Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 10:18   #1

Looking for Janet McCarthy ? amongst others.

Just wondering if anyone out there knows the where-abouts of Janet McCarthy she lived on Whalley Road Clayton_le_Moors others I'm interested in are Timothy Smith, Christopher Bracewell, Valerie Pitt, Hilary West, basically it's people who were at All Saints Clayton _le_Moors between 1956 and 1963 would love to hear from any of them or what they are doing now. Others I remember are Peter Lord, David Wolstencroft, Geoffrey Johnson, Robert Sharples, Steven Briggs, Gary Golding, David Waddington, Lesley Tyldesly, Keith Greenwood, Geoffrey Williams, Linda Whelan, Margaret Simpson, Carole Ingham, Linda Chadwick, Margaret Welch, Shirley Barker, Keith Barker, John Nuttall now deceased, Barbara Dawson, Mark Battersby, Linda Barski, I may add others as I remeber them, apologies if I have omitted you! love to hear of any of these reprobates regards in anticipation Old Saintonian.
Old Saintonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2009, 23:14   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Looking for Janet McCarthy ? amongst others.

Bob Sharples was living in Blackpool last i heard, which was 10 yrs ago, he moved yon early 70s, thats fact i bought a load of his furniture. thats if its the same Bob Sharples of coarse.
Old 15-08-2009, 13:21   #3

I used to mate around with a Linda Barski from Clayton in the 60s, haven't heard from her since we both worked at the oxo brook bond factory in great harwood many many years ago
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 11:22   #4

Thanks for your replies. The Robert Sharples I know lives on whalley Road Clayton_le_Moors, but thanks any way appreciate your help. Linda Barski is well I'm led to believe from her brother David who contacted me, but again thanks indeed for your help it's rally appreciated. Take care all I'm still interested thanks again in anticipation. Heather Walker, Lesly Flavell, Hilary West is now Hilary Morgan I believe! David Waddington are some more names, my memory is not what it was.
Old 16-08-2009, 11:29   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

used to know a Kevin Barski from clayton but that was back in mid 60s, aint seen him since, must be a brother or summat? not much help i know. Linda Whelan is me mate Johns brother, David Waddingtons brother Paul is wed to me late wifes sis.

Last edited by cashman; 16-08-2009 at 11:32.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 09:42   #6

Cor! Cashman that's some coincidences there old son, Kevin I know is well and kicking, still as daft as a brush though. May I ask what do the initials at the end of your message mean. Am afraid I'm not computer/text speak literate my dear. Thanks again for your input it is appreciated regards Old Saintonian.
Old 23-08-2009, 10:01   #7
Resting in Peace

I think you will find that Mark Battersby is registered as a member on here under his name. He posted for a while, then disappeared. Could try a p.m., might waken him up again.

Was talking to Steven Briggs's mother in the park few weeks ago ... know he is OK ... but darned if I can remember where he is. Think not living locally, or even in this country, but can't be sure. She still lives on John Street.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 11:17   #8

Thanks very much indeed, for your information. I do believe Steven moved abroad a few years ago when he sold up his snooker/pool business I am led to believe, it's good to know he's well and enjoying life in the sand, sea and sun no doubt, and that his parents are still around. By the way thanks Cashman for your replies most appreciated, as you can no doubt see my computer literacy is of a very poor standard, but I just manage to get by. Re. the Johnsons on Devonshire Drive, I believe they had a son called Harold unfortunately no relation but I do recall him being a bit of a bruiser, if you know what I mean. It's really great of you all to post any memories of All Saints it really does bring back the good old days when responsibilities were not even in the vocabulary, keep any info coming I'll try to respond but as I say my skills on the Beast are limited. Regarsds All Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
Old 30-08-2009, 12:45   #9
God Member

When Mark Battersby joined the forum I pointed out to him that I was a bridesmaid at his mum and dad's wedding.
We exchanged PMs and phone calls, but I didn't keep a record of his number and the PM is long ago delelted - sorry.
I do recall that he is local

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 10:13   #10

Well everyone thanks for your efforts, but it appears the class of '63 is as rare as the dodo, still we can keep looking. I suppose one day out of the blue, something/someone may appear, until then thank you all evry much indeed for your efforts. Best wishes and kind regards to all. Old Saintonian
Old 26-10-2009, 19:55   #11
Senior Member+

I know a David Waddington, if it's the same fella, now lives in Church , near Alleytroyds I think.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:28   #12

Hi again all thanks Linsay for the info on nDavid Waddington could be you know ? Any how here are a few updates and recollections ;-

Well here’s a little synopsis from memory of the class of ‘63
Keith and Shirley Barker :- lived off Devonshire Drive on council estate off Whalley Road, lost contact
Linda Barski :- Used to live on Barnes Street Still living in the area according to her brother David
Mark Battersby :- Lived in Church street near the Methodist church went abroad has now returned to Great Harwood
Christopher Bracewell :- Lived on Dill Hall Lane near Enfield cricket club now living in the Blackburn area practicing accountancy or architecture
Peter Lord :- Lived on Devonshire Drive served time now living in the Blackburn area
Robert Sharples :- Lived on Warwick Avenue, now an engineer living on Whalley Road
Geoffrey Johnson:- Lived on Barnes Street went to A.G.S. joined Lloyds Bank now retired living in Cambridge
Barbara Dawson:- Lived on Rishton Road father Garth Dawson well known local photographer for Accrington Observer for many years and freelance. Barbara is now a G.P. living in Colne
Stephen Briggs :- Lived off Devonshire drive, invested in snooker/pool company sold out and moved to Portugal with his riches
Gary Golding:- Lived on the road next to All Saints, moved to Accrington near the old Grammar Scool lost contact
Keith Greenwood :- Lived on Sparth Avenue no further information
David Waddington :- Lived on Arthur Street lost contact no further information
Lesley Tyldesly :- Lived on George Street recently moved back to Clayton
Lesley Flavell :- Lived at the top of Victoria Street by the canal bridge her father and mother as well as her brother Peter were heavily into the scouts and guides that says it all I believe her brother is moving to Portugal. I believe Lesley now has a sewing shop on Whalley Road Accrington near the railway bridge.
Margaret Simpson ;- very vague here but no recent information
Linda Whelan ;- Lived on Lower Barnes street no further informatiom had a younger brother called Jimmy
Janet McCarthy :- Lived on Whalley Road as we know but has become as scarce as the dodo awaiting further information with ongoing enquiries
Linda Chadwick :- Lived on Sparth Road again no further information
Carole Ingham :- Lived on Devonshire Drive and yet again lost contact
Heather Walker ;- another vague recollection but I think she lived near The Hare and Hounds pub but nothing more to add
Hilary West :- Lived on Queens Road near A.V.H. now Morgan but not answering e-mails may get in contact will keep informed
Hilary Purves :- Lived on Church street near All Saints no further news sorry
Geoffrey Williams :- Lived on Lower Barnes Street again disappeared off the radar
Margaret Welch :- Lived behind Dill Hall Lane no further information
David Wilde :- Lived on Canal Street joined Lloyds Bank worked at Burnley branch for a short while before he left the bank and I have no further information
Timothy Derek Bruce Smith :- Lived on Whalley Road near The Crown pub again joined Lloyds Bank and worked at Burnley branch before leaving I think to join the ministry of defence I do believe he may now be deceased due to a drug related incident
Valerie Pitt :- Lived on Atlas street no further information yet however am trying to contact her younger brother and elder sister that's David and Julie
John Nuttall :- Lived near Stephen Briggs died recently due to cancer
Two other names spring to mind but I’m not totally convinced, Alan Hands lived on Sparth Avenue and Nigel Roe lived in Barnes street moved to Blackpool no further info. On either of them.
Well everyone does that jog any memories thanks again
Old Saintonian
Old 07-11-2009, 09:38   #13

Doesn't seem to be jogging many memory cells, keep trying, a bit like my school report, could do better.
Old 15-11-2009, 11:17   #14

I'll keep rattling those memory cells. Teachers at All Saints Mr. Bradshaw headmaster Mr Vernon. However my favorite was Mr. Kennedy, who left to be replaced by Mr. Vernon. Mr. Kennedy took us everywhere for football. Our home games were played on the top pitch at the woodlands, remember that old cow trough outside the changing shed where we cleaned our boots and ourselves sometimes, happy days what! In later years they acquired land adjacent to the school and made a footy pitch by the side of the vicarage, just above the air raid shelters now that could jog some memory cells. I do know other teachers however lets' have some of your input if you are interested? Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
Old 15-11-2009, 17:20   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Saintonian View Post
I'll keep rattling those memory cells. Teachers at All Saints Mr. Bradshaw headmaster Mr Vernon. However my favorite was Mr. Kennedy, who left to be replaced by Mr. Vernon. Mr. Kennedy took us everywhere for football. Our home games were played on the top pitch at the woodlands, remember that old cow trough outside the changing shed where we cleaned our boots and ourselves sometimes, happy days what! In later years they acquired land adjacent to the school and made a footy pitch by the side of the vicarage, just above the air raid shelters now that could jog some memory cells. I do know other teachers however lets' have some of your input if you are interested? Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
I remember Mr. Bradshaw and Mr. Kennedy and the Misses Pilkington and the top pitch at the Woodlands ... I left in '57.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..