Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 16:41   #16
God Member

Re: roe greave road, ossy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I always presumed they were originally Cornish.

I always thought he looked like he could have been an extra in Poldark.

Very dark wavy hair, swarthy complexion.

There are quite a few families in the area, with ties to Cornwall.

I think they came for work in the mills, when the tin mines were laying folk off.
Must have been a bit of a let down having to leave Cornwall behind for the dark satanic mills...

Mind you the local Demelza's probably appreciated the new genetic influx!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2012, 18:20   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh may be right Di, the tribe i knew came from Plymouth originally.
I am guessing the tribe you knew cashy lived on Dowry street, their name was Tregartha, not Tregurtha. They were Ronnie and Edna, and had a few sons and daughters, Norman, Rowland, Sheila, Ann and some more. They are distant relations to the Tregurtha's, we think many years ago when the records were hand written some one didn't finish the "a" off at the top so it looked like a "u" and from then on that branch was Tregurtha.
Norman changed his surname to Blight after his mother's maiden name, she was from Plymouth also.

The two families are related through the great grandfather so the mistake must have happened from him onwards.
Old 01-09-2012, 19:48   #18

i know this thread is all over the place but the readers fruit and veg was there,, i remember it well going down past it every day on my way to moor end primary school, straight facing readers was a small shop maybe paper shop or toffee shop? not sure, we lived at jack house farm originally, but thats maybe another thread,.
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 20:06   #19
Senior Member+

It would be much easier if members knew what your name is/.was . Nobody will remember Janloot
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 20:55   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloot View Post
my name is mcclinton
Dobson, start paying attention or it'll be late detention for you!
janloot likes this.
Old 02-09-2012, 14:33   #21

Quote:
my father married into the catlows, they originally had the pub, was barbara married to jack catlow decorater, or was she their daughter?, my step mother was hilda,
Barbara was their daughter and she married an Ossie lad Albert Dean
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 14:37   #22

Quote:
Sorry for butting in again, but that post reminded me of another shop, that was just round the corner, from the start of Roe Greave Road, and was there, certainly in the sixties, because I was togged out in there.

Hilda's Baby Linen shop.

On the other corner was Reader's fruit and veg.

They had a daughter who was a teenager then, a friend of my Mum's, called Kathleen Reader.
Remember both of those shops, Hilda Taylor's and Reader's. Kathleen was a beautiful girl and I can remember her sister Doreen. Across the road there was a sweet shop near a chippy!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 14:40   #23

did she have a sister, kathleen rings a bell, be 50 years since i left ossy, memorys a bit dodgey.i think barbaras dad was called jack, jack was one of my stepmothers brothers.
Old 02-09-2012, 14:42   #24

my sister was doreen mcclinton, she now lives in clayton le moors, maybe a different doreen,
Old 02-09-2012, 15:51   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I am guessing the tribe you knew cashy lived on Dowry street, their name was Tregartha, not Tregurtha. They were Ronnie and Edna, and had a few sons and daughters, Norman, Rowland, Sheila, Ann and some more. They are distant relations to the Tregurtha's, we think many years ago when the records were hand written some one didn't finish the "a" off at the top so it looked like a "u" and from then on that branch was Tregurtha.
Norman changed his surname to Blight after his mother's maiden name, she was from Plymouth also.

The two families are related through the great grandfather so the mistake must have happened from him onwards.
Yep thats em gremlin, they lived same block as me,opposite side. Ronnie did one n Nat moved in wi Edna,
Old 02-09-2012, 16:19   #26
Give, give, give member

The chippy's still there, though the old sweet's shop's a barbers.

When I started going into the sweet shop in the sixties, it was called Mrs. Taylor's.

You could take a short cut to Moor End if you went through the ginnel, that ran between the sweet shop and the doctor's surgery, which is now the dentist's.

It only sold sweets.

All the usual jars, coconut mushrooms, humbugs, mint imperials etc., and a few boxes of chocolates for the rare adult.

Two glass cases of penny sweets, for her more usual, tiny customers.

She must have had the patient of a saint.

'One, no two white mice please Mrs. Taylor, and one Black Jack, some Spanish shoelaces, one shrimp please, and I'll have the rest in gob stoppers.'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 16:23   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

See the Gobstoppers didn't work.
Old 02-09-2012, 16:24   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
did she have a sister, kathleen rings a bell, be 50 years since i left ossy, memorys a bit dodgey.i think barbaras dad was called jack, jack was one of my stepmothers brothers.
Up until they did up the Market Hall, Kathleen sold handbags in there.

She was still a very attractive woman then.

Old 02-09-2012, 16:29   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
See the Gobstoppers didn't work.
No, well they wouldn't.

I posted the order of the kid in front of me.

I only ever bought those childrens' cigarette sweets, and wine gums.

Or for special occasions, a Spanish pipe, and edible baccy.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:43   #30
God Member

Quote:
No, well they wouldn't.

I posted the order of the kid in front of me.

I only ever bought those childrens' cigarette sweets, and wine gums.

Or for special occasions, a Spanish pipe, and edible baccy.

For us girls it was necklaces instead of shoelaces(little pink and yellow sweets on elastic!), lovehearts, parma violets and healthier fruit salad instead of mojos!

For special occasions Midget gems, cherry lips, curlywurlys and my favourites which have always been sasparilla drops (preferably Stockleys).

Early teens had a big phase of eating Revels - Revels originally had orange creme, coconut, toffee, or peanut centres, along with Galaxy Counters!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..