Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 07:28   #1
Junior Member+

Marsden Family

Hi, I'm new here, but have done some searching for my husbands family - I'm trying to find anyone who has links to the MArsden Family - particularly those that lived in MARSDEN STREET through the 1850's - 1900's. This family also lived in WOODNOOK before Marsden Street was built. My husbands grandfather was Arthur Marsden (b 1884), and he was the youngest of 9 children. Arthurs father was Mark William Marsden (b c.1845), and he was the Son of James Marsden and Ann Maden.

Thank you!
bagpuss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-10-2008, 15:08   #2
I am Banned

Re: Marsden Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpuss1 View Post
Hi, I'm new here, but have done some searching for my husbands family - I'm trying to find anyone who has links to the MArsden Family - particularly those that lived in MARSDEN STREET through the 1850's - 1900's. This family also lived in WOODNOOK before Marsden Street was built. My husbands grandfather was Arthur Marsden (b 1884), and he was the youngest of 9 children. Arthurs father was Mark William Marsden (b c.1845), and he was the Son of James Marsden and Ann Maden.

Thank you!
There is a James and Ann Marsden with a son Mark in Adelaide St, in the 1851 Census.
The same family is in the 1841 census, at the same house, with a daughter Elizabeth. In 1841 Adelaide St was called Swan St.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 16:04   #3
God Member

My fraternal grandmother was Margaret Amelia Marsden (see pic)
She had 2 sisters - Lily and Elsie.
She married Benjamin Rothwell and they lived at 15 Stanley St Oswaldtwistle.
She died in the late 40s when I was still a child. I know little about her background except that her father was a schoolmaster and a lay preacher, at Immanuel school Oswaldtwistle
If you come across these names in your search we may be related.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Margaret Amelia Rothwell.jpg (125.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by MargaretR; 10-10-2008 at 16:10.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 21:20   #4
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
There is a James and Ann Marsden with a son Mark in Adelaide St, in the 1851 Census.
The same family is in the 1841 census, at the same house, with a daughter Elizabeth. In 1841 Adelaide St was called Swan St.

Retlaw.
Thanks - I didn't realise Swan St was Adelaide Street. Yes, this is the right family.
Old 12-10-2008, 21:30   #5
I am Banned

Re: just saying hello!

Hi Bagpuus1

Accrington library has a large collection of photos of Accrington, as do some of the members of Accy Web, which streets are you after.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Mick; 13-10-2008 at 08:11.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 07:56   #6
Junior Member+

Re: just saying hello!

I was after the lower end of Omerod Street (number 12) -which I think must be long gone - I guess the house was opposite Globe Works. Also, Maden Street - which i think is not long gone, given the age of the house built where it once was. um.... upper end of Waterloo street 108 - again, replaced by flats. the list is huge. My Husbands family know so little about their own recent history, and it helps build a picture of the life they led - esp knowing 9 children were raised in a ?3 bed house in Marsden Street. Not unusual I know, but beyond most of our understanding.
Old 15-10-2008, 21:02   #7

Help or hinder I don't know but I once worked with a guy called John Marsden who lived on Lydia Street which runs off Marsden Street. I recall that he claimed to be related to Gerry Marsden of "Gerry and the Pacemakers" fame. Explore this and you may be have relations of mersey beat fame (NB note "claimed" there may be a whole lot of disclaimers associated with this statement lol)
Also I too have descendants that lived on Marsden Street at the turn of the century. I beleive their mane was Collier.
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..