Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2009, 01:50   #1
Junior Member+

Looking for past family members.

I have been doing family research for some time. My family name Scholes. It seems like most started in Accrington and as of around 1910, many could still be there.

I am from Rochdale. Now living in USA but getting back quite often.

Starting with GGrandparents. Caleb and Elizebeth Scholes. around l860 when they married. Traced them up until the now 1911 census in Accrington.
Hope I can find some of the relatives of the Above.

As of now I am showing to be the last remaining Scholes I know.

JeanneP

Jeanne Scholes Pentecost.

Last edited by JeanneP2; 27-04-2009 at 01:53.
JeanneP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2009, 11:06   #2
I am Banned

Re: Looking for past family members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP2 View Post
I have been doing family research for some time. My family name Scholes. It seems like most started in Accrington and as of around 1910, many could still be there.

I am from Rochdale. Now living in USA but getting back quite often.

Starting with GGrandparents. Caleb and Elizebeth Scholes. around l860 when they married. Traced them up until the now 1911 census in Accrington.
Hope I can find some of the relatives of the Above.

As of now I am showing to be the last remaining Scholes I know.

JeanneP

Jeanne Scholes Pentecost.
27 men with the surname Scholes in what was then
Greater Accrington served in WW1, 5 of them did'nt survive the war, so there should be several of your lin still in the area, if not branches of your tree, there could be some twigs.
There are quite a few in the phone book.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 27-04-2009 at 11:09.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 11:33   #3
God Member

Presumably you've seen this website

Scholes Family Website

My husband's grandfather was called Richard Scholes but they came from Blackburn. You never know, you might find some relatives on here.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 14:05   #4
I am Banned

Just been checking the Parish Registers.
The first Scholes in this area are at Altham Parish Church in 1618.
The first entry in Church Kirk was in 1683.

Retlaw
Old 27-04-2009, 17:32   #5
Junior Member+

I think that my family of Scholes resided in Accrington for a long time. Now my Grandfather William Scholes was listed on the 1881 Census with his parents Caleb and Elizabeth. He than married, had 2 children , wife and children show on the 1891 Census still with Caleb and Eliz. Looks like in Feb of 1891 William sailed to New York. traveled to Boston, His wife and 2 Children followed in June 1891. Wife died 1892. he Married a women in l893 in Lowell Mass. USA. (She was from Bacup, Lanc's who had come out to USA December 1891. Yes followed my Grandfather it seems . She brought the 2 children back to Accrington. Gave them to their Grandparents. Found she was pregnant. Had a son and then returned to USA in 1894. Had a daughter in 1896 and they all returned to live in Castleton, Lancashire in 1898. I have all the info now on Family as 7 more children born in Castleton (My father one of them in 1906.).. All remained in Castleton until about 1940.

Yes, I do show that the Eldest boy William Asa born in 1894 was killed in WW1. Buried in Turkey.

NOw I will try finding the other 7 children of Caleb and Eliz. I have found some of the marriages, Also found the the first son of William did die at the age of 16. l906. Shows in the same house as earlier Census. So he does not show on the 1911 Census. My GGrandparents Caleb and Eliz do show as still alive on the 1911 along with a Daughter and son still living at home.
Here is where I stand now. I am sure that I would have some relatives in the area from the other 6 (3 daughters and 3 sons) born to Caleb and Eliz. I do have the marriages of the 2 daughters. The eldest have married late in life but no children. the other daughter having born a son and a daughter. I will post their names on here soon.
This will them show up to around the 1920/30 so maybe some of Great Grandchildren of Caleb and Eliz. still in the Area.

We cannot get into the 1911 Census here in the USA yet. Some of them would show on there I am sure.

Thanks for your reply
Old 28-04-2009, 11:29   #6
Senior Member+

Dont know many Scholes, but there is a bloke called Derek Scholes, who i think might live round Baxenden way, but not sure of this. He ran for Council a few times and is an ex copper.

Best REgards - TAggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 16:02   #7
Junior Member+

Thanks Taggy.

I do not believe that Derek would be a family name. It seems like they stuck with same names Generation to Generation.
Old 28-04-2009, 19:00   #8
God Member

Have you had any luck with the website I posted?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 21:49   #9
Junior Member+

Gayle

Now I have been going into that Scholes Forum every once in awhile for past few years. So far not found anything I can use. Will keep trying.

JeanneP
Old 29-04-2009, 23:32   #10
Junior Member+

I did take advice and spent time today going through the war records for WW1 looking for Scholes's. Found one. So many on there. (Close to 200) from just the North. Just checked the Lancashire ones. Will spend more time
The two sons missing off the 1911 Census would have married and been in their 50s when the war on and so now will need their Sons Name. Would help if I could just get on the 1911 census and find a George Scholes Born 1866 and Arthur Scholes born 1874. Their children would still be living at home on the 1911. That would give me their names.

I will keep slogging through.

JeanneP
Old 29-04-2009, 23:46   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP2 View Post
I did take advice and spent time today going through the war records for WW1 looking for Scholes's. Found one. So many on there. (Close to 200) from just the North. Just checked the Lancashire ones. Will spend more time
The two sons missing off the 1911 Census would have married and been in their 50s when the war on and so now will need their Sons Name. Would help if I could just get on the 1911 census and find a George Scholes Born 1866 and Arthur Scholes born 1874. Their children would still be living at home on the 1911. That would give me their names.

I will keep slogging through.

JeanneP
The free version of Ancestry available through our public libraries is not on line yet. I've been told it may be September before it is available.
I will keep it in mind, I have a few I need to check amongst my soldiers.

Retlaw.
Old 30-04-2009, 10:20   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Dont know many Scholes, but there is a bloke called Derek Scholes, who i think might live round Baxenden way, but not sure of this. He ran for Council a few times and is an ex copper.

Best REgards - TAggy
Lives on Queens Road Taggy was a councillor of Bash for a few years, before moving to Queens Road lived on Aitken Street to doors from my Daughter. Derek was born and bred in Ossy, his Father Len was an Oswaldtwistle UDC councillor for many years
Old 30-04-2009, 16:46   #13
Junior Member+

Now my Library here also have a Archive that will let you into the Free version of Ancestory. Thing is will not get me into the UK part. Can also get into the LDS search. All only up to 1901.

Maybe it will be September before I get over again. Last year I was in the Accrington library but only for a hour. I will try to spend a few days in Accrington. They were very helpful. A person needs to be closer to what they are researching.

Can anyone tell me the the address. 41 Mansion St. Accrington is still standing.

Last Address for the family I have and this was on the 1911 census.

JeanneP
Old 30-04-2009, 16:53   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Lives on Queens Road Taggy was a councillor of Bash for a few years, before moving to Queens Road lived on Aitken Street to doors from my Daughter. Derek was born and bred in Ossy, his Father Len was an Oswaldtwistle UDC councillor for many years

He used to drink in the Boars Head a few moons ago, when he was in the force Jaysay...very handy for giving us the Heads Up if Lock Ins were being targeted!!

Best REgards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 17:03   #15
God Member

Mansion Street is still there so presume 41 will still be

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...title&resnum=1

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..