very happy that I had the opportunity to do it at all *smiles*. Thank you.

Pam, if you see this - feel free to still message me

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..