Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2010, 06:58   #1

Question Old schooldays friend

Anyone know of Ernie Machin (Matches)?- used to live with an aunt in house on the corner of Crown St. opposite Howard & bullows when it was a munitions factory during the w.w.2. Would be in his late 70's now. I was living with my Grandparents in Crown St. for a few years, I think thier hse. No. was 10, and I attended the St. John's school (opposite the Catholic Sch.). I moved back to Haslingden when I was 10, but returned 3Yrs. later to attend the Accy Tech. college (for building trades). Alen.
aussieal is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-04-2010, 11:49   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Old schooldays friend

I knew an Ernie Machin from Accrington who lived in Edinburgh in the 70's. I think he moved back to Accrington in the late 70's. Don't know what happened to him when he returned to Accy.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 23:09   #3
Senior Member+

Summat up here. St John's school was , and still is, opposite St John's Church, which is C of E, but not Catholic.
There are no Machins in Crown St in the1951 directory . In fact no Machins shown anywhere in it. Mr A. Andrews, a slater, is at 10 Crown St. This is not the same Mr A. Andrews who was friendly with Peter Brough
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 09:13   #4

I remember an Ernie Machin, who lived somewhere around the area mentioned. Don't know what happened to him, but he did exist.
Stephanie Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:24   #5

Don't know about St John's but do know that one corner of Crown St was Willows lane, and the other was Richmond Street. I think that Ernie may have atended St. Peter's School, next to St. Oswalds which was the school which I attended. I will try to find out more info.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:27   #6

Ernie Machin certainly lived in the area you mention. I think he may have attended St. Peter's School. The corners of Crown St., have streets named Willows Lane, and Richmond Street. I lived in this area near Howard and Bolloughs Ammuniton factory. My father worked there.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..