Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-09-2009, 23:27   #76
Junior Member+

Re: Paddock House-old Friends

I think I was in the year above you Gayle - I can remember Sister Mary Loyola, Sister Mary Catherine (1 alpha form tutor!) and Sister Mary Gertrude was the head. I have happy memories of my school days and can still recall the school hymn!!
I didn't do Latin - thank goodness!
Gayle - were you in "The Diary of Ann Frank"???
AnneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2009, 05:04   #77
Junior Member+

Which of you was around my age, 70, but a couple of years less? I was wondering if you knew of the Kennedy sisters, Eileen and Margaret. Eileen died at a very young age of 21
They lived in Accrington. Eileen came to my wedding in Liverpool but sadly passed away about a year later..
annemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 15:33   #78
Passed away 25-11-09

I'm 66 so not that much younger than you. I remember a girl who was always ill all through school and could never stand for long or do anything physical. She was a few years older than me and I know she died not long after she left school. Was that her?
Old 30-09-2009, 23:12   #79
Junior Member+

Yes, that was Eileen Kennedy. She was very far behind in school because of her illness. Kidney problems, I think. Lovely, sweet girl. Red straight hair. Her sister Margaret would be around your age. She had dark curly hair. I used to go to their house on Entwistle Road.
I even went when I was about 7 months pregnant with my first child, Bernadette. Her mother wrote saying that Eileen was very ill and would I like to see her. Eileen passed away about a week or so before Bernadette was born but they did not tell me till a couple of weeks later. I still have eileen's Mass Card. Another girl that died just after she started First Form was Mary Broadley. She had Kidney problems too. They both went to the Junior School.
annemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 15:36   #80

My aunt Margaret (Broadley) went to Paddock House. She died in 1981 aged 60 of a heart attack. She had thyroid problems earlier in life. I have met an old girl from Paddock House at Catholic Family History meetings and she has told me a bit about it. I didn't know there were other Broadleys there. I am interested in all the Broadleys and wondered who the parents were of the Mary Broadley who died young? best wishes, Marie
Marie Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 13:13   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Ball View Post
My aunt Margaret (Broadley) went to Paddock House. She died in 1981 aged 60 of a heart attack. She had thyroid problems earlier in life. I have met an old girl from Paddock House at Catholic Family History meetings and she has told me a bit about it. I didn't know there were other Broadleys there. I am interested in all the Broadleys and wondered who the parents were of the Mary Broadley who died young? best wishes, Marie
I can remember a girl called Anne Broadley at Paddock. She used to play defence in the school netball team. A very attractive tall girl and I think she lived in Accy. She would be about 63/4 now, but I have no other info. Sorry.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 19:48   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneW View Post
I think I was in the year above you Gayle - I can remember Sister Mary Loyola, Sister Mary Catherine (1 alpha form tutor!) and Sister Mary Gertrude was the head. I have happy memories of my school days and can still recall the school hymn!!

Only just seen this, sorry.

Yes, i was in Diary of Ann Frank - I played Miep Gies.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 06:24   #83

Susan, I went to Park Hill convent primary school with Ann Broadley, I think I have a group photo somewhere, yes she was a pretty girl. I think she lived in Padiham or Burnley. Other girls who went from Park Hill to Paddock were Ann Woods, stella Douglas, ann pemberton, Sara Pickles, a lot of Ann's then wernt there, and a girl called Cooper, cant remember her first name.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 08:27   #84

Only just see this Alan.
I knew Stella Douglas quite well, We were both 'shooters' in the school netball team, but I've no ideas what happened to her.
The other names you mentioned are unknown to me.
Thks for interest anyway
Old 01-06-2010, 06:31   #85

Im sure you would have known Elizabeth & Ann Gilbraith and Judith Pilling,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:13   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Im sure you would have known Elizabeth & Ann Gilbraith and Judith Pilling,
Yes I did, and if I'm not mistaken, they were in Paddock House junior school with me.
What ever happened to them?
I've a class photo somewhere, so I'll dig it out and send on
Old 08-06-2010, 11:04   #87
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
I can remember a girl called Anne Broadley at Paddock. She used to play defence in the school netball team. A very attractive tall girl and I think she lived in Accy. She would be about 63/4 now, but I have no other info. Sorry.
Yes , she transferred to Paddock House from Holy Family.Because she did well at Holy Family , and it was the practice at the time to allow a few to transfer , she made the move.
She was not allowed to stay at Paddock House.She got a Saturday job at , I think , Woolworths.Her parents were told that this was not permissable and that if she kept the job she would have to leave Paddock.Her parents did not agree with the school , so Anne was expelled.
She then went to the College of Further Education.
She has three grown-up children and now lives near Knott End.Sadly her husband died aged 63 about a year ago.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 19:00   #88
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Ball View Post
Your Aunt Margaret was no relation to Anne Broadley.
Anne lived on East Crescent , Laneside , Accy.
Her father , Wilf , spent all of his working life at Broad Oak.
Her mother , Marie , suffered badly from arthritis , especially in her later years when she became housebound.
They were both active members of St. Joseph's church , Wilf being one of the parishioners who built the church under the direction of the Rev. Joseph Stack.
Old 08-06-2010, 19:10   #89
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneW View Post
Sister Mary Loyola was one of the Walsh family who lived in Primrose St. Accy.
Her father worked at Howard and Bulloughs. He was one of nature's gentlemen.
Of his children two became priests , members of the Society of Jesus , and three became nuns , two Sisters of Mercy and one a Cross and Passion Sister.
Old 14-07-2010, 12:21   #90

I went to Paddock from 1967-1974 and remember Sr Mary Gertrude, Sr Mary Loyola, Sr Mary Catherine and Mother Mary Magdalene. I would like to get in touch with Judith Redman from Edenfield. I think her married name was Hocken. We lost touch when I emigrated to Canada and she went to live in Germany. Does anybody know where she is now?
Thanks!
ncc 1701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..