Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013, 19:50   #1
I am Banned

Makes me Angry

This really makes me both perplexed and rather angry. You get these people who frequent the various antiques programmes and have a pile of medals of their grandfather or other member of the family and seemingly their only interest in the medals is a monetary sale vale. Often you see them later on the programme auctioning the medals for relatively paltry sums. What can you do with £200 or £500 these days. These medals especially of the Great War are surely worth handing down in the family, a wonderful and heroic memento of one's ancestor. Or is it a sad sign of the times when families are fractured and we all stand as isolated individuals, rootless and at the mercy of a more organised and solid community.
Tesco Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-07-2013, 23:12   #2

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Makes me Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesco Rambler View Post
This really makes me both perplexed and rather angry. You get these people who frequent the various antiques programmes and have a pile of medals of their grandfather or other member of the family and seemingly their only interest in the medals is a monetary sale vale. Often you see them later on the programme auctioning the medals for relatively paltry sums. What can you do with £200 or £500 these days. These medals especially of the Great War are surely worth handing down in the family, a wonderful and heroic memento of one's ancestor. Or is it a sad sign of the times when families are fractured and we all stand as isolated individuals, rootless and at the mercy of a more organised and solid community.
You ever considered that its a choice between metal and food. What can you do with £200-£500 if you owe on your mortgage, if your kids are hungry, if the loan shark is threatening.

I'm not brave enough to have won a medal for valour, but if I had and 50 years from now my great grandchildren were hungry and needed help, selling the medal would be my legacy to them and I would not turn in my grave.
Old 12-07-2013, 23:28   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Makes me Angry

Quote:
I get angry at the thought of tv & Internet in prisons,
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 15:11   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I sent all my fathers medals to the Fusileers museum in Bury, Walter did the honour's at least they'll be looked after and respected
accypete and Greeny like this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 15:50   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I sent all my fathers medals to the Fusileers museum in Bury, Walter did the honour's at least they'll be looked after and respected
I dropped my grandad Ashton's medals down the grate outside his house ... my gran almost killed me for that one ... it hadn't helped that I'd already that day eaten her whole week's cheese ration
accypete likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 19:06   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I get angry at the thought of tv & Internet in prisons,
There is one consolation, the only medal he will ever get will be made from a milk bottle top, stamped Dickhead of the Year.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 21:12   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
There is one consolation, the only medal he will ever get will be made from a milk bottle top, stamped Dickhead of the Year.
So personal abuse is quite acceptable on Accrington Web is it? I call it disgraceful. And what is more, if there are numerous forumites out there who think this kind of thing is OK, I feel really sorry for you all. None of it hurts me but look into your hearts (if you have any) and consider how low your behaviour has sunk.
Old 13-07-2013, 21:21   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
look into your hearts (if you have any) and consider how low your behaviour has sunk.
Absolutely incredible coming from the likes of you.
Old 13-07-2013, 21:23   #9

And blackmailing Tesco isn't disgraceful, Phil?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 21:46   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Absolutely incredible coming from the likes of you.
The issue is here in Accrington Web and how members are interacting with one another. Is there argument/debate however unpalatable it maybe to some, or is there a gratuitous pleasure in personal abuse? That is in my humble opinion the issue at hand.
Old 13-07-2013, 21:47   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
So personal abuse is quite acceptable on Accrington Web is it? I call it disgraceful. And what is more, if there are numerous forumites out there who think this kind of thing is OK, I feel really sorry for you all. None of it hurts me but look into your hearts (if you have any) and consider how low your behaviour has sunk.
Thats not personal abuse, just pointing out thats how you come across on Accy Web, I'm sure there are several members who agree that your not right in your head, hence the milk bottle top award.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 21:49   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
And blackmailing Tesco isn't disgraceful, Phil?
Michael, I daresay you have seen the mighty fall over recent weeks and months. The 'great and the good' have been found wanting. Feet of clay.
Let me assure you there is a crime for every boy and girl. Search your heart and you might just be a little bit afraid. The police knock very loudly on the door - much louder than the postman.
Old 13-07-2013, 22:33   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The great n good have always been found wanting, But come on, yeh can't compare yerself to the mighty. Whilst i agree there is a crime fer everyone, most people will not get banged up fer theirs.
Old 13-07-2013, 23:20   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
The issue is here in Accrington Web and how members are interacting with one another. Is there argument/debate however unpalatable it maybe to some, or is there a gratuitous pleasure in personal abuse? That is in my humble opinion the issue at hand.
The issue is a lowlife like you having the brass neck to pontificate to us about how to behave. You're a hypocrite plain and simple.
Old 14-07-2013, 08:34   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Dickheads get treated like dickheads, if you don't like it stop being one or sod of like your brother did
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..