Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2010, 17:58   #1
Junior Member+

Lightbulb Penny House, Accrington

Dear all

I am researching Walmsley's in Accrington and surrounding area, I have a death certificate dated 1862 and the 1861 census state that my Walmsley's were living at Penny House, Old Accrington. Does anybody know what Penny House was and where it was in Accrington.

Looking at the 1861 census there were more than 1 family living there, including 2 different families of Walmsleys and I am trying to work out if the heads of house could have been brothers.

Any information on Penny House would be most grateful.

Thanks
Sharman
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-06-2010, 18:03   #2
God Member

Re: Penny House, Accrington

i don't know of a Penny House but i know of a Penny House Lane, its just to the left of the lights on Burnley road, maybe that was a lane that led to Penny House? i'm only assuming though
Old 27-06-2010, 18:06   #3
God Member

here is where Penny House Cottages are, it might give you a rough idea, or maybe a start

penny house cottages accrington - Google Maps
Old 27-06-2010, 19:02   #4

Penny House was situated in Penny House Lane near the railway bridge and was demolished to make way for the construction of Queens Road according to the book "The Old Homesteads of Accrington & District" by Ainsworth. There are 3 pages of information about the history of the house but no mention of the Walmsley Family there
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 19:03   #5

Just looked in the index of the book and there is quite a bit of info about the Walmsley Family which may help with your research later on
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 20:21   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharman View Post
Dear all

I am researching Walmsley's in Accrington and surrounding area, I have a death certificate dated 1862 and the 1861 census state that my Walmsley's were living at Penny House, Old Accrington. Does anybody know what Penny House was and where it was in Accrington.

Looking at the 1861 census there were more than 1 family living there, including 2 different families of Walmsleys and I am trying to work out if the heads of house could have been brothers.

Any information on Penny House would be most grateful.

Thanks
Sharman
There are Walmsleys mentioned living in New Accrington as far back as 1527.
Several Walmsleys paid taxes to the King in 1660 when Charles II returned to the throne.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 17:07   #7
Resting in Peace

Feel like I am becoming the map lady ..

Here are two maps Sharman... one showing where it was and the other overlaid with a more up-to-date version to give you some orientation.

I think this map is around 1840 >> 45 (before the railway anyway)

The road is, of course, Burnley Road.

Retlaw probably knows .. but the grouch always makes me work for information..lol.

Penny house about 1840.jpg

penny house.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 17:04   #8
Senior Member+

Any of your "Victorian" Walmsleys a publican? If so, plenty of info for you.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 18:51   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Feel like I am becoming the map lady ..
Better that than a Bag lady Katex, & besides I reckon your maps have been quite helpful to folk looking to pick out places.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 22:55   #10
Junior Member+

Only just joined the site so only seeing this post for the first time. I have several families of Kenyons also having children born at Penny house. Some at Plantation house too. Wondering what the houses were for. Workers at a mill, the poor or some kind of workhouse maybe.
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..