Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2008, 12:00   #1
Member.

Looking to contact the descendents of Margaret Ann Douglas b. 1903.

I’m looking to trace the descendents of Margaret Ann Douglas born in Accrington on the 8th April 1903. Margaret was the Daughter of William and Harriet Douglas and lived in the areas of Williams St, Pitts St and Stanley St.

Margaret’s had two Brothers; John, known as Jack (who Married and lived around the Fern Gore area) and Thomas (who Married and lived at Canal St, Church).

We had no idea of Margaret’s existence until yesterday when we discovered William’s service records for the Great War. It is likely that Margaret married locally and her descendents are still in the area, if anyone out there is related or if anyone can help with information we will be very grateful.

Doug

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-05-2008, 13:50   #2
I am Banned

Re: Looking to contact the descendents of Margaret Ann Douglas b. 1903.

Hi Doug.
I have a William Douglas in my files, he was Pte. 45676. 22nd Labour Corps, formerly Pte. 70458. Kings Liverpools. Lived at 23a Stanley St Accrington.
There is a note in the file that a grandson contacted me but I forgot to add any more details, it could have been thro Accy Library or thro the Howarth Art Gallery, when I has my pictuures on display.

Retlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I’m looking to trace the descendents of Margaret Ann Douglas born in Accrington on the 8th April 1903. Margaret was the Daughter of William and Harriet Douglas and lived in the areas of Williams St, Pitts St and Stanley St.

Margaret’s had two Brothers; John, known as Jack (who Married and lived around the Fern Gore area) and Thomas (who Married and lived at Canal St, Church).

We had no idea of Margaret’s existence until yesterday when we discovered William’s service records for the Great War. It is likely that Margaret married locally and her descendents are still in the area, if anyone out there is related or if anyone can help with information we will be very grateful.

Doug
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 17:01   #3
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Hi Doug.
I have a William Douglas in my files, he was Pte. 45676. 22nd Labour Corps, formerly Pte. 70458. Kings Liverpools. Lived at 23a Stanley St Accrington.
There is a note in the file that a grandson contacted me but I forgot to add any more details, it could have been thro Accy Library or thro the Howarth Art Gallery, when I has my pictuures on display.

Retlaw
Hello Retlaw,

It was me that contacted you; William Archibald Douglas was my Great Grandfather. Strange as it may seem I thought about you when I was looking at his Services Records that I downloaded from Ancestery.Com yesterday, I know he wasn’t with the East Lancs but I will be happy to e-mail you a set for your records if you like. The records relate to his service with the 22nd Labour Corps, still waiting for the Kings Liverpool to be added to the site.

Thanks for your reply

Doug

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 18:28   #4
I am Banned

Hi Doug.
Which set of records were you searching, there are the burnt and the unburnt records.
The burnt record are the attestation papers, which should list all his service from the day he joined until his discharge.
The other records, if he is in them, relate to any enqiry into his qualification for a pension.

I also have a John Douglas in the records, he was Pte. 39852. L.N.L., lived at 37 Pitt St Accrington.
The fact they are the only two Douglas's in Accrington, makes me wonder if they weren't related in some way.
Most days I am using the library computers lookin for attestation papers, (its free thro the library) so far I have found the records for 79 local men & I'm only up to Ashworth, only another 14000 to go.

Retlaw

Hello Retlaw,

It was me that contacted you; William Archibald Douglas was my Great Grandfather. Strange as it may seem I thought about you when I was looking at his Services Records that I downloaded from Ancestery.Com yesterday, I know he wasn’t with the East Lancs but I will be happy to e-mail you a set for your records if you like. The records relate to his service with the 22nd Labour Corps, still waiting for the Kings Liverpool to be added to the site.

Thanks for your reply

Doug[/quote]
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 19:49   #5
Senior Member+

26 PITT STREET IN 1901

Hi, was your Harriet a "Barnes" ? Its looking like it.
A large family were living at the above address, with a Harriet and "son in law WILLIAM DOUGLAS. if you email me I will give you all details.

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..