Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 17:05   #1
Junior Member+

Lads at Nori Whalley Road

Is there any one out there who can remember anything about Nori, mid to late 50s, in the days of;-
Jack Starkie, Thurston Smith,Mick Hill, John Buckley, Alf Weaver, Harry Rostron, Geoffrey McAlpine, Tom Lund, Peter Gribbons, to name a few of the 500 +
Lance T.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2010, 20:05   #2
God Member

Re: Lads at Nori Whalley Road

I dont need a memory to recall Nori, I had enough fun drilling into them over the years, sds drills rock!! lol
Old 11-05-2010, 20:48   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Is there any one out there who can remember anything about Nori, mid to late 50s, in the days of;-
Jack Starkie, Thurston Smith,Mick Hill, John Buckley, Alf Weaver, Harry Rostron, Geoffrey McAlpine, Tom Lund, Peter Gribbons, to name a few of the 500 +
Lance T.
Thurston was a model engineer of great skill & patience, most of his work is on display at Ossy Mills.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 20:52   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I dont need a memory to recall Nori, I had enough fun drilling into them over the years, sds drills rock!! lol
Never had any problem drilling Nori.
I regrind the bit as if I was going to drill steel,
then switch the hammer action off.
If you need them regrinding let me know, I have a diamond coated wheel.
Retlaw.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 19:23   #5
God Member

Thanks for that Retlaw, I was more referring to when I was a lad, we had to use starbits and a hammer, then moved on to a standard hammer drill, both of which are not very good with Nori brick, the arrival of sds drills were a dream by comparison.
Old 13-05-2010, 06:33   #6
God Member

My Dad worked at Nori a few times over the years along with Howard and Bulloughs and eventually Ewbank

Ken Entwistle, was born 1921 so would have been in his 30's at teh time you ask about. He lived down Clayton( alexandra street? ) untill ~ 1954 when they bought a house in Spring Hill ( which my mum still lives in). He died in 1997 unfortunately.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 08:10   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
My Dad worked at Nori a few times over the years along with Howard and Bulloughs and eventually Ewbank

Ken Entwistle, was born 1921 so would have been in his 30's at teh time you ask about. He lived down Clayton( alexandra street? ) untill ~ 1954 when they bought a house in Spring Hill ( which my mum still lives in). He died in 1997 unfortunately.
yer dad didn't live belfield rd way prior to his death did he ian? i used to work with a Ken Entwistle n have a few wi him in late 60s, he died around that period.
Old 13-05-2010, 09:48   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Thanks for that Retlaw, I was more referring to when I was a lad, we had to use starbits and a hammer, then moved on to a standard hammer drill, both of which are not very good with Nori brick, the arrival of sds drills were a dream by comparison.
Hell Derek Starbits and a hammer that brings back memories and it still hurts my finger and thumb just to think about it
Old 13-05-2010, 12:33   #9
God Member

No cashy, from 1954 till now the family home is on Elizabeth street.(See mancie, i was brought up in a good old fashioned labour voting working class home! )

He worked at Ewbank till 1977 when he had a brain hemorrhage and was given early retirement ( he was 55/6 at the time ). couldn't find work after that so was given invalidity due to not being able to lift anything, no smell and generally not in good health thereafter.

There was another Ken Entwistle who lived at the same house number 2 streets away and was similar age(and weirdly had a son called Ian!!! ). it was quite amusing when he was done for possesion of drugs as everyone thought it was my dad

Old 13-05-2010, 14:03   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ah cheers ian, lifes full of strange coincidences as the one i knew defo died around that time, i also worked awhile at ewbank (Mid 60s) i think, so me n yer pa musta crossed paths at some time.
Old 17-05-2010, 12:32   #11
God Member

most probably as he knew so many people around town.

My mum used to go into town and when he met someone on broadway she'd leave him there talking to them whilst she went and did the shopping. she'd come back when finished to find him in the same spot talking to someone completely different. He might have gone trhough 5 or 6 different conversations from leaving to returning without so much as moving a couple of feet

Mind you that was back in the day when people weren't in such a rush and would spend time in converstaion. Look around broadway now and its all people rushing around like blue backsided flies. I think the world's a worse place for it too

Old 14-07-2010, 00:54   #12

Not one of the lads Lance, but my friends mum worked there for years in the sixties. I think her first name was Vi, her second name Cunliffe. I always admired her 'cause the work must have been darn hard.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 20:02   #13

Anyone remember Henry Lawless? Marie Ball
Marie Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 19:55   #14
Junior Member+

My grandad worked at Nori all his working life and retired in the late 60s/ early 70s. His name was Fred 'Stonewall' Jackson. He sadly died in 1988, but my dad can still remember lots about the people he worked with.
trayjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..